Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Steelers who must step up this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
1. Jason Worilds - He's got a large amount of doubters and a small amount who actually believe in him. If he fails at ROLB he'll be cut next offseason, you can bank on it. He has to step up and prove he deserves the opportunity he's been given, maybe for a lack of options.

2. LaMarr Woodley - it is a proven fact, all you have to do is tune into the games, that when Woodley struggles the defense struggles. He was fat and lazy this season, in 2013 he needs to pull his head out of his backside and get his s**t together.

3. THE ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE - It's time to stop keeping the bench warm and start protecting your QB.

4. Heyward - it's time they give him the reigns and he needs to prove he deserves them and wasn't just a wasted 1st round pick.

5. Jonathan Dwyer - Our running game last season sucked. Unless we come out of this draft with a legit running back (Bell, Lattimore, a hidden gem?) he is what we have to rely on.. He needs to prove himself reliable.

6. Antonio Brown/Emmanuel Sanders - they both need to step up, the entire receiving Corps, including Wallace, was garbage last year. They were pathetically inconsistent. They're our #1 & #2 WR this season, they need to prove that they should be.

7. Cortez Allen - I believe he's going to be a great Corner, he's got be really good though, he's got big-ish shoes to fill.

8. Curtis Brown - C'mon man...WIN the Nickel spot, because if you don't, if you can't, this is your last season as a Steeler, that I almost guarantee.

9. Maurkice Pouncey - We need a leader on that offensive line, he's gotta be that guy. He's gotta lead that line and keep them on the same page.

10. The Coaching Staff (yep I went off the reservation here) - The Coaching staff, specifically Mike Tomlin made some seriously questionable decisions last season on 4th down, 2 pt attempts (or not), etc. When the game starts the decision making has to be better, smarter, more on key with the situations they are facing. It has to be to win the game, not to 'not lose the game'.

Cheater!

1-Adams (Protect the Blindside)
2-Gilbert (Stop falling on people!)
3-Pouncey (Play every Play)
4-Antonio (You the Man now!)
5-Woodley (Bring the heat)
6-Worlids (Bring the heat)
7-RB (Whomever that is)
8-Allen (Are you ready?)
9-Sanders (Catch the ball!)
10-Paulson (Fill the shoes)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
@WW: Im sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. Did you criticize the FO when we made the picks? As I recall, most people thought the draft from last year went really well. Only people criticize it after the fact. Then, you go on how the scouting department for us is [inappropriate/removed] poor, then say Heyward hasn't played many snaps in his career. Is the scouting department supposed to be the Defensive Coordinator too?? That's all on Lebeau / Mitchell.
.... They haven't done much because they've been back ups. That's why I say it's time for them to step up and perform since a lot of these guys aren't going to be back ups this year and if they are they'll be a player who will get a lot of snaps.

You can't always put it on the coaches either, a lot of it is on the player himself. This is the pros not college, players have to learn from their coaches but its more on themselves to do the extra work to make this elf productive starters.

But WW is placing the blame on the FO which is what I don't get.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@WW: Im sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. Did you criticize the FO when we made the picks? As I recall, most people thought the draft from last year went really well. Only people criticize it after the fact. Then, you go on how the scouting department for us is [inappropriate/removed] poor, then say Heyward hasn't played many snaps in his career. Is the scouting department supposed to be the Defensive Coordinator too?? That's all on Lebeau / Mitchell.

I STILL think the draft last season went well. Rainey & Ta'amu still have the talent, they chose to waste it. That, I dont' blame on the Front Office.

However, yes, I HAVE criticized the Front office in the past on picks, such as Spaeth, Gay, Edwards, Hood, Worilds, and a few others who actually ended up working out to my surprise. Btw, in my 'need to step up' portion of my post, did you miss the part where I said "the coaching staff"?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
.... They haven't done much because they've been back ups. That's why I say it's time for them to step up and perform since a lot of these guys aren't going to be back ups this year and if they are they'll be a player who will get a lot of snaps.

You can't always put it on the coaches either, a lot of it is on the player himself. This is the pros not college, players have to learn from their coaches but its more on themselves to do the extra work to make this elf productive starters.

But WW is placing the blame on the FO which is what I don't get.

I'm not blaming the Front Office. I was simply illustrating that they are not free of criticism. I think the ENTIRE Organization, from ownership to players has played a part in getting us to where we are right now.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the biggest reason it bothers me when people get so bent out of shape when anyone criticizes the Front Office. They are clearly not doing a good enough job on scouting talent considering some of the biggest producing players in the NFL in recent history, have been within reach of the Steelers when they've chosen to select someone else..who hasn't been productive. 2 Examples, Navorro Bowman & Sean Lee.

Perhaps they felt those guys didn't fit what they wanted in an ILB, alright, fair enough. But you can't keep making excuses for a Front Office that isn't coming away from the draft with guys that are producing on a regular basis. To have 2 former 1st round selections that have yet to really take the next step in production..heck Heyward hasn't even taken his first step, that's a major problem. That sets you back AT LEAST 2 seasons, probably more because you can't fill other holes since you'd have to replace those guys, hypothetically.

What do you think that looks like?? Like I said how can you blame the scouting department for Heyward not being played that much the last few years?? Their job is to draft players. I also like how everyone was in favor of last years draft at draft time, but now people are against who we took. Makes no sense.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Quote:
This is the biggest reason it bothers me when people get so bent out of shape when anyone criticizes the Front Office. They are clearly not doing a good enough job on scouting talent considering some of the biggest producing players in the NFL in recent history, have been within reach of the Steelers when they've chosen to select someone else..who hasn't been productive. 2 Examples, Navorro Bowman & Sean Lee.

Perhaps they felt those guys didn't fit what they wanted in an ILB, alright, fair enough. But you can't keep making excuses for a Front Office that isn't coming away from the draft with guys that are producing on a regular basis. To have 2 former 1st round selections that have yet to really take the next step in production..heck Heyward hasn't even taken his first step, that's a major problem. That sets you back AT LEAST 2 seasons, probably more because you can't fill other holes since you'd have to replace those guys, hypothetically.

What do you think that looks like?? Like I said how can you blame the scouting department for Heyward not being played that much the last few years?? Their job is to draft players. I also like how everyone was in favor of last years draft at draft time, but now people are against who we took. Makes no sense.

I agree that I think it's the Coaching Staff's fault Heyward has been put on the back burner, which is why I also added them to my "need to step up" among other reasons, That's fair, to say my criticizing comes across as blaming, truth be told, yes, I'm blaming the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION, includnig the coaches and players, for getting themselves in this situation.

I'm in 100% support of last years draft. It was a quality draft. Ta'amu and Rainey are just headcases. The staff felt they wouldn't a problem, they were wrong. It happens.

I'll gladly eat crow, serioulsy GLADLY, if Heyward is played and Hood Steps up and Worilds proves he is going to be our long term ROLB and do a great job at it. I'll be satisfied if the offensive line does what it was drafted to do. But right now, there's plenty of criticism warranted. The FRONT OFFICE needs to step up on draft day.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ben should be at number 1, and you dont even have him in your top 10?

Ben needs to show he is growing into this offense and becoming more of a leader. If he doesnt do that, the team will go nowhere.

1. Ben
2. The Carpenter
3. Whoever plays LT (Adams/Gilbert/rookie?)
4. Whoever plays NT
5. Tez
6. Manny Sanders
7. Jason Worlids
8. Whoever starts at TE
9. Pouncey
10. DeCastro

Ben? He was in discussion to be the MVP last season before he got hurt. He wasn't the same player when he got back. I wouldn't put Ben on this list at all. Ben will be fine. Others I have concern about.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should rank the top 10 posters who need to step it up!! Cool
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Maybe we should rank the top 10 posters who need to step it up!! Cool

That's funny. I'm sure you're talking about me, but listen, are you really saying that the Front Office DOESN'T deserve ANY of the blame?
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even thought he won't be forced into a starting role this year, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sean Spence.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Even thought he won't be forced into a starting role this year, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sean Spence.

It's not fair to say Sean Spence. He hasn't been able to do anything thus far because of the injury. He hasn't truly even had a chance to prove himself.
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Big Ben
2. Dwyer stop taking a break every freaking play
3. Antonio Brown get back to what you were doing in 2011
4. Troy Polamalu-We cannot have what happened last year
5. Ziggy Hood-has to be more consistent
6. Steve McClendon-more consistent on run plays
7. Manny Sanders-cant have bone head plays in big moments
8. Drew Butler-Punter is a defense's best friend
9. Lamarr Woodley-Dude you need to drop 15-20 pounds
10. Mike Tomlin-Alot of questionable choices last year, good coach but needs to learn from last years mistakes.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coaches. Get the right players on the field and don't rely on injuries to make that happen.

I agree with the players that need to step up, and some of them could be traded or released if they don't. No need to mention who at this time, that will be in the off season .

Last year woodley was the most disappointing and then timmons at the first half of the season. Gilbert wasn't far from them, he really regressed. Dwyer was not far from them either. Too many on this team underachieved and makes one think the work ethic in general is not good.

DD could be a good player once healthy, we can expect that. Same with Adams, but these coaches might have found another colon in beachum Rolling Eyes

TE - if miller is out then who ever is there needs to step up.

It could all be for nothing if other teams can run the ball at will which will really open up the passing game and with c.brown and willie 22 we know what that will spell Idea

This team needs to run the ball consistently and pouncey needs to play better. I don't know why all the media thinks so much of him. Fort us he was a nice replacement for what was on the team before but never close to all the media hype. Is he even in the top 10 for centers?
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:

he's quite possibly done with football
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy just needs to get on the field. He can probably still play at a top 5 S level, he just isn't on the field. So it's not like you can tell a guy to "step up" from being injured.

I look at "step up" more so as Antonio Brown needing to own the number 1 WR spot, and stop dropping so many passes. Or Jason Worilds delivering in the ROLB spot that he's been handed. Or DeCastro coming on now that he's healthy and played a few NFL games.

I do agree that Ben needs to "step up" in certain ways. On the field, I think he's an excellent QB. But as said, he never truly took ownership of the offense. He never truly embraced it as a leader. That needs to change. You can't be ripping the offense and OC to the press after losses, especially when you go out and throw boneheaded pick 6's to lose the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: