Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

50 years of Viking Drafts. The BEST and the WORST picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
I'm not defending the Underwood pick, no excuses for Denny on that one. I just think it's hard to classify the 29th pick in any draft as the worst pick of all-time. We didn't have Barry, D.T., and Deion sitting right there for us. Sure the Underwood pick hits close to home for us Viking fans, but that "worst pick ever" honor should be held for teams who had their pick of the litter and came away empty-handed.

As far as the "pick of the litter" question...what kind of grade do the Colts get for selecting not only the top pick, but the first 2 picks (like they did in 1992) and blowing both of them by picking Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt? (The Vikings had a decent draft that year, picking up Eddie McDaniel, Brad Johnson, Brad Culpepper, and Chuck Evans)

I don't think I fully understand the question. The Colts definitely blew the pick, but you have to look at the players that were drafted around them (the way teams ranked players in that class). I'd say they chose a really bad year to have the first 2 picks. By "pick of the litter" I was referring to specific situations like the Packers were in when they chose Tony Mandarich, it was a bad choice of words on my part.
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_allday2869 wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Normally, I would agree with you on the 29th pick factor, but that one went above and beyond just being the 29th pick.

As far as the "pick of the litter" question...what kind of grade do the Colts get for selecting not only the top pick, but the first 2 picks (like they did in 1992) and blowing both of them by picking Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt? (The Vikings had a decent draft that year, picking up Eddie McDaniel, Brad Johnson, Brad Culpepper, and Chuck Evans)

There's are always some really bad picks in the 1st round, especially at the bottom:
2008: 29th overall, Kentwan Balmer
2007: 29th overall, Montrell Mathieu-LeBlanc
*Those guys were just way to convenient to not include. Smile

But really, the only thing that made Underwood go above and beyond these guys is that everyone else saw it coming. I don't think that makes him a worse pick than these guys though, maybe a dumber pick by Denny, but not any worse than Montrell Mathieu.

29th overall was Ben Grubbs. I dont know if that guy has ever even played lol.

Haha, Wikipedia fail. I was wondering why I've never heard of the guy!

Wonder if he's related to Tyrann.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_nfl_draft

Last edited by ViKingHopeful on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
AP_allday2869 wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Normally, I would agree with you on the 29th pick factor, but that one went above and beyond just being the 29th pick.

There's are always some really bad picks in the 1st round, especially at the bottom:
2008: 29th overall, Kentwan Balmer
2007: 29th overall, Montrell Mathieu-LeBlanc
*Those guys were just way to convenient to not include. Smile

But really, the only thing that made Underwood go above and beyond these guys is that everyone else saw it coming. I don't think that makes him a worse pick than these guys though, maybe a dumber pick by Denny, but not any worse than Montrell Mathieu.

29th overall was Ben Grubbs. I dont know if that guy has ever even played lol.

Haha, Wikipedia fail. I was wondering why I've never heard of the guy!

Wonder if he's related to Tyrann.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_nfl_draft

It happens. I remember when TJ Housyamama was in for a visit a couple of years ago, wikipedia already had him anointed as a member of the Vikings.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Wikipedia error is funny!
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
That Wikipedia error is funny!

Didn't even click on his name to see who he was. Laughing I have way too much faith in Wikipedia!

His page is hilarious though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: