Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Around the league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texans have a better OL, sure.

I don't even think this has always been true. I still say that the Texans O-Line outside of Duane Brown from 2010 onwards is basically full of guys who are good run blockers, and nothing special as pass blockers. Last year's right side couldn't block anyone.

I know for a while, the Cowboys had revolving doors at each position on the OL - nothing was really set in stone, and injuries forced their hand. Guys were moved from T, to G, back to T, to C, back to G...it isn't necessarily an indication of the Texans having better players along the OL (which I will say that the Texans DID have...but for arguments sake, I will put that detail aside) it's just that the Cowboys had a rash of injuries that forced them to shuffle up the OL, forcing a few square pegs into round holes, keeping the unit together with some duct tape and superglue. The Texans had injuries to the likes of Chester Pitts and Mike Breisel (along with a four game suspension for Duane Brown) but those blows didn't dictate a complete shuffle - the Texans just went to the next man up in those cases, they didn't completely rehaul the OL midseason.

The sack numbers don't show on the Cowboys side because Tony Romo is 2nd to none in regards to escapability and extending a play. Had that been the relatively immobile Matt Schaub back there, they'd still be collecting his remains off of the turf, IMO.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
The sack numbers don't show on the Cowboys side because Tony Romo is 2nd to none in regards to escapability and extending a play. Had that been the relatively immobile Matt Schaub back there, they'd still be collecting his remains off of the turf, IMO.

Mobile Quarterbacks take far more sacks than ones who don't run(except in the rare case of someone who holds onto the ball too long and can't run). A guy who gets rid of the ball takes less hits and sacks pretty much always. I'm surprised this misconception is so strong with people. Not arguing the Cowboys line last year wasn't bad, but many non-mobile Quarterbacks have played with bad lines(just ask Peyton Manning) and done fine.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Mobile Quarterbacks take far more sacks than ones who don't run(except in the rare case of someone who holds onto the ball too long and can't run). A guy who gets rid of the ball takes less hits and sacks pretty much always. I'm surprised this misconception is so strong with people. Not arguing the Cowboys line last year wasn't bad, but many non-mobile Quarterbacks have played with bad lines(just ask Peyton Manning) and done fine.

Allow me to rephrase - I'm not looking at Romo and his speed and quickness; You're right, the "mobile" guys do tend to go down moreso than their slower counterparts.

When I reference Romo's escapability and extension abilities, I'm mostly discussing his internal clock, ability to feel pressure inside the pocket and his quick release once he's on the move. I feel as if those (in addition to his quickness) make him 2nd to none. I'd say the 2nd guy on the list would be Ben Roethlensberger, who has some good in-line speed, but not the quickest guy at 6' 5" and 240. However, his escapability is more due to his brute strength; He simply doesn't go down on first contact, and defenders have to really put "some stank on it" to bring him down.

I get what you're saying in regards to mobile QB, and I agree. However, I don't really attribute Romo's ability to extend a play strictly on his quickness and fleet feet for the position; Those are nice assets to have, but his clock is fine tuned, his awareness is to the point to where he knows where the pressure is coming from, and his release is so fast that even when a defender gets a hand on him, the ball is out.

AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "awareness" you describe is a very unreliable thing. Romo might know a Defensive End say is coming for him and spin away from him only to get sacked by a Tackle looping around who he didn't see. I'm not denying Romo has great escapability but his over-reliance on escaping in instances where other QBs would just get rid of the ball(and not even just throwing it out of bounds, sometimes there's an open receiver he's not seeing) has a lot to do with the fact that he is more prone to taking sacks, fumbling, and throwing interceptions than say Schaub is(much less guys like Peyton or Brady, or Brees who is better than anyone with pocket movement). Improvising by getting out of the pocket is by nature more random and unpredictable.

I strongly disagree with the notion that another QB who isn't as good at escaping outside the pocket would get killed behind the Cowboys line. Smarter QBs would probably take less sacks than Romo does and be just fine. There are plenty of teams with bad lines whose Quarterbacks don't get killed. I can tell you Eli Manning's O-Line was terrible the last time the Giants won the Superbowl, and he ran a mid-to downfield passing game that doesn't give a lot of easy throws, AND he threw the ball over 60 times more than Romo did last year. Yet he 8 less sacks(that's one for every other game). It's so often the case that Quarterbacks don't get enough blame for taking sacks.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolando McClain was officially released today.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
20 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

He may be a decent fit in Phillips defense. He's only a 2 down LB though and if we got him we should pay him accordingly

LORK88
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

He may be a decent fit in Phillips defense. He's only a 2 down LB though and if we got him we should pay him accordingly

No thanks.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

He's a convicted criminal. No thanks. I can overlook a few issues, but whem a guy puts a gun to someone's head and pulls the trigger mere inches away from said head, I think he might be a bit of a troublemaker...

PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Cribbs still hasn't been signed.. I think we should give him a look. We could use another veteran presence in the WR corps. but he could work predominantly as a returner and provide quality depth while we develop the younger talent.

LORK88
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cincy released Jason Allen today...id be ok with bringing him back on the cheap

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to find someplace to put this.... chose here

PFF ranks top 101 players of 2012 - 2013

#1 JJ Watt (up from 54 last year)
#9 AJ (unranked last year)
#13 D. Brown
#72 The Ninja

I think that is most of Texans I spotted on a quick scan thru. Wink

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/03/pffs-top-101-of-2012-the-top-10/
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario should of stayed with us.....he had a "bad" first season in terms of national media (Normal season to us Texan fans Wink ) and now he's suing his now ex fiancÚ because she wont give back the almost 900K, 10-ct diamond engagement ring. He's sighting that she never i tended on marrying him.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Mario should of stayed with us.....he had a "bad" first season in terms of national media (Normal season to us Texan fans Wink ) and now he's suing his now ex fiancÚ because she wont give back the almost 900K, 10-ct diamond engagement ring. He's sighting that she never i tended on marrying him.

Just read about this (thanks LJC for heads up).

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/05/06/mario-williams-wants-785000-engagement-ring-back-from-his-gold-digging-ex-fiancee/

I think rather than be distracted Mario may take out his anger and frustration on a few AFC East QB's.

Remember when he said:
Quote:
"Fans get me going. The worst thing to do is talk junk to me before I'm about to go against your quarterback. Whenever I get trash talked by fans at an away game, that's the best motivation. Because I know if I get the opportunity to get to the quarterback, it's going to be even worse now. If there's a fan telling me I'm garbage and my team sucks, you're talking directly to me. And I'm going to take it out directly on your quarterback."
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Just read about this (thanks LJC for heads up).

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/05/06/mario-williams-wants-785000-engagement-ring-back-from-his-gold-digging-ex-fiancee/

I think rather than be distracted Mario may take out his anger and frustration on a few AFC East QB's.

Remember when he said:
Quote:
"Fans get me going. The worst thing to do is talk junk to me before I'm about to go against your quarterback. Whenever I get trash talked by fans at an away game, that's the best motivation. Because I know if I get the opportunity to get to the quarterback, it's going to be even worse now. If there's a fan telling me I'm garbage and my team sucks, you're talking directly to me. And I'm going to take it out directly on your quarterback."

Hell, she should sue him. If you are supposed to spend 2 months salary on a wedding ring, he should have upgraded that thing to $2.6 million upon his new deal and probably included one for the other hand and some toes, nose, and belly button asking her to move to Buffalo.

Side note - I always wondered how uncomfortable it must have been for his fiance to walk past her former colleagues in the Texans ticket office going from making $20k-$30k as a premium ticket sales rep to being engaged to the franchise pass rusher who left the team for a $100 million contract. Maybe she can start a support group with Jesse Nading, Kasey Studdard, and other out of work Texans employees who's gravy train finally ran out. Former DBacks coach, David Gibbs, probably has a conference room available over at UH as long as you make him President of the Club. BTW - Totally kidding. I know nothing of the girl but she certainly doesn't outwardly profile as the typical gold digger type and the mere fact that she was with him for an extended period and didn't get herself knocked up eliminates her from a future on a future ex-housewives series.

I sure do wish the Texans played the Bills this year as I'd be the first to put out the cash to fund 80,000 candy ring pops to be displayed every time Mario failed to beat DB. I hate to mock anyone's suffering, but the irony of Mario fng Williams being "used" for money by a former Texans employee is palpable. Yo Mario, we want our $22 million for 2011 back. I guess you recovered from that "sports hernia" enough to diddle the ticket girls. Wonder if last season's "wrist tear" should have been an indication things weren't going well with the misses...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Blaze

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I guess you recovered from that "sports hernia" enough to diddle the ticket girls. Wonder if last season's "wrist tear" should have been an indication things weren't going well with the misses...
Laughing Laughing I almost fell out my chair laughing...

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 23 of 33

Jump to: