Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

8 days to draft mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: 8 days to draft mock Reply with quote

Retirements
Donald Driver
Jeff Saturday

Resignings
Evan Dietrich-Smith: Given the lowest tender
Sam Shields: Given a second round tender
Brad Jones: Already resigned for 3 years.
Rob Francois: Already signed

Cap
$123,000,000
From a release from the NFLPA the Packers have $17,459,553 in available space, which includes the rollover money.

https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

Notable Not Retained/Cuts
Frank Zombo: Signed with Kansas City.
Charles Woodson: Already said goody-bye to Woodson.
Greg Jennings: Signed with Minnesota.
Tom Crabtree: Signed with Tampa Bay.
Erik Walden: Signed with Indianapolis.

Extensions
Aaron Rodgers: Rodgers has two years left on his current contract and signs a 4 year contract extension worth $120 million
Year Base Signing Bonus Other Bonus
Year 1: $4,000,000 $9,000,000 $1,000,000
Year 2: $6,000,000 $9,000,000 $3,000,000
Year 3: $15,000,000 $9,000,000 $2,000,000
Year 4: $16,000,000 $9,000,000 $2,000,000
Year 5: $16,000,000 $9,000,000 $2,000,000
Year 6: $18,000,000 $0 $10,000,000
*Deal averages to $23,333,333 per year for the life of the 6 year contract and $30,000,000 for the life of the 4 year extension.
**Guaranteed money would most likely approach/exceed the $60 million mark.
***Cap impact of ($4,000,000) leaving $13,459,553.
Clay Matthews: Clay is on his last year, so TT extends him for 4 years $60.59 million.
Year Base Signing Bonus Other Bonus
Year 1: $6,000,000 $5,500,000 $0
Year 2: $6,000,000 $5,500,000 $1,000,000
Year 3: $7,000,000 $5,500,000 $1,000,000
Year 4: $7,000,000 $5,500,000 $1,000,000
Year 5: $8,000,000 $5,500,000 $1,000,000
*Only a 4 year extension so that him and Rodgers do not lineup again.
**Deal averages $13,100,000 for the life of the contract and $15,147,500 for the life of the 4 year extension
***Cap impact of ($6,590,000) leaving $6,869,553.

Free Agency
I would only expect signings similar to the Tavecchico, Means, Mulligan, and Cunningham from this point to the draft.

Draft
5th round compensatory pick awarded from Matt Flynn.

1. Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame 6’5 250lbs

At this point the value is too good to pass on. Eifert very well could go top 15, but ahead of us the teams that I think would be most likely to pull the trigger on him are Tampa Bay and Chicago. Both have other holes that are more pressing to fill and in Tampa’s case they might not have the pick if they complete a Revis trade. The Packers seem committed to Finley for this season, but beyond that is still up in the air. Finley can be frustrating because he is athletic enough to be an elite tightend, but he has not been consistent on the field. Eifert is a guy the Packers can draft to both potentially replace Finley and give him some competition to spark his play. Either way, Finley long-term or short-term, Eifert is not a bad pick in my mind. Eifert is a good athlete that can do a lot of the same things that Finley can do. He has good speed to stretch the seam, he has the athleticism to split out wide, and can draw coverage off of the receivers and onto him. He has good, strong hands and does a good job at positioning himself to make a play on the ball. He is a willing blocker that has done a good job at improving in that area. Overall, Eifert seems to be a more complete and consistent tight end than Finley, but he lacks the elite athleticism that Finley possesses. I think that the two can work together very nicely, either short-term or long-term. I think that if Finley is signed long-term you have the ability to split either guy outside and put the other with his hand on the ground or split both out wide. Really using both of them long-term is just changing from 4 receivers running routes to 3 or even 2 running routes.

2. Jonathan Hankins DT Ohio State 6’3 320lbs

Hankins is more of a one dimensional, run stopper. He has good size and strength to hold up at the point of attack. He is a pretty good athlete, with pretty nimble feet, for a man of his size. He is not going to outshine others in this class in a workout, but he is not just a clogger. He has a solid burst and quickness off the ball and does a good job of chasing a play. He has the size and strength to handle double teams and does a good job of shedding blocks/moving down the line to make a play on the ball carrier. It does look like he is susceptible to chop/cut blocks at times, which means he takes some unnecessary shots to his lower body. Also, it looks like he relies on his upper body strength a lot, which makes good technicians a problem at times. Overall, I think that he is a good player to develop behind Pickett and someone that can provide quality snaps at nose and the run stopping end. He is not going to be a pass rush threat, but he can fill an important role when Pickett is gone.

3. Barrett Jones OC/OG/OT Alabama 6’4 306lbs

Jones fit and versatility has been documented in several other mocks and threads before. He is smart, versatile, and has a team first attitude to go with being a good all around player. To me he is a guy that screams Green Bay Packer. Something that might have gone unnoticed is that his arms measured in at 34½ inches long at the combine and he put up 27 reps at his pro day. Both numbers are very solid for an offensive lineman and makes Jones someone that possibly could give you quality reps at left tackle if need be. With the uncertainty of Sherrod and the average play of Newhouse, Jones has added appeal because of this. Right now I believe he would enter camp vying for the center job against EDS. If Jones does not win the competition he will be a very good gameday active because of the versatility. Jones foot injury has not allowed him to work out and I have seen there is speculation that might have to start on the PUP list, which has caused some people to lower his grade. I think that long-term he is a guy that people will he should be a very solid interior lineman for the next decade. He may not be an elite interior guy, but a very solid guy in the middle of the offensive line.

4. Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma State 6’0 204lbs

Randle is not the same line of back as Lacy and Bell, two of the more popular guys projected to us, but I think that he would have a role on our team. He is not the fastest back, being more quick than fast. He does not necessarily have that extra gear to take it the distance, but he can put together long runs. He has good patients, allowing for his blockers to develop a hole, than he does a good job of seeing the hole and hitting it. He is not a real power runner, seeing that he has a lean frame, but he can be effective on short yardage and goal line situations by finding a small hole and squeaking into it. Also, he is not the shiftiest runner, but he does have decent agility to make guys miss, but his acceleration in and out of a cut is not as good as others. Something that he has done a good job in is the passing game. He has good hands, runs goods routes and creates some good separation. Also, he has solid awareness during blitz pickups and is a very willing blocker. Overall, Joseph is someone that should be able to complement Harris.

5. J.J Wilcox S Georgia Southern 6’0 213lbs

Another guy that I think has the potential to go much higher, but I would not be shocked if he fell here either. Wilcox only really played safety for one season, which has both cons and pros. Cons, he did not show the natural instincts or quick recognition that a more experienced safety might have, which means he may not be an immediate impact guy, but a project guy. Pros, he has good athleticism, speed, size, and range to develop into a solid player. Also, the con of recognition and diagnosing plays quickly is something that can hopefully be developed, which gives him a lot of potential at the position. As far as run support, he is willing to put his body on the line and shows good downhill aggression, but being that it is his first year on defense he is somewhat inconsistent. I am optimistic that McMillian and Burnett can be a solid safety duo, but adding a guy with good potential can help push this group.

5. Michael Buchanan DE/OLB Illinois 6’5 255lbs

Buchanan is a good athlete that thrived the most when he had Mercilus opposite of him. He has a decent burst and speed off the edge to be an effective pass rusher, but needs to clean up some technique to be a constant contributor. He has experience as a standup rusher and dropping into coverage, so the transition will not be totally foreign to him. He is a better pass rusher than run stopper, but he shows good hustle and chase ability to get to the ball carrier. He is someone that can provide depth and hopefully a couple consecutive reps to give Perry/Matthews a breather.

6. Alec Lemon WR Syracuse 6’1 204lbs

Lemon does have shorter arms and hands than desired, but he does a good job at catching the ball and does display strong hands. He is not a guy that is a going to run by you, but he is a willing receiver that is not afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch. Ultimately he is more of a developmental guy that can sit behind Nelson, Jones, and Cobb and learn the route tree and potentially develop into a good depth guy for us.

7. Lawrence Okoye DE/DT London 6’6 308lbs

This is a pure potential pick. I am sure many have read/seen the stories about him. He is a 21 year Olympic track and field discus competitor, 12th in London games. He has no football experience and would be someone to groom/develop. It has been reported that he has good athleticism and I would assume strength. He measured/tested well at the regional combine, 34½ inch arms, 4.78 forty, 35inch vertical, and 10’5’’ broad (based on NFL.com numbers), all of which are good numbers for his position. He will have a steep learning curve, but the athleticism and potential are worth a 7th round risk.

UDFR (usually I do not put any in, but I wanted to include this guy)
TJ Moe WR Missouri 5’11 204lbs

Moe is a quicker receiver that can be a good guy for the slot as insurance in case something happens to Cobb. He does a decent job after the catch and looks to have pretty good feet and lateral agility.

Estimated draft class cap of $4,844,914 makes the cap go down to $2,024,639

Roster
QB: Rodgers, Harrell
RB: Harris, Randle, Green, Starks
FB: Kuhn
WR: Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, Lemon
TE: Finley, Eifert, Quarless, Taylor
OT: Sherrod, Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay
OG: Lang, Sitton, Van Roten
OC: EDS, Jones
Offense Total: 25

DE: Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Hankins, Worthy (PUP), Daniels
NT: Raji
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Moses, Buchanan, Lattimore
ILB: Bishop, Hawk, Jones, Smith, Manning
CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
S: Burnett, McMillan, Jennings, Wilcox
Defense Total: 25 + 1 PUP

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
Special Teams Total: 3
Roster Total: 53 + 1 PUP

Noticeable PS Players
Andrew Datko OT
BJ Coleman QB
Lawrence Okoye DE

*With having a little over $2,000,000 in cap space I could very well see TT going to some guys; Pickett, Williams, and possibly Bush, to restructure and gain some cap space. Also, a guy like Kuhn could be cut for the additional room. I think that between those guys we could gain roughly $5-6 million on top of what we have left, which should be enough to extend Raji and/or Shields.
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Shocked

This is the best 2013 mock I have seen yet. Phenomenal value and prospects everywhere AND you didnt even have to trade!!
Great job you can tell alot of work was put in. The only thing I can argue with is the Lemon selection. I think the Packers are looking to bring in a player similar to Jennings (I point to the recent signing of Sederrick Cunningham to back that claim). Lemon doesn't really look the part to me. He is vastly underrated however. So really I'm nitpicking.
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where you have our 1st two picks going, and both would provide value and answer to need. Makes sense, both could easily be the best player on the board at those two respective spots.

Jones in the late 3rd. Most mocks have him going late 2nd or 3rd. For all the reasons you list in his description and more, he will go long before our 3rd rounder. I expect he will be gone between 29 and 44. Closer to 29.

Randle in the 4th. We need a RB, preferably one that would be a good compliment to Harris. I think there will be better RB's here for us. I don't like Randle, not here anyway.

Buchanan in the 5th I love. Would be a steal. Possible he may go this late though.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me until the Randle pick. He will not fit this team and his vision is atrocious. JJ Wilcox is just another SS who isn't quick enough to play in our defense and Alec Lemon is too slow to play in our system. Buchannan would be a great developmental pass rusher but that half of the draft really isn't that good.
persiandud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mock, I'd be very happy with this. I don't like the Randle pick though.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to ensure Clay and Aaron don't line up again would be to sign Aaron for 6-8 years.
pacnwpackfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock. Not a randle fan, but good value..

This is kind of for everone out there. I think we all know who we resigned and who is on our roster. Can we just stick to the mock picks? Smile
rbens06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
I like where you have our 1st two picks going, and both would provide value and answer to need. Makes sense, both could easily be the best player on the board at those two respective spots.

Jones in the late 3rd. Most mocks have him going late 2nd or 3rd. For all the reasons you list in his description and more, he will go long before our 3rd rounder. I expect he will be gone between 29 and 44. Closer to 29.

Randle in the 4th. We need a RB, preferably one that would be a good compliment to Harris. I think there will be better RB's here for us. I don't like Randle, not here anyway.

Buchanan in the 5th I love. Would be a steal. Possible he may go this late though.

I would not be surprised if he did go in that range, but I have seen him go in the late third and early fourth in some mocks/rankings, mainly because of the injury and cause for concern that he may not be ready to go when TC opens up. That plus guys like Warford, Pugh, Thomas, and Long to name a few, are similarly valued, but do not have the injury question. Teams have not been able to see Jones workout since the BCS Championship and it could cause him to fall.
rbens06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Holy crap Shocked

This is the best 2013 mock I have seen yet. Phenomenal value and prospects everywhere AND you didnt even have to trade!!
Great job you can tell alot of work was put in. The only thing I can argue with is the Lemon selection. I think the Packers are looking to bring in a player similar to Jennings (I point to the recent signing of Sederrick Cunningham to back that claim). Lemon doesn't really look the part to me. He is vastly underrated however. So really I'm nitpicking.

Thanks! I would not really argue with that, but I did not see any Jennings type receivers at that spot and felt of the guys left Lemon worked best.
rbens06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
You had me until the Randle pick. He will not fit this team and his vision is atrocious. JJ Wilcox is just another SS who isn't quick enough to play in our defense and Alec Lemon is too slow to play in our system. Buchannan would be a great developmental pass rusher but that half of the draft really isn't that good.

I know that Lemon is not a speedster, but his numbers and speed are in line with most of the other receivers we have, excluding Cobb.

Jennings-4.42 40yd, 2.60 20yd, 1.57 10yd

Jones-4.54 40yd, 2.65 20yd, 1.54 10yd,

Boykin-4.69 40yd, 2.65 20yd, 1.65 10yd

Lemon-4.59 (I have seen 4.56) 40yd, 2.62 20yd, 1.57 10yd

I know that numbers do not tell the whole story, but do not think that Lemon's speed is enough to drop him off our board. I feel that our systems has shown that it is more about being able to consistently catch the ball and be a good route runner.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it. \

Also, I like Lemon a hell of a lot better than another Jennings type.
GreenReign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good mock, I would live with this. However, instead of Randel in the 4th, if he is available, I would look strongly at Lav'ion Bell, I think he will turn into the best HB in this draft. I may even take Bell in the 3rd, and take a center in the 4th. Other than that, I have a huge man crush on Shamarko Thomas, and would love to nab him in the 2nd. He ran a 4.37 (face plant and all), and hits like a rock.

One more thing. Do not be surprised if we draft a QB at some point. Lets face facts, Herrall sucks, and Coleman was what a 7th rounder? There was a reason for that, even though I love his arm, I do not think he is quite ready if anything were to happen to Rodgers. A player I really like is Matt Scott, out of Arizona. If he is on the board in the 5th round, TT might just pull the trigger on him. He was a one year starter I believe so he has some upside. Even though we have other needs, we could take Scott, develop him, then trade him for a high pick in a couple years. He is also very athletic, a taller version of Russell Wilson.

Last edited by GreenReign on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbens06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenReign wrote:
Very good mock, I would live with this. However, instead of Randel in the 4th, if he is available, I would look strongly at Lav'ion Bell, I think he will turn into the best HB in this draft. I may even take Bell in the 3rd, and take a center in the 4th. Other than that, I have a huge man crush on Shamarko Thomas, and would love to nab him in the 2nd. He ran a 4.37 (face plant and all), and hits like a rock.

I am warming up to Bell the more and more I see of him, but in this mock I had him gone at our 4th round pick. As far as Thomas, I am not too high on him. I think his style projects more to a SS type. Also, I am not as concerned about the safety position.
GreenReign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
GreenReign wrote:

I am warming up to Bell the more and more I see of him, but in this mock I had him gone at our 4th round pick. As far as Thomas, I am not too high on him. I think his style projects more to a SS type. Also, I am not as concerned about the safety position.

Yes Thomas is more of a SS, however, I see a lot of Bob Sanders in him when I watch him play. I live an hour west of Syracuse, so I have seen a lot of his games, he always seems to be around the ball. We need to try and hold AP to under 400 yards against us this season, and Thomas may just help us accomplish that feat..
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenReign wrote:
One more thing. Do not be surprised if we draft a QB at some point. Lets face facts, Herrall sucks, and Coleman was what a 7th rounder? There was a reason for that, even though I love his arm, I do not think he is quite ready if anything were to happen to Rodgers. A player I really like is Matt Scott, out of Arizona. If he is on the board in the 5th round, TT might just pull the trigger on him. He was a one year starter I believe so he has some upside. Even though we have other needs, we could take Scott, develop him, then trade him for a high pick in a couple years. He is also very athletic, a taller version of Russell Wilson.
Matt Flynn was what, a 6th? We all love the time wizard Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: