Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign OT Anthony Davis to a 5-year, $37.2M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signing is great cuz it means we get to keep the OL together. Nothing can throw a teams season off more(besides QB injury) than an OL injury/shuffling. Davis is still improving(to be expected getting drafted @ 20) and he's solid right now. I hope we get the long term C situation handled this off-season so we can have multi yrs of OL greatness.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
I didn't want to start a thread about this yet, since it's only preliminary talks, but thought I could put this here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5763/mike-iupati

CSN Bay Area confirms the 49ers have had "preliminary" extension talks with LG Mike Iupati, but that no deal is imminent.

Quote:
Per beat writer Matt Maiocco, there is no timetable on "striking an agreement." The 49ers' mauling left guard is coming off a monster 2012, but is still signed through 2014. Iupati would likely look to top new Titans G Andy Levitre (six years, $46.8 million) in any new deal, and could approach Carl Nicks money (five years, $47.5M).

This is obviously great news; Iupati is just beastly. Honestly, if we are looking at just an extension and not a renegotiation of the existing deal, I would expect it to be agreed upon sometime during this season. Its obvious we want to keep him, and I think that players always prefer for this to get out of the way before it actually comes up. Hopefully Paraag and Baalke continue to work their cap magic so that we don't have major cap casualties in the future.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan2152 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I have not been especially kind to AD. I still worry about his pass protection, but admittedly not as much with Kaepernick at QB. Still, I am pleased enough with this move. He is still young and improving, so maybe he can truly win me over soon enough.

I was big on him coming out an wanted him, so I have always been a fan. He did sour for me in his second year an lost some hope. But this year as we all no he improved so much an really has the ability to improve even more. He is young an like you said he is less of a worry in pass protection with Kaep at QB. He graded out as the #3 run blocking RT I believe an also as a top 5 or 10 RT if I remember right. This deal will turn out to be a huge steal for us I think. Iupati is prob looking at getting more money an the team is waying on whether to go that route with him or not. I hope they keep Iupati an lock him up long term.

I'll be honest, I hated him when he was coming out. I preferred Bulaga and Iupati. I was hoping in that year that we did a combination Earl Thomas and Iupati/Bulaga with the second pick. I just didn't like his immaturity (kind of like it in his game right now; he really bugs people lol), and I didn't think he was a hard worker at all. He was one of two people in the draft that I absolutely did not want us to draft prior to, and humorously we took them both (the other being Taylor Mays). After his first two years, I was worried that i was right, but he took such huge strides last year and now he looks like he's going to be a dominant tackle for year to come.

so another tip of the cap to Baalke, who continues to school me in the art of drafting each and every year lol.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
49ersfan2152 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I have not been especially kind to AD. I still worry about his pass protection, but admittedly not as much with Kaepernick at QB. Still, I am pleased enough with this move. He is still young and improving, so maybe he can truly win me over soon enough.

I was big on him coming out an wanted him, so I have always been a fan. He did sour for me in his second year an lost some hope. But this year as we all no he improved so much an really has the ability to improve even more. He is young an like you said he is less of a worry in pass protection with Kaep at QB. He graded out as the #3 run blocking RT I believe an also as a top 5 or 10 RT if I remember right. This deal will turn out to be a huge steal for us I think. Iupati is prob looking at getting more money an the team is waying on whether to go that route with him or not. I hope they keep Iupati an lock him up long term.

I'll be honest, I hated him when he was coming out. I preferred Bulaga and Iupati. I was hoping in that year that we did a combination Earl Thomas and Iupati/Bulaga with the second pick. I just didn't like his immaturity (kind of like it in his game right now; he really bugs people lol), and I didn't think he was a hard worker at all. He was one of two people in the draft that I absolutely did not want us to draft prior to, and humorously we took them both (the other being Taylor Mays). After his first two years, I was worried that i was right, but he took such huge strides last year and now he looks like he's going to be a dominant tackle for year to come.

so another tip of the cap to Baalke, who continues to school me in the art of drafting each and every year lol.

Yep, I was on the Bulaga bandwagon and a huge fan of Iupati--celebrated quite loudly when he was our pick at 17. Davis made me a bit nervous. I hoped we did not make a mistake with that one and it seems apparent that we did not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: