Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dave Gettleman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Dave Gettleman Reply with quote

I know the jury is still out on him, but what does everyone think of him so far? I like what he's done so far. Especially the addition of Ted Ginn Jr. to ST. A true return man. I also love that he's starting to renegotiate the bad contracts Hurney made. Nice to have a GM who gets it, huh? I also hear he's a pretty good Draft Guru. So the best is yet to come. I'm optimistic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's done great so far. With Gross' restructure we are nice chunk under the cap. I also like the guys he's brought in. He's trying to improve the depth of our roster which is a really smart move.
Tedd Ginn was a great sign.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jury's still out, both because we haven't had a couple draft classes move through and he hasn't had to do any major contracts yet, but so far I like what he's done. Obviously, we didn't have the cap room to even attempt to make a big splash in free agency. But generally, I prefer to use free agency for exactly what he's doing, anyway - signing quality backups to fill holes in your depth chart, as opposed to knocking down the door for big time free agents.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will as previously stated take a couple years to truly judge him as we have to see what he does in the draft. if he does well like in FA (which i think he has done this year) but bombs the draft then he will be gone. but so far i am impressed

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what he's done thus far. During his initial interviews he mentioned that you build your teams from the bottom up; meaning your guys that are fringe roster players need to be very strong in what they do. I think the days of signing guys to hope they develop is over. We are going to bring in guys that we know can contribute if they have to step in, which is nice. No more Armanti gambles, no more Bruce Campbells, etc.

If he pulls out a good draft and we can walk away with 4-5 key contributors; I will consider him a success in his first year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is making solid moves where we need them. Given how much little money we had for FA, he still got it done depth wise as of right now. I can see him giving us a very good draft by taking players that have a very low risk coming out. We can easily go from a 7 win team to a 9-10 win team depending on the schedule and given the fact that Rivera has found the formula to finish games.

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Jury's still out, both because we haven't had a couple draft classes move through and he hasn't had to do any major contracts yet, but so far I like what he's done. Obviously, we didn't have the cap room to even attempt to make a big splash in free agency. But generally, I prefer to use free agency for exactly what he's doing, anyway - signing quality backups to fill holes in your depth chart, as opposed to knocking down the door for big time free agents.

Our next two big signings will be Greg Hardy next year and Cam Newton in two years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davlar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the horrific cap situation he inherited, he has done an outstanding job so far. All his moves have been smart ones. Even if we had a ton of cap space, I still think he would have made these moves - one-year deals are just good business.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a fake FB account, but its hilarious!
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said in a press conference today that he is not interested in trading picks and he will take BPA for the first pick.
ericr0319

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love what he has done. cutting players that had to be cut and restructuring gross. also signing guys to 1 year deals either to prove themselves or as gap fillers. i like to think we are heading in the direction or WR/DT in the 1st 2 rounds because of our signings.

also he will be cutting ties with stewart or dwill next year somehow someway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
i love what he has done. cutting players that had to be cut and restructuring gross. also signing guys to 1 year deals either to prove themselves or as gap fillers. i like to think we are heading in the direction or WR/DT in the 1st 2 rounds because of our signings.

also he will be cutting ties with stewart or dwill next year somehow someway.

The guys on The Drive seem to think if we go BPA that it will be Tavon Austin.

Gettleman likes our RBs. He will likely try to restructure them first. Beason can't be cut without a huge cap penalty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: