Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best and Worst Draft Choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Draft Choices Reply with quote

NFL.com is running their "Best and Worst" draft choices - the Seahawks aren't featured until April 19th but I figured I'd get it started right now. I only did the last 15 years or so but maybe I'll do some more historical research later on. Just thought I'd start a fun topic for the off-season.

Best Draft Choices
Shaun Alexander - Had a great, if short-lived, run with the Seahawks and was such an important part of that Superbowl team.

Walter Jones - One of the all-time greats and he wasn't even our first pick as we took Shawn Springs three picks earlier. Not a bad first round...

Steve Hutchinson - He and Walter formed the most dominant left side I've ever seen.

Marcus Trufant - He's been a great starter for a number of years and probably underrated by most because he's played his whole career in a media-lite city.

Earl Thomas - My favourite current player and one of the best safeties in the NFL.

Worst
Aaron Curry - Deemed by many to be the safest prospect in the draft he turned out to be one of the biggest busts.

Marcus Tubbs - The 11th overall pick was devasted by injuries and only lasted three seasons.

Koren Robinson - Lots of talent but was never able to put it together and never had the hands to be a consistent NFL receiver.

Jerramy Stevens - Just goes to show that it's not enough to be tall and athletic to be an NFL tight end. You've got to have something between the ears and heart.

Kelly Jennings - I've never been a fan and he could never get over the hump and become more than average. He was the 31st overall pick but still a first rounder and not good enough.

John Carlson - He was supposed to be this all-around tight end that could do everything. Sometimes when you're a jack of all trades it means you're a master of none and that's what Carlson was. Good at lots of stuff but great at nothing and he was never able to be anything more than a marginal starter.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to put down Earl Thomas, you should probably include Sherman, Okung, and Wilson. And I wouldnt include Carlson as a bust. He had a couple OK seasons and was drafted in only the 2nd round.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
hdshot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Mirer, Carp, and the Boz should be added to the bust list.

Jackson was a nice pick.
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdshot wrote:
Rick Mirer, Carp, and the Boz should be added to the bust list.

Jackson was a nice pick.

Waaay too early to call Carp a bust.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly agree with Mirer & Boz. Disagree with J Stevens. Yeah he was a head case & no one will ever forgive the SB drops, but he put up a pretty good body of work considering. Also agree too early to include Carp or Moffett. Where's Kenny Easley in the best list?
seahawks12thman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry.. huge bust, i thought we struck gold when we snatched him but was terribly wrong. Irvin though i believe will be a great pass rusher in the league just watching him this past year... btw how has James Carpenter been doing for us? has he been progressing over the past years or turning out to be a bust? i live in wisconsin so i dont see many seahawk games. haha
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seahawks12thman wrote:
Curry.. huge bust, i thought we struck gold when we snatched him but was terribly wrong. Irvin though i believe will be a great pass rusher in the league just watching him this past year... btw how has James Carpenter been doing for us? has he been progressing over the past years or turning out to be a bust? i live in wisconsin so i dont see many seahawk games. haha

When healthy this year, Carp was an above average OG with room to grow. He is a good mauler in the run game.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McGuire deserves to be on this list. And I think you already know which category.
sirensong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Draft Choices Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
NFL.com is running their "Best and Worst" draft choices - the Seahawks aren't featured until April 19th but I figured I'd get it started right now. I only did the last 15 years or so but maybe I'll do some more historical research later on. Just thought I'd start a fun topic for the off-season.

Best Draft Choices
Shaun Alexander - Had a great, if short-lived, run with the Seahawks and was such an important part of that Superbowl team.

Walter Jones - One of the all-time greats and he wasn't even our first pick as we took Shawn Springs three picks earlier. Not a bad first round...

Steve Hutchinson - He and Walter formed the most dominant left side I've ever seen.

Marcus Trufant - He's been a great starter for a number of years and probably underrated by most because he's played his whole career in a media-lite city.

Earl Thomas - My favourite current player and one of the best safeties in the NFL.

Worst
Aaron Curry - Deemed by many to be the safest prospect in the draft he turned out to be one of the biggest busts.

Marcus Tubbs - The 11th overall pick was devasted by injuries and only lasted three seasons.

Koren Robinson - Lots of talent but was never able to put it together and never had the hands to be a consistent NFL receiver.

Jerramy Stevens - Just goes to show that it's not enough to be tall and athletic to be an NFL tight end. You've got to have something between the ears and heart.

Kelly Jennings - I've never been a fan and he could never get over the hump and become more than average. He was the 31st overall pick but still a first rounder and not good enough.

John Carlson - He was supposed to be this all-around tight end that could do everything. Sometimes when you're a jack of all trades it means you're a master of none and that's what Carlson was. Good at lots of stuff but great at nothing and he was never able to be anything more than a marginal starter.

If Earl makes the list then Okung, Sherman, Chancellor, Wilson should all be there. Wagner, Wright, and others will all be great selections as well.
Dr.Seahawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McGwire
Rick Mirer
Brock Huard
Marcus Tubbs
Brian Bozworth
Lawerance Jackson
Aaron Curry

all pretty bad ones.
Dr.Seahawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Blades
Jacob Green
Cortez Kennedy
Chris Warren
Sam Adams
Joey Galloway
Shawn Springs
Walter Jones
Shuan Alexander
Steve Hutchinson

All were great draft picks
Dr.Seahawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
seahawks12thman wrote:

When healthy this year, Carp was an above average OG with room to grow. He is a good mauler in the run game.

I agree with Tooki, I think Carp is a mauler, and I think his best years are still ahead of him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: