Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft WR Position Rankings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Personally I see more Dexter McCluster than Percy Harvin. I also like Stedman Bailey more than Tavon Austin. Strictly when speaking about ability as a receiver.

I really think Austin is much more polished than McCluster as a receiver and route runner. He also has an extra gear that McCluster lacks. Though, Bailey probably has a better shot at playing on the outside.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
1. Cordarrelle Patterson
2. Tavon Austin

3. Robert Woods
4. DeAndre Hopkins
5. Markus Wheaton

6. Quinton Patton
7. Terrance Williams

8. Justin Hunter
9. Aaron Dobson

10. Da'Rick Rodgers

Re-worked my list. I clearly rank players with attitude and injury concerns lower. I tend to prefer players that play the game because they appear to have a passion for it over players that do it because they are physically gifted (think Bryant McKinnie).

I think Patterson and Austin offer a lot of the same skills despite the size difference. Both are freak athletes that will make a big impact opening day due to their special teams and yards after the catch abilities.

Woods, Hopkins, and Wheaton are three receivers that I believe have very competitive personalities. They are the ones that I see putting in the extra time to make themselves better. Whether it is route running, catching drills, or hitting the weights. All three are physically flawed to some extent but maybe that is why they seems to work on improving other areas.

I have Williams and Patton ranked together. They are arguably the best two run blocking receivers in my top 10 and I expect that to catch our teams attention. I have concerns about them creating separation in the NFL. When I watched both, I never really saw either literally run away from their defenders. Then you factor in how much better the competition is at the next level. Patton does have one thing going for him and that is the kid seems to have a knack for making tough catches.

I look at Hunter and Dobson as both being very good athletes but both being very raw as receivers. Basically both are boom or bust prospects because neither are going to offer much in the short to intermediate passing game. They have to be successful vertical threats to succeed.

I dropped Rodgers because I have doubts that he has changed. I think it is another Janoris Jenkins situation. I still expect him to be a good player but I do not want that type of potential distraction on the team. He even said he compares himself to Dez Bryant. I honestly was surprised he even made that comparison considering the baggage both have in common. From a ranking standpoint he deserves to be higher.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would Marquess(sp) Wilson go if not for the problems with the coach? I don't know much about him.
KeystoneViking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cckoonie wrote:
Where would Marquess(sp) Wilson go if not for the problems with the coach? I don't know much about him.

late second, early third I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like the trend as of late, is the possibility of Patterson still being on the board at #23. If he is gone I would be more than happy with "NUK" Hopkins at #23 or #25. Hopkins seems to have a knack for getting open and does a great job of high pointing the ball, very polished receiver. Patterson on the other hand is still extremely raw, but is an electrifying playmaker with excellent speed. There are a lot of receivers I'll be happy with in this years draft, but those are the two that I want the most.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cckoonie wrote:

Hard to tell. Wilson was in a prove it year before leaving the team. He had a great sophomore year and was wildly considered a first round pick. If had built on what he did in 2011, he would be a first round prospect. Probably right behind Austin, fighting with Patterson to be the #2 WR. However, if he had regressed a bit and performed as poor as he has during the draft process, I think he goes in the 3rd round. Of course this is all hypothetical, but Wilson is a good looking prospect that I expect to come off the board in the late 4th/early 5th.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is from a ranking from a friend of Frank Moore's, available here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/drive/share?ie=UTF8&s=pFkM_HqORDkqQbUTeGPyzE#

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Franks friend top 5 looks similar to mine

1. Patterson
2. Austin
3. Patton
4. Hopkins
5. Wheaton

Though, id rule out Austin for the Vikings all together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised to see Hopkins athleticism grade so low. I know hes not the athletic specimen that the UT guys are but wow, I wouldnt have pegged him as the least athletic WR in the top 10.

I have a strong feeling the Vikings will wait until round 2 to take a WR and my guess is that if Robert Woods is still on the board by 37-40 they will look to move up.

I'm really hoping we double up again this year at WR and take a chance on a guy like Marquess Wilson if hes available in round 5. As someone mentioned earlier, he is probably the 3rd or 4th best WR from a talent perspective and fits the mold of a long striding big bodied guy.

Take a guy like Woods in round 2, who is interchangeable between inside and out (along with Jennings), and Wilson in round 5 as a guy who can line up outside and make plays down the field/in the red zone and our WR core could quickly become a strength.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some leaked wonderlic scores.

Robert Woods - 23
Keenan Allen - 19
Justin Hunter - 12
Cordarelle Patterson - 11
Tavon Austin - 7

Along with some quotes from personnel people about the receivers.

Quote:
C.O. Brocato of the Tennessee Titans, the grand old man of NFL scouting, said IQ is a vital part of the wide-receiver equation.

"They say it's not but I think it is," Brocato said. "They say just put a guy out there with speed and let him go. Where is he going to go? If he can't learn, how is he going to play?"

Quote:
[On Patterson]"Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man said. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."

According to several teams, Patterson wasn't impressive during interviews at the combine. He also scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, which caused more consternation.

Quote:
"There's a huge correlation between experience playing the position in college and success in the NFL," one scout said. "Intelligence and work ethic are probably the two most important qualities because it's extremely tough."

Quote:
Allen and Woods just know how to play," an NFC personnel director said. "You throw them in, they're going to run the right route, get open and catch the ball.

"You can run fast 40s and be this and that, but if you don't know how to play it just kind of goes out the window."

Quote:
The Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel people to list their top five wide receivers and top four tight ends. At wide receiver, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

Patterson (seven firsts) led with 62 points, followed by Austin, 60 (six firsts); Allen, 40 (one first); Woods, 25; DeAndre Hopkins, 24 (one first); Hunter, 16; Terrance Williams, five; and Stedman Bailey and Quinton Patton, each four.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/tennessees-patterson-with-plenty-of-talent-and-question-marks-rt9i5uj-203524771.html
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Cordarelle's reported lack of academic skills into account, where does that put Tavon Austin then? Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrance Williams is really growing on me for our 2nd round pick. Highly productive college player, with good athleticism and decent size. Nobody seems to be talking.much about him. But I like him.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
Terrance Williams is really growing on me for our 2nd round pick. Highly productive college player, with good athleticism and decent size. Nobody seems to be talking.much about him. But I like him.

Don't get me started. Very Happy

Williams isn't a finished product but has tremendous upside. I like him for us because I believe he will be the best vertical receiver early in his career and we severely lack in that department. I think Torrey Smith is a elite vertical receiver that is still trying to put together his intermediate game. I'm fine with that. With Rudolph, Jennings, and Wright we have enough shallow receivers. We need a guy who can take the top off and that's Williams. His size and run blocking ability are bonuses.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel people to list their top five wide receivers and top four tight ends. At wide receiver, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

Patterson (seven firsts) led with 62 points, followed by Austin, 60 (six firsts); Allen, 40 (one first); Woods, 25; DeAndre Hopkins, 24 (one first); Hunter, 16; Terrance Williams, five; and Stedman Bailey and Quinton Patton, each four.

Despite the perception that Patterson may struggle with the mental aspects, its quite clear that doesnt seem to be an issue if the above stats are any indication to which WR will be taken first.

I think if Patterson goes to a team with a veteran presence at WR and QB, he should be fine. He doesnt have that veteran presence at QB, but he does at WR.

For me, Woods, Hopkins, Patton, Williams, and Wheaton are largely in the same grouping. Id be fairly content with either of these players in round two, but in round one, it might be a slight reach.

But if you prefer having first dibs, you take one of those players in round one.

Still surprised to see Allen get as much support as he is, but ultimately, he seems to be on par with that same grouping above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want nothing to do with Terrance Williams. His only fit is a vertical offense. He's more than just unpolished.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: