Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Madtown's 2nd and 3rd Ever Mock Draft - You Pick the Winner!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one is the better option?
Option A
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Option B
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Both!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither! What the heck were you thinking???
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Madtown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Madtown's 2nd and 3rd Ever Mock Draft - You Pick the Winner! Reply with quote

I've done one mock before in my life http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=516401. I thought it was pretty fun and turned out ok. Given that we're a week away I thought I'd give it another whirl.

I started out by noting the players I had a hard time passing on, but had to because of who was available. As I got to the 3rd round, I realized that my "alternates" would make for a nice draft class of their own. So I ended up making two mocks simultaneously to see which one people would be more happy with. The are a few guys that I drafted in both in the mid/late rounds just because of who I already picked and I liked the value at those points. Please give me your thoughts.

Note 1: I used CBS's overall rankings as of 4/14/13 to estimate who would be available. It actually seemed more reasonable than some of the other sites, and was easiest to get a full list of prospects. If you have issues with where people fall to, kindly take it up with them Very Happy I just felt I needed some standard to go by in making my picks.

Note 2: The players I had the hardest time passing on that didn't get drafted were Ogletree, Lacy, Elam, and Ball. Now I love Ogletree, but given the extension of Hawk and resigning of Jones, I'm just reading writing on the wall at ILB. I would have taken Michael with a trade down from the 3rd or a trade up from the 4th, but I'm not projecting trades in my draft.

Note 3: In case you didn't read all of Note 2, I'm not projecting trades.

Note 4: I don't have any of our free agents sticking on the roster.

Draft Option #A

Rd 1.
Jesse Williams DL Alabama

I had originally soured on the DL after the first 4 picks or so, but after some beating over the head by some of the posters here I took another look. He's obviously well coached. He might not get a lot of sacks (i.e. glorification) in the NFL, but with his length and size combined with his effort I think he'd be very valuable inside as well as an edge setter at DE.

Rd 2.
DJ Hayden CB Houston

If he's medically cleared, then he's medically cleared. And hopefully enough teams are scared of him to let him fall this far. He's extremely talented and you can't have too many CB's, especially without knowing the status of Tramon's shoulder. If anyone gets the boot as a result of this pick, it'll probably be Bush.

Rd 3.
Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn

A quick and powerful man who just hasn't put all the techniques together. A great guy to add to the pass rush rotation. I would love to see what Greene would get out of him.

Rd 4.
Khaled Holmes C Southern Cal

Smart, disciplined, and a good leader. Good guy to have at C.

Rd 5.
Tony Jefferson FS Oklahoma

Has some reds and had a slow 40, but I think that was due to an injury. Hopefully that lets him slide this far. I think he's a good kid with really good athleticism. He's not afraid to mix it up and can play a decent deep ball. I'd be thrilled with the value at this point in this deep safety class.

Rd 5 Comp Pick.
Josh Boyce WR TCU

Speedy, strong, scrappy, and good after the catch. He has some injury concerns, so we might not see him for most of his rookie season. If he hits, he could really be valuable to this offense.

Rd 6.
Ryan Otten TE San Jose State

6'5", athletic, and can catch. A bit like Jones where he can go get the tough passes, but lets too many balls get to his pads. He's also strong enough to develop into a decent blocker. It sounds like he has the intangibles to put in the work.

Rd 7.
Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Pick based purely on upside and the fact that I have no other RBs in the draft. He's a freak athletically. Someone like Jerry Jones will probably pick him before this, but if he's here he's worth a look. If he can get past his injuries and fumbles (big ifs), then he's a complete steal. He needs some good coaching and some luck.

OK, I stole the formatting of the depth chart from NCF and BF004's draft. I hope I cleaned everything up. Thanks to you folks.

Offense (26)

QB - Aaron Rodgers - Graham Harrell - BJ Coleman
RB - DeJaun Harris - Alex Green - Knile Davis - John Kuhn
WR - James Jones - Randall Cobb - Jarret Boykin
WR - Jordy Nelson - Jeremy Ross - Josh Boyce
TE - Jermichael Finley- Ryan Otten - DJ Williams - Ryan Taylor
LT - Derrick Sherrod - Andrew Datko
LG - TJ Lang -
C - Khaled Holmes - Evan Dietrich-Smith
RG - Josh Sitton - Don Barclay
RT - Brian Bulaga - Marshall Newhouse

Defense (24)

RE - Jesse Williams - CJ Williams - Johnny Jolly - (Worthy PUP)
NT - BJ Raji
LE - Ryan Pickett - Mike Neal - Mike Daniels
ROLB - Clay Matthews - Dezmon Moses
ILB - AJ Hawk - Brad Jones
ILB - Desmond Bishop- Terrell Manning
LOLB - Nick Perry - Corey Lemonier
CB - Tramon Williams - Devon House -
CB - Sam Shields - Casey Heyward - DJ Hayden
SS - Jerron McMillian - Tony Jefferson
FS - Morgan Burnett - Sean Richardson

Special Teams (3)

K - Mason Crosby
P - Tim Masthay
LS - Brett Goode

Draft Option #B

Rd 1.
Tank Carradine OLB Florida State

Great athlete who was very productive until injured. I know a pass rusher from FSU might not be popular to GB fans, especially one coming off of an injury. But he'd give us a great rotation of pass rushers and would actually free Clay up to do all sorts of things. I would love this pick.

Rd 2.
Johnathan Jenkings DL Georgia

He's a big, strong man. He might not get to the QB, but good luck moving him out of the way and he does a fine job of sliding down the line. Would love him in the 2nd. Sure, he could eat himself out of the league, but so could a lot of the DL and there's a big dropoff soon at DL. There are lots of questions coming up at DL in a year, and Big John could help solve a big one.

Rd 3.
Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State

I love me some Escobar. If we don't get Eifert, which I don't think we will, Escobar is the next guy in line for me. Kelce's a better blocker for sure, but his head worries the hell out of me. Escobar will go and get any ball in his vicinity. GREAT hands. He's an adequate and willing blocker. Him and Finley would be a nightmare for defenses.

Rd 4.
Khaled Holmes C Southern Cal

Smart, disciplined, and a good leader. Good guy to have at C. Same pick as Mock A.

Rd 5.
Tony Jefferson FS Oklahoma

Has some reds and had a slow 40, but I think that was due to an injury. Hopefully that lets him slide this far. I think he's a good kid with really good athleticism. He's not afraid to mix it up and can play a decent deep ball. I'd be thrilled with the value at this point in this deep safety class. Same pick as Mock A

Rd 5 Comp Pick.
Josh Boyce WR TCU

Speedy, strong, scrappy, and good after the catch. He has some injury concerns, so we might not see him for most of his rookie season. If he hits, he could really be valuable to this offense. Same pick as Mock A.

Rd 6.
Joe Kruger DE Utah

Good size, athleticism, and bloodlines. He plays really high, but would like to see him have NFL coaching even though I think he had good college coaching. I think he's a great DE prospect who could really pay off in a year from now. Honestly, I don't think he'll make it this far, but I went with CBS's rankings so I'll take it.

Rd 7.
Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Pick based purely on upside and the fact that I have no other RBs in the draft. He's a freak athletically. Someone like Jerry Jones will probably pick him before this, but if he's here he's worth a look. If he can get past his injuries and fumbles (big ifs), then he's a complete steal. He needs some good coaching and some luck. Same pick as Mock A.

Again, I stole the formatting of the depth chart from NCF and BF004's draft. Thanks to you folks.

Offense (25)

QB - Aaron Rodgers - Graham Harrell
RB - DeJaun Harris - Alex Green - Knile Davis - John Kuhn
WR - James Jones - Randall Cobb - Jarret Boykin
WR - Jordy Nelson - Jeremy Ross - Josh Boyce
TE - Jermichael Finley- Gavin Escobar - DJ Williams - Ryan Taylor
LT - Derrick Sherrod - Andrew Datko
LG - TJ Lang -
C - Khaled Holmes - Evan Dietrich-Smith
RG - Josh Sitton - Don Barclay
RT - Brian Bulaga - Marshall Newhouse

Defense (25)

RE - CJ Williams - Johnny Jolly - Paul Kruger - (Worthy PUP)
NT - BJ Raji - Johnathan Jenkins
LE - Ryan Pickett - Mike Neal - Mike Daniels
ROLB - Clay Matthews - Dezmon Moses
ILB - AJ Hawk - Brad Jones
ILB - Desmond Bishop- Terrell Manning
LOLB - Tank Carradine - Nick Perry
CB - Tramon Williams - Devon House -
CB - Sam Shields - Casey Heyward - Jarrett Bush
SS - Jerron McMillian - Tony Jefferson
FS - Morgan Burnett - Sean Richardson

Special Teams (3)

K - Mason Crosby
P - Tim Masthay
LS - Brett Goode

Last edited by Madtown on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a combination of the two?

Tank/Hayden/Escobar/Holmes/Jefferson/Boyce/Kruger/Davis would be a hell of a draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
How about a combination of the two?

Tank/Hayden/Escobar/Holmes/Jefferson/Boyce/Kruger/Davis would be a hell of a draft.

No doubt. I was trying to get a DL presence in the first couple of picks. I love Kruger, but I don't think he makes an impact right away. I do have Hayden as a superior prospect to Jenkins, but thought Jenkins might have a bigger impact right away. Hard to argue with Hayden though. I'd love to have him on the team. Maybe if I do another mock in the next week Very Happy
chaosisgolden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump Holmes and I'm happy. But probably prefer #2 overall.
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool idea and I really like option #2
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khaled holmes sucks. wouldn't draft him much less take him in the 4th.
Madtown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Very cool idea and I really like option #2

Thanks Kuhn!
Madtown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the hate for Holmes? I know he's never going to be an all-pro, but I thought he might be able to come in and at least take reps at C if EDS gets hurt, and develop into more later. I'd rather have a couple other C's in the draft, but not for where they went.

Maybe I'll have to go back and look at him and some other later round C's. Any suggestions?
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good things about both, but unfortunately, you have a weak Center in Holmes who might not even be drafted given what I've gotten from the scouting reports, and Tony Jefferson is way too slow to play in our system. I went with choice A because Hayden could emerge into Slowpoke's replacement, Jesse Williams is an excellent pick to run that atrocious 2-4-5 defense we run way too much, and Lemonier could be a good developmental player. Boyce is a player we should be targeting given his speed and route running ability, Davis is the kind of Feature Back we need, and Otten could give us a pass catching target that we could develop into a Crabtree type of role.
Madtown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
There are good things about both, but unfortunately, you have a weak Center in Holmes who might not even be drafted given what I've gotten from the scouting reports, and Tony Jefferson is way too slow to play in our system. I went with choice A because Hayden could emerge into Slowpoke's replacement, Jesse Williams is an excellent pick to run that atrocious 2-4-5 defense we run way too much, and Lemonier could be a good developmental player. Boyce is a player we should be targeting given his speed and route running ability, Davis is the kind of Feature Back we need, and Otten could give us a pass catching target that we could develop into a Crabtree type of role.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm definitely going to have to rethink what I'm going to do at the C position. I disagree on Jefferson though. I know his times were slow, but I really think he was injured. I honestly think he's a more than good enough athlete for the fit, especially at that draft slot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: