Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Redskins who need to step up in 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: 10 Redskins who need to step up in 2013 Reply with quote

Here is my list.

1. Robert Griffin III. It goes without saying how important RG3 is to this team. His knee injury last year put a bad feeling on what was otherwise a very exciting year for the Redskins. The word is RG3 is ahead of schedule in his rehab and the doctors or having to hold him back from wanting to push it and do more, which Rg3 has said is a good thing. If we can get Rg3 back 100% healthy within the first month of the season and keep him more protected through less run plays and better pass protection this year could be a very, very special year for the Washington Redskins. The Redskins must think long term first when it comes to Rg3. Having RG3 healthy for the next decade is far more important than winning any early regular season game this season.

2. Brian Orakpo. Orakpo is entering his 4th year as a redskins. In that time he's played 3 different positions in our two defensive schemes in his time in DC. He's been over or near double digit sacks in every year he's been healthy since he was drafted in 2011. He is our best pass rusher in our front 7 and our sack #s and passing defense dropped off a lot because of his absence last year. Our sacks were down by 9 (the usual # Orakpo provides) and our pass D dropped from 12th in 2011 to 30th in 2012 mainly because our pass rush took a hit w/o Orakpo.

Orakpo's problem has been two pectoral tears within 9 months. He says he is 100% healthy right now, and we have 5 months till the season begins. This is good, Orakpo can continue to rest, rehab and take it slow just to make sure he's ready to go when the season starts because I feel that he's the most important person on our defense.

3. Pierre Garcon.Pierre looks to be like a solid signing by the Washington Redskins a year ago but he hurt his foot on his very first big play as a Redskins. Ever since then he hasn't been quite as good. From reading multiple articles about his injury over the past year, we should question if he will ever be truly 100% again. Still a 90% Garcon is better than the rest of our Wrs. Lets hope he can return close to 100% and build upon his year last year. If the team throws more this season, which I suspect they will to keep Rg3 from taking so many hits, expect Garcon's numbers from last year to near double.

4. Fred Davis. Another player coming off a major injury. Fred Davis has shown flashes of being an elite tight end since 2009 but, he has never quite taken the next step in that development. Last year in week 7 he tore his Achillies, which we thought was going to be a killer for our offense. It turns our Logan Paulsen is a good football player. Logan isn't as dynamic but, he's a better blocker and he's a reliable wr.

Anyways, since Fred is back we need him to get healthy, step up and become the elite talent he can be in the passing game. He can definitely add an element to our offense that we were missing the last 1/2 of the seaso last year.

5. DeAngelo Hall. Everyone knows how much I like DHall... Wink Anyways. I know the guy has elite talent. Hopefully be can get close to reaching that because he wants to get one more long term deal enforce he retires. DHall a has great ball skills and a lot of talent. If he can just stay more focused and not guess and gamble on every play, play the man more than playing the ball and reading the qbs eyes too much, he can get back to the pro bowl. I really, really hope it happens, I want him to make our defense great and I want him to be a great player.

6. Josh Wilson. Josh Wilson did not play as well as he did last year as he had in 2011. Still Wilson has good technique and can be a good #2 cb. I don't ever expect Wilson to be our #1 cb but I do expect him to be more consistent next year than he was last year. We need him to play better than he did at times last year.

7. Brandon Meriweather. Brandon Meriweather came to DC as a free agent signing in 2012 after failing as a free agent signing for the Chicago Bears in 2011. He did not fit the bears system and that was his bigges problem there. Meriweather was expected to be our starting SS last year and looked like he was going to be great in the offseason, during training camp and during the preseason until we faxed the Bears in Chicago. Meriweather hurt his knee, it looked bad but we were told it was just a sprain. Meriweather was expected to just miss the rest of the preseason and to be ready for the start of the season. That didnt happen. Every week we kept hearing he was getting closer toward being able to play. Finally he was supposed to play vs Tampa Bay but in an unfortunate pregame collision with Aldrick Robinson he agrivated his knee injury. Meriweather returned to play vs the Eagles a few games later and started the game well looking a lot like Laron Landry or in some instances better. Unfortunately, Meriweather torn his ACL in this game and would be lost for the season.

Much like the other players on this list, health is the key. Meriweather must get and stay healthy. If he can, he can be a good piece to our defense. We need him badly on our back end.

8. Adam Carriker. Carriker like Orakpo was injured vs St Louis and he missed the remainder of the season. Carriker is one of this teams best D Lineman and was our best pass rusher as a D Lineman in 2011. We badly missed his 6 sacks from the LDE position. What actually hurt us the most with Carriker's injury was that without him our depth got weaker. Jarvis Jenkins shows potential that he can be a starting DE or NT for us, he played well at times last year, but without Carriker it forced Jenkins into a starting role and our depth was compromised.

We need Carriker back, healthy and performing near his 2011 level for this defense to get back to where it was in 2011 and hopefully take the next step and be top 10.

9. Roy Helu, Jr. Roy Helu, Jr. Is a dynamic playmaker that the Redskins desperately missed last year. He's a fast, elusive and powerful runner who flashed great ability as a rookie in 2011. He is a good 3rd down back and receiver as well, he had 49 receptions as a rookie. Helu has had bad luck with injuries his first two years with the Redskins. He recently had surgery on a bothersome foot which will keep him our for a whole but he should be ready to go soon. He has been doing some light jogging already and they believe he will be back to 100% for Training Camp in July. If Helu can return healthy and stay healthy he can greatly improve our offense. He is a great change of pace running back to Morris and can be a good 3rd down back.

10. Leonard Hankerson.

Rich Tandler found a site names Rotoviz.com. They are a fantasy football site that is projecting what 3rd year wrs will break out this year. They used yards per target and compared that with 2nd year wrs who made that jump in the past from year 2 to year 3.

The site thinks that Hank will break out this year and Rich agrees, he says Hank passes the eye and stat test. Pro Football Focus said that Hankerson had only four drops while being targeted 59 times. Moss had six drops on 64 targets.

So much for Hank dropping everything right? He only had 4 drops on the year!

When Hank came into the NFL he's been reported as saying he didn't realize the hard work and dedication it to took to make it in the nfl as most young players don't. Then, on top of that, his hip injury set him back in his rookie year and in his 2nd offseason, he didn't have a rookie offseason in 2011 because of the Owner's locking the players out. If he focuses on the little things and gets truly polished as a wr with better routes and gets more comfortable with Rg3 or Cousins, this could be a special year for Hankerson.

In this article they name Hakeem Nicks, Jordy Nelson, and Dwayne Bowe as what makes up a number 1 receiver. Hankerson has had a few games where he shows to have the ability to translate into an elite wise reciever.

In 2011 Hankerson became the first Redskins rookie receiver to top 100 yards in a game since 2001. Unfortunately he received a serious hip injury in that same game. The injury cost Hankerson the second half of the 2011 season and most of his 2012 offseason. In 2012 he quietly hauled in 38 receptions, 543 yards, 3 touchdowns with only 4 drops. He finished third on the team and was only 90 yards behind leading receiver Pierre Garcon. Hankerson should be on your radar screen as a break out player this year. He and RG3 have the potential to become one the best quarterback/wide receiver tandems in the NFL very soon.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk Cousins
Perry Riley
Rob Jackson

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't get out of the 1st round of the playoffs...

The entire team can improve.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take "step up", as in "needs to play better than they did last season".

Do I want RG3 to repeat what he did without the injury? Absolutely
Do I think he can play even better? Yes, I do. But repeating what he did, would be way better than the often common "Sophomore slump".

Here are the 5 guys that need to step up because their game has not been elite or they've had injuries to prevent them from being elite at any point in their career here & specially last season.

#1)Orakpo=Dude needs to prove he's an elite pass rusher, instead of "very good". Needs to find many ways to get to the QB and play better in pass coverage. Also needs to stay healthy. He has yet, imo had the impact that I know he's capable of for this Defense. When I "aceinthehouse" am considering trading you as a "good idea" then we have a problem. Dude needs to step up!

#2)Roy Helu=We should be saying we have 2 good RB's instead one. We say they, because of the potential that Helu has as a 3rd down back in catching passes and his speed overall. But the dude can't stay healthy. If Helu could stay healthy, he would be a very nice spell for Alfred Morris who I don't want carrying the ball 40X a game. I think most of us believe he's a better RB than Evan Royster, but at least Royster can get on the field. Instead, many of us are already talking about how we need to take a RB sometime this draft. We shouldn't need too. Dude needs to step up!

#3)Meriweather=When we got him, we all thought that our SS situation was at least temporarily solved. In limited action last season, he played awesome, then got hurt. We need him to be the impact Safety this season, in case we miss on any of the draft pick safeties we probably will be taking. Not to mention they will be rookies. We need his leadership back there to help these young guys on the field. Can't do that on the sidelines from injury or suspensions.Dude needs to step and show why we added him to the roster last yr!

#4)Jarvis Jenkins=Dude looked awesome in pre season his rookie year. Then he suffered a tough injury. I know it probably took a year, to recover from such a tough injury, but I expect him to be back. I think he's better than Carriker at minimum and possibly Bowen as well. He's got the size and quickness we need on that D-line this yr. If he wants any chance at all at seeing additional playing time and contributing to the team in some rotation on defense. Dude needs to step up!

#5)Niles Paul=When I look at Niles Paul, I see someone who's expendable. As a WR, he maybe at best with Briscoe & when I consider him at TE, he's 3rd imo, behind both Davis & Paulson. Yet, he made impact plays last year to help the team. So why do I feel, the way I do? Because he drops too many passes & fumbles the ball on Kickoffs or at a minimum makes me scared that he will. He's a nice hybrid converted WR to TE player, but I'm wondering if he's as important to the offense, as I want him to be. He needs to improve his game on all levels and show why he's a threat anytime he's on the field. I believe he could be a very good piece to this team and a difficult player to cover, when on the field. But he needs to limit his mistakes. Dude needs to step up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Kirk Cousins
Perry Riley
Rob Jackson
two of those are back ups. I guess I picture Riley as already arrived but it would help if he got better in pass coverage.

We don't even have Rob Jackson for the first month of the season. Kirk Cousins only really needs to improve and is only important if RG3 can't go this season. It's more important that we get RG3 healthy and going than Cousins being that important

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see the phrase "step up," I think in terms of maximizing the talent they have not getting healthy to play at the level they were. So, RG3 needs to get healthy; however, he was playing at an All Pro level before he got hurt. So I don't think he has to step up. Likewise, Garcon showed that he can add some serious sizzle to this offense when healthy. Can he improve? Sure. But I'm not sure he has to "step up" as opposed to "stay up." Same thing with Adam Carriker.

Fred Davis, on the other hand, has to show that he can play like he did in those sublime seven games in 2010 that every keeps hanging their hat on. Yes, he's recovering from an injury as well, but he needs to show that he can actually do something that warranted him getting the franchise tag last season.

Orakpo, to a lesser extent, is in the same boat as Davis. Unlike Davis, Orakpo has done well as a player for us and done so consistently. As you point out, his problem is getting and staying healthy. Now, there is a vocal minority on here who thinks he's not worth keeping. His case will be showing that he is while staying off of IR to get that next big contract.

DeAngelo Hall ... honestly, I'd like to see him play with a chip on his shoulder. He took a serious pay cut and then no one was interested in him once he was available. Him stepping up would be good for the franchise for 2013, but it could be problematic for beyond. If he plays lights out, there will be a strong movement to keep him. However, he'll be 30 next year, and it's not really a good value proposition to put big bucks into a corner over the big three-oh. I'm not saying that once a corner hits 30 that he's roster trash (Charles Woodson and Antoine Winfield are the obvious examples of players who excelled late). Still, it's a bit dicey.

However, I do like your remaining three suggestions: Josh Wilson, Roy Helu Jr. and Leonard Hankerson. Those three could significantly change what we do in the 2014 offseason if they step up. If Helu's healthy, then I think Royster is gonzo come final cuts. Likewise, if Hankerson manages that "third year wide receiver" magic, that would be excellent (except for Morgan and Briscoe). While he's only 16 months younger than Hall, he would have the advantage that he'd hit the free agent market at 29. Yes, that will matter psychologically for teams. Again, that could be a good thing or a bad thing if he steps up. However, he's definitely a step up candidate.

I'll add my own name here: Aldrick Robinson. If he can show he can be a stellar slot receiver, we might have our Santana Moss for the next chunk of years.

Honorable mention: Niles Paul. He desperately needs to step up as either a possession receiver or a tight end. He's kind of caught in this no man's land of not really having a position on the team. If he doesn't have a great camp, it wouldn't surprise me if he's looking for a new team come September.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
When I see the phrase "step up," I think in terms of maximizing the talent they have not getting healthy to play at the level they were. So, RG3 needs to get healthy; however, he was playing at an All Pro level before he got hurt. So I don't think he has to step up. Likewise, Garcon showed that he can add some serious sizzle to this offense when healthy. Can he improve? Sure. But I'm not sure he has to "step up" as opposed to "stay up." Same thing with Adam Carriker.

Fred Davis, on the other hand, has to show that he can play like he did in those sublime seven games in 2010 that every keeps hanging their hat on. Yes, he's recovering from an injury as well, but he needs to show that he can actually do something that warranted him getting the franchise tag last season.

Orakpo, to a lesser extent, is in the same boat as Davis. Unlike Davis, Orakpo has done well as a player for us and done so consistently. As you point out, his problem is getting and staying healthy. Now, there is a vocal minority on here who thinks he's not worth keeping. His case will be showing that he is while staying off of IR to get that next big contract.

DeAngelo Hall ... honestly, I'd like to see him play with a chip on his shoulder. He took a serious pay cut and then no one was interested in him once he was available. Him stepping up would be good for the franchise for 2013, but it could be problematic for beyond. If he plays lights out, there will be a strong movement to keep him. However, he'll be 30 next year, and it's not really a good value proposition to put big bucks into a corner over the big three-oh. I'm not saying that once a corner hits 30 that he's roster trash (Charles Woodson and Antoine Winfield are the obvious examples of players who excelled late). Still, it's a bit dicey.

However, I do like your remaining three suggestions: Josh Wilson, Roy Helu Jr. and Leonard Hankerson. Those three could significantly change what we do in the 2014 offseason if they step up. If Helu's healthy, then I think Royster is gonzo come final cuts. Likewise, if Hankerson manages that "third year wide receiver" magic, that would be excellent (except for Morgan and Briscoe). While he's only 16 months younger than Hall, he would have the advantage that he'd hit the free agent market at 29. Yes, that will matter psychologically for teams. Again, that could be a good thing or a bad thing if he steps up. However, he's definitely a step up candidate.

I'll add my own name here: Aldrick Robinson. If he can show he can be a stellar slot receiver, we might have our Santana Moss for the next chunk of years.

Honorable mention: Niles Paul. He desperately needs to step up as either a possession receiver or a tight end. He's kind of caught in this no man's land of not really having a position on the team. If he doesn't have a great camp, it wouldn't surprise me if he's looking for a new team come September.
I hear ya. I was torn. I started it off as you said focusing on guys who needed to show us something, then I was thinking what about importance, so it morphed into what I ended up doing. I guess the title didnt end up being what the I wrote the post about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: