Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Winfield
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Winfield decesions next week.

He loves the DHall move and complements him well too. So that saids alot for who he will pick already . Probably more of us finding a way to get him or tell Wilson to be cut.

Turtle and any Wilson lover if your here...I can't wait to see your faces when Wilson is cut ...or better yet "POSTS".

Lets go team#Winfield !Smile

Do you know how bad our organization will look if we cut Wilson now? After the big rush of free agency? The Redskins are going to do the right thing and not cut Wilson, they may trade him, but dont look for the Skins to cut him.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:

He loves the DHall move and complements him well too. So that saids alot for who he will pick already . Probably more of us finding a way to get him or tell Wilson to be cut.

Turtle and any Wilson lover if your here...I can't wait to see your faces when Wilson is cut ...or better yet "POSTS".

Do you know how bad our organization will look if we cut Wilson now? After the big rush of free agency? The Redskins are going to do the right thing and not cut Wilson, they may trade him, but don't look for the Skins to cut him.
don't forget, Dashing seems to have a Dan Snyder mind and attitude. Sign other teams free agents and cut our own players, even if that player has been a solid contributor for us

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:

Do you know how bad our organization will look if we cut Wilson now? After the big rush of free agency? The Redskins are going to do the right thing and not cut Wilson, they may trade him, but dont look for the Skins to cut him.

I highly doubt we get rid of Wilson. There are some other players we could cut and some contracts we can redo.

I haven't done the math. I leave that to the UVA-alum Woz to do. But my cursory understanding is that next year we'll have a fair amount of cap space. So all we need is some relief on the cap for this season. You make Winfield's deal 3 years or so and have the guaranteed money paid out mostly in years 2 and 3 along with a higher salary in those years. Not sure how that can be done an keep with salary structure standards set forth by the league and the union but this is what I would do if I were them.

Let's say you want to lure Winfield with $5M guaranteed (just giving out a # here as an example, don't bash me for low/high balling) and a total contract of $10M. You fix it so he counts for $1.3M this year ($800k vet minimum salary and $500k from the signing bonus). That leaves $4.5M bonus to be spread out in years 2 and 3 when we will have space. The salary also bumps up to around $1M in year 2.

So by year 2 (assuming we split the remaining bonus equally in 2 and 3) we will have spent:

Year 1 = $1.3M
Year 2 = $3.25M ($1M salary and $2.25M bonus)

For a total of $4.55M after 2 years.

Year 3 = $5.45M ($3.2M salary and $2.25M bonus)

If we decide to keep him on in year 3 that's still a cheap corner (especially if he keeps playing like last year but I doubt it). Or we could extend him to another year (#4) and try to massage the #'s so that he hits less on year 3 on the cap.

Its essentially a 2 year deal and if we get rid of him in year 3 we owe the $2.25M in bonus money but that's it.

So we essentially paid him $6.8M to play for two years ($3.4M per year) but we got him in this year for relatively cheap and did so with very limited cap space in which to do it.

<<<<Again, I'm just throwing out #'s here for the sake of argument. The Winfield deal could get done fellas. You just have to be creative in how you go about it. Remember, we get our $18M in cap space back next year>>>>

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could do something similar to that but make they final year voidable Thai, it'd be similar to what they did with Josh Morgan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Jensen‏@seankjensen (Chicago Sun Times, and ex-MINN beat writer)

Sources: Antoine Winfield narrowed decision to Seahawks & Vikings yesterday. But no deal imminent & 1-2 contenders trying to jump into mix.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Sources: Antoine Winfield narrowed decision to Seahawks & Vikings yesterday. But no deal imminent & 1-2 contenders trying to jump into mix.
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=243921

Looks like we are going to lose out. All signs point to Winfield going to Seattle to be their #3, I guess... Confused

ESPN reported Wednesday afternoon that Winfield was closing in on a deal with Seattle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/322108030713991168

Quote:
@Edwerderespn Seahawks closing in on deal to have nickel CB Antoine Winfield join Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner in one of league's best secondaries

Makes me want to kick seattle's arse even more next year! Twisted Evil

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

i read that. I pretty much already gave up on him after we signed Biggers, then Hall. We need a FS so I think if we do anything we'll sign a FS before another CB
I would think with RG3s injury and unknown status Winfield, who's probably only got a season or two left, would go to another team with less questions about their starting QB come opening day.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 46 tackles, 9 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 36 catches, 377 rec yards
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

i read that. I pretty much already gave up on him after we signed Biggers, then Hall. We need a FS so I think if we do anything we'll sign a FS before another CB
I would think with RG3s injury and unknown status Winfield, who's probably only got a season or two left, would go to another team with less questions about their starting QB come opening day.
yep and Seattle makes sense. Probably means we won't have much of a shot at Woodson either.

I still wish we'd make a restructure to sign Corey Lynch or Rhodes though

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I think they're playing the waiting game. If they can draft a Phillip Thomas, there's no point in signing Lynch. However, if they cannot find a guy in the draft, then they'll be more interested in giving some of the free agents out there a look-see. It wouldn't surprise me if they've spoken to various agents and said "hey, we're really interested but because of the cap penalty we have to wait and see what happens."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: