Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft Modified

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft Modified Reply with quote

We did a lot in FA, but Chris Dahl is not a safety I want starting. Until we know what we have in A.J. Jenkins we shouldn't draft another wide receiver. I believe the forty-niners needs are safety, cornerback, defensive end, running back, nose tackle, center, and wide receiver (our least need). I realize we can’t get all of this in one year, but we can get most of it. Frank Gore will need a replacement in a year or two and Justin Smith will in 2-3 years. Immediate concerns are safety with Donte Whitner near the end of his career. My suggest draft is as follows:

#31-Eric Reed, S
#34-D.J. Hayden, CB
#61-Johnathan Hankins, NT
#74-Phillip Thomas, S
#93-Marcus Lattimore, RB
#128-Brian Schwenke, C
#131-Joe Krueger, DE
#157-Walter Stewart, OLB
#164-Traded to Cleveland
#173-Nick Kasa, TE
#180-Chris Faulk, OT
#246–Dustin Hopkins, K or Caleb Sturgis, K
#252- Quentin Dial, DE

I believe Lattimore may go higher than the 4th round, but because of his injury we could afford to sit him on IR as well as Walter Stewart for a year. TE Nick Kasa is 272 lbs. and a good run blocker. It would be like having an extra OT on running plays and still has pass catching ability. Unsure what the seventh round picks are and which we have left. As for Hayden he is the third best CB in the draft talent wise but has some injury history. If the defensive ends don’t pan out next year that and WR would be prime needs in 2014. I would have liked to get Jonathan Cyprien and Reid both, but we need a CB replacement next year for Carlos.

Last edited by Johnz5429 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were our draft haul? I'd be smiling enough on Monday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft alot.

Reid, Hayden and Thomas are quality DB's....would love to have them at the back for the 49ers.

However i disagree with you at the WR position.

Crabtree, Boldin and Maningham......are a very solid trio, but they all come with concerns.

Crabs is coming off contract soon and could command big $ if he keeps playing like he did last season.

Boldin is gettin on in age.

Manningham and Kyle Williams are both coming off season ending injuries...and we dont quite know how they will return.

Jenkins is a mystery at present.....lets hope he can contribute this year.

Would not mind drafting another WR early. If K Allen falls to #31 i would draft him in a heartbeat....he is a top ten prospect in my opinon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I'd be happy with this draft. I'd be upset with certain picks here and there like the Hayden and Reid but the rest is okay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Phillip Thomas pick as he is a perfect fit in our scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be a happy camper with this draft

new sig... sorry alex
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
I like this draft alot.

Reid, Hayden and Thomas are quality DB's....would love to have them at the back for the 49ers.

However i disagree with you at the WR position.

Crabtree, Boldin and Maningham......are a very solid trio, but they all come with concerns.

Crabs is coming off contract soon and could command big $ if he keeps playing like he did last season.

Boldin is gettin on in age.

Manningham and Kyle Williams are both coming off season ending injuries...and we dont quite know how they will return.

Jenkins is a mystery at present.....lets hope he can contribute this year.

Would not mind drafting another WR early. If K Allen falls to #31 i would draft him in a heartbeat....he is a top ten prospect in my opinon.

You maybe right about getting a WR, but I have a feeling we maybe be using more a 2 TE set and Boldin is a faster TE more of a power reciever. More option read short to with more runs. Like I said we can't get everything and our basic philosphy is smash mouth football and strong defense. This happens to be a good DB draft and WR come out almost every year. Next year we could draft 2 in top 3 picks. A.J. Jenkins is an unknown. I hope he shows up strong. I am not sure our FO will pay top dollar for a WR so Crabtree may walk, but I feel it would be a mistake since he is coming into his own right now. We could franchise him for a year. I think we have one more year to get a WR. I remember Crabtree's holdout when drafted about wanting more money so he could be hard to sign. Defensive end Dorsey could be a bonaza, this is why a top DE is of lesser importance to me this year. Harbaugh seems to like Lochette as a WR alot also, maybe he is a diamond in the rough. I think we will be okay for a year . Hope I am not wrong.
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft Reply with quote

Johnz5429 wrote:

#31-Eric Reed, S
#34-D.J. Hayden, CB
#74-Phillip Thomas, S
#93-Marcus Lattimore, RB
#128-Brian Schwenke, C
#131-Joe Krueger, DE
#157-Walter Stewart, OLB
#164-Traded to Cleveland
#173-Nick Kasa, TE
#180-Chris Faulk, OT
#252- Quentin Dial, DE

One of the reasons I love draft season is to see the diverging opinions of fans of the same team on what their team should do. It's fun. Overall, this draft is just kind of meh for me. I don't hate it, but i don't love it. There are definitely enough hits that if the niners made this draft, I would trust them and not be in a huff over it.

Quote:
#31-Eric Reid, S

6/10

Not a fan at all. He's my 7th ranked safety; he's even lower if you want to add in Amerson and Banks, both of whom I feel are better fits at safety then at corner. I think last year was a better indication of who Reid is more so than the year before when he was surrounded by one of the best secondaries in college football. I have resigned myself however to the fact that the 49ers probably love him and will take him at 31 or 34, and they tend to know a little more than I do.

Quote:
#34-D.J. Hayden, CB

8/10

Still not quite sure what to make of Hayden. His stock is all over the place. He's got good tape, and a lot of the scouts love him, but I'd probably still prefer Taylor. Still, he's obviously got a lot of talent, can play man, and his medical issue was such a random event that I don't think he should be considered a medical red flag. Would probably prefer a wide receiver either here or 31 (Hunter, Allen) over either of these first two guys though.

Quote:

5/10

One of my major bust alert guys and I've probably watched more of him than anyone else in the 49er forum. Very questionable motor and effort; far too often taken out of the play by just one blocker for his size. Disappears for very long stretches of time. I wouldn't even classify him as inconsistent...more just...disinterested sometimes? While other bigger d-line guys have made efforts to improve their weight/physique to enhance their draft spot (Jenkins supposedly lost 40 pounds! Shocked), you haven't heard much about Hankins doing much. He offers little in getting to the QB, has no versatility to anchor an end spot in a 3-4 and doesn't have great explosion to get a good push up the line. I personally feel that John Simon was a bigger factor on their defensive line then Hankins was. Would much rather look at DE rather than DT/NT in the first three picks, especially since this is such a deep position in this draft. Still, there's a little value here based on his pure talent alone, so if he busted it wouldn't be like a huge cost.

Quote:
#74-Phillip Thomas, S

9.25/10

Love this pick. I think this is more the direction we should be looking for in pairing someone with Whitner; more of a ball hawking center fielder type. He's got some technique issues, but most things are very coachable. I feel he has good natural instincts for the position, which are super important. I also love the idea of double dipping the safety position; if Reid does have the potential people see, he would benefit greatly from sitting a year (I think if the draft went this way, Thomas or McBath would win out for the starting spot over Reid).

Quote:
#93-Marcus Lattimore, RB

9/10

This is the absolute highest I'd be okay with drafting him, and I think he'll be gone prior to this, but if he's available here, I think his talent outweighs the risk. Any higher, and I question whether he has so much more talent then someone like Taylor or Christine Michael, both of whom can be had 2 rounds later, that his injury red flag would be inconsequential. As it is, in this spot, we stash him on IR for a year, let Gore be Gore for one more year, and then bring Lattimore out as a replacement the following year. We will never miss a beat.

Quote:
#128-Brian Schwenke, C

9/10

One of my favorites at this position; I still may prefer Quessenberry for his versatility, and Frederick may fit our offensive line mold a little bit better, but Schwenke may be the best overall center. Given the fact that its highly unlikely that Goodwin will be back next year, he gives added depth this year, spends time learning our convoluted blocking schemes, and steps in next year, most likely (in my opinion) with better results than Goodwin.

Quote:
#131-Joe Krueger, DE

8.25/10

My preference would be to address the DE spot long before this, but I like Kruger. High motor and effort guy, which is one of my preferences for prospects. For some reason, I could see us taking a very RayMac like stance with him; Kruger will not be a stud in my opinion, but i could see him playing a couple of years in a very limited rotational role, then us signing him to a cheap extension, and around year 3 or 4 have him step in and be a starter and underappreciated member of our defense. not sure why, I could just very easily see it playing out that way.

Quote:
#157-Walter Stewart, OLB

8.5/10

Major medical red flags, obviously, but he's got a ton of talent; more than people realize. Most definitely worth the risk here.

Quote:
#173-Nick Kasa, TE

8/10

very good value here, and I prefer addressing the second tight end spot between rounds 3-5 to maximize value overall in the draft. I think I may prefer Jake Stoneburner over Kasa, but I like Kasa just fine and as I said, he offers very good value here, although, I'm really curious to see whether or not he could beat out Celek for the tight end 2 spot. Celek has decent hands, and has a year on Kasa in knowing our complicated blocking schemes and formations. It would be a very interesting camp battle.

Quote:
#180-Chris Faulk, OT

X.XX/10

I don't know much about him (we had discussions about him in the FFMD thread), but I know that people really like him and we were thinking of taking him much higher than here, so I can only imagine this would be considered a steal.

Quote:

1/10

7th round pick or no, I'm actually very hard when people mock this selection to us. Logically, to me, it just doesn't make any sense and is like setting fire to that draft pick. We just signed Dawson to a 2 million dollar contract; we are not going to bring in competition for him. The job is his. We also aren't going to burn a practice squad spot on a kicker, so the idea of taking a kicker now makes absolutely no sense to me, 7th rounder or no.

Quote:
#252- Quentin Dial, DE

7/10

I always prefer depth and competition on the lines this late in the draft unless you get someone who really stumbles in the draft. I don't love Dial, but don't hate him either. Likely just camp fodder, but you never know.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Johnz5429 wrote:

#31-Eric Reed, S
#34-D.J. Hayden, CB
#74-Phillip Thomas, S
#93-Marcus Lattimore, RB
#128-Brian Schwenke, C
#131-Joe Krueger, DE
#157-Walter Stewart, OLB
#164-Traded to Cleveland
#173-Nick Kasa, TE
#180-Chris Faulk, OT
#252- Quentin Dial, DE

One of the reasons I love draft season is to see the diverging opinions of fans of the same team on what their team should do. It's fun. Overall, this draft is just kind of meh for me. I don't hate it, but i don't love it. There are definitely enough hits that if the niners made this draft, I would trust them and not be in a huff over it.

Quote:
#31-Eric Reid, S

6/10

Not a fan at all. He's my 7th ranked safety; he's even lower if you want to add in Amerson and Banks, both of whom I feel are better fits at safety then at corner. I think last year was a better indication of who Reid is more so than the year before when he was surrounded by one of the best secondaries in college football. I have resigned myself however to the fact that the 49ers probably love him and will take him at 31 or 34, and they tend to know a little more than I do.

Quote:
#34-D.J. Hayden, CB

8/10

Still not quite sure what to make of Hayden. His stock is all over the place. He's got good tape, and a lot of the scouts love him, but I'd probably still prefer Taylor. Still, he's obviously got a lot of talent, can play man, and his medical issue was such a random event that I don't think he should be considered a medical red flag. Would probably prefer a wide receiver either here or 31 (Hunter, Allen) over either of these first two guys though.

Quote:

5/10

One of my major bust alert guys and I've probably watched more of him than anyone else in the 49er forum. Very questionable motor and effort; far too often taken out of the play by just one blocker for his size. Disappears for very long stretches of time. I wouldn't even classify him as inconsistent...more just...disinterested sometimes? While other bigger d-line guys have made efforts to improve their weight/physique to enhance their draft spot (Jenkins supposedly lost 40 pounds! Shocked), you haven't heard much about Hankins doing much. He offers little in getting to the QB, has no versatility to anchor an end spot in a 3-4 and doesn't have great explosion to get a good push up the line. I personally feel that John Simon was a bigger factor on their defensive line then Hankins was. Would much rather look at DE rather than DT/NT in the first three picks, especially since this is such a deep position in this draft. Still, there's a little value here based on his pure talent alone, so if he busted it wouldn't be like a huge cost.

Quote:
#74-Phillip Thomas, S

9.25/10

Love this pick. I think this is more the direction we should be looking for in pairing someone with Whitner; more of a ball hawking center fielder type. He's got some technique issues, but most things are very coachable. I feel he has good natural instincts for the position, which are super important. I also love the idea of double dipping the safety position; if Reid does have the potential people see, he would benefit greatly from sitting a year (I think if the draft went this way, Thomas or McBath would win out for the starting spot over Reid).

Quote:
#93-Marcus Lattimore, RB

9/10

This is the absolute highest I'd be okay with drafting him, and I think he'll be gone prior to this, but if he's available here, I think his talent outweighs the risk. Any higher, and I question whether he has so much more talent then someone like Taylor or Christine Michael, both of whom can be had 2 rounds later, that his injury red flag would be inconsequential. As it is, in this spot, we stash him on IR for a year, let Gore be Gore for one more year, and then bring Lattimore out as a replacement the following year. We will never miss a beat.

Quote:
#128-Brian Schwenke, C

9/10

One of my favorites at this position; I still may prefer Quessenberry for his versatility, and Frederick may fit our offensive line mold a little bit better, but Schwenke may be the best overall center. Given the fact that its highly unlikely that Goodwin will be back next year, he gives added depth this year, spends time learning our convoluted blocking schemes, and steps in next year, most likely (in my opinion) with better results than Goodwin.

Quote:
#131-Joe Krueger, DE

8.25/10

My preference would be to address the DE spot long before this, but I like Kruger. High motor and effort guy, which is one of my preferences for prospects. For some reason, I could see us taking a very RayMac like stance with him; Kruger will not be a stud in my opinion, but i could see him playing a couple of years in a very limited rotational role, then us signing him to a cheap extension, and around year 3 or 4 have him step in and be a starter and underappreciated member of our defense. not sure why, I could just very easily see it playing out that way.

Quote:
#157-Walter Stewart, OLB

8.5/10

Major medical red flags, obviously, but he's got a ton of talent; more than people realize. Most definitely worth the risk here.

Quote:
#173-Nick Kasa, TE

8/10

very good value here, and I prefer addressing the second tight end spot between rounds 3-5 to maximize value overall in the draft. I think I may prefer Jake Stoneburner over Kasa, but I like Kasa just fine and as I said, he offers very good value here, although, I'm really curious to see whether or not he could beat out Celek for the tight end 2 spot. Celek has decent hands, and has a year on Kasa in knowing our complicated blocking schemes and formations. It would be a very interesting camp battle.

Quote:
#180-Chris Faulk, OT

X.XX/10

I don't know much about him (we had discussions about him in the FFMD thread), but I know that people really like him and we were thinking of taking him much higher than here, so I can only imagine this would be considered a steal.

Quote:

1/10

7th round pick or no, I'm actually very hard when people mock this selection to us. Logically, to me, it just doesn't make any sense and is like setting fire to that draft pick. We just signed Dawson to a 2 million dollar contract; we are not going to bring in competition for him. The job is his. We also aren't going to burn a practice squad spot on a kicker, so the idea of taking a kicker now makes absolutely no sense to me, 7th rounder or no.

Quote:
#252- Quentin Dial, DE

7/10

I always prefer depth and competition on the lines this late in the draft unless you get someone who really stumbles in the draft. I don't love Dial, but don't hate him either. Likely just camp fodder, but you never know.

Nice in-depth evaluation very precise and thoughtful. I agree with some but not all of it. You are probably right about the kicker situation but we should take a look and see if either is more accurate or has a stronger leg. Youth is on their side. I nixed a WR because Harbaugh really likes Lochette and drafted A.J. Jenkins jury still out on Jenkins. We have six WR Crabtree, Manningham(?), Kyle Williams, Jenkins,Boldin, and Lochette(possiblily)Our FO seems to be in no rush to get our draft picks on the field.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft Reply with quote

Johnz5429 wrote:

Nice in-depth evaluation very precise and thoughtful. I agree with some but not all of it. You are probably right about the kicker situation but we should take a look and see if either is more accurate or has a stronger leg. Youth is on their side. I nixed a WR because Harbaugh really likes Lochette and drafted A.J. Jenkins jury still out on Jenkins. We have six WR Crabtree, Manningham(?), Kyle Williams, Jenkins,Boldin, and Lochette(possiblily)Our FO seems to be in no rush to get our draft picks on the field.

Yeah, I understand that; whenever I look at a mock, I always do it with my own rankings and preferences in mind and not necessarily what i think our front office will do, which obviously will cause some differences. For example, I myself am ready to cut ties with Jenkins; i think he's a bust. Obviously the front office isn't going to think that way. Plus, when looking at a mock, I tend to prefer "my guys" lol. so I'm looking at it like that. There are obviously a lot of prospects and ways the draft could fall and I would be like "okay, i can see that", even if it's not what I "wanted" so to speak. It's a little unfair to mockers though, since I look at it from my perspective and not necessarily the teams lol.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I always do it with my own rankings and preferences in mind

when looking at a mock, I tend to prefer "my guys" lol. so I'm looking at it like that. There are obviously a lot of prospects and ways the draft could fall and I would be like "okay, i can see that", even if it's not what I "wanted" so to speak. It's a little unfair to mockers though, since I look at it from my perspective and not necessarily the teams lol.

SHOW US !!!

... and yeah, pretty much same here. I get stubbornly "attached" to about a dozen prospects each year... which is why I get disappointed about passing on or just not getting them... each year. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Mayock just raised D.J. Hayden to his #1 corner probably no chance of getting him in the second now, but Millner or Rhoades would be nice. This is a good DB class. I thought he was a diamond in the rough that had gone unnoticed. Nothing is 100% is it. All of it is just alot of guess work. i.e Tom Brady pick #199
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Path o the Draft on NFl network has us doing a homer pick of Zack Ertz. Not bad would give us a Patriot like TE duo or Marques Hunt saying after two years with Tomsula he be a probowler. I can't argue with that Tomsula is the best defensive line coach in the league and gets the most out of his players. I am excited to see who we pick. Hunt, Ertz, Reid, Rhoades, Cordelle Patterson, Cyprien, Sylvester Williams if around, Johnathan Hankins. All would be fine and improve our team . Nice possition to be in after many long lean years.

I was fortunate to be a niners fan before they became Super Bowl Champs in the 1980's. Anyone rmeber the million dollar backfield. Perry, Johnston, Tittle, and McElheny
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching most of my first 4 picks picked before our first rounder I have no idea what is right, but the nice thing we have alot o9f choices and Balke.
#31-Zack Ertz, TE
#34-Jonathan Cyprien, S
#41-Marques Hunt, DE
#61-Trade 292pts to move up #41
#93 0Trade 128 pts to move up #41
#131-Trade 41 pts to move up #41
#157-Trade 28.6 pts to move up to #41
#74- Phillip Thomas, S
#128-Marcus Lattimore, RB
#164 Traded to Clevleand
#173- Walter Stewart. OLB
#180-Gerlad Hodges, ILB
#236- Jordan Mills, OT
#247-Best avaialable WR

I changed my draft because They seem okay in FO with NT and like two TE sets and Ertz would be a nice replacement for Davis in 6-8 years gives us a couple of years to find another. Since not taking WR early we are going with more sprerad option and control football ie modified West Coast. Give Tomsula 2 years with Hunt and he could very well become a probowler. If need be could trade 6th and 7th to move up for Lattimore. He would sity on IR for a year. We would get two immediate starters a two potential starters. Better than last year!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: