Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3-4 OLB's, by the #'s (Updated)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightsout85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
What twitch does is it takes the sprinting part of SS and isolates their COD skills.

I understand that. I was just wondering if any thought was given to cases where a player has a good/great 3-cone (which is also a COD drill - especially highlighting "bend") but has an oddly-low SS (that might lead one to believe the player just messed up doing the drill).

Would you just have to say in hindsight that it was an aberration & point to the 3-cone as the reason the player succeeded despite a bad twitch? (As it was noted Wimbley has been successful and was the only person in his group that had a sub-7s 3cone). You could always run a regression of 3cone vs SS times (for a position) and just substitute the bad SS with what the predicted SS would be based on their 3-cone, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone had come up with a "way around" this possible weakness in the metric. (Not that many player have this odd mis-match of times, but still interesting to me).
deathstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of trying to fix the time, maybe it's pointing to a flaw in the player?
lightsout85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
Instead of trying to fix the time, maybe it's pointing to a flaw in the player?

I'd be curious as to what makes each of the 2 drills unique? That is, on the surface they're both COD drills. I've seen analysis on 3-cone's correlation to a player's ability to bend & pass-rush from the edge - so I'm curious as to if there's something that SS captures that 3-cone doesn't. If not, I was just asking if there was anything other than hindsight to evaluate those odd-cases of bad SS + great 3-cone. There's nothing wrong with that, "____ doesn't grade out well in Twitch, but he's got a great 3-cone so he'll probably still be successful", but I was curious.
Nuke

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-4 OLB's, by the #'s (Updated) Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

Formulas used:
Twitch = Shuttle - 2*10 yd split - (1.60 - 10 yd split)
Bump to add 2014 list, and to point out that "twitch" formula can be done easier. Shuttle - 10 yard split - 1.60 is the exact same, and it's easier to do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmG38OtkC7qLdE1JTDRwaUJvZ2ZZMGtWM3NHN052U3c&usp=sharing#gid=0

EDIT:Now that I'm looking at it, per his formula players are punished for running a good 10 yard split. Starr has the lowest twitch by a mile because he A: had the best shuttle in the group and B: had the 3rd worst 10 yard split in the group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: