Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks trade QB Matt Flynn to Raiders for two late picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
bobob123 wrote:
I think we got a good deal for a guy we were going to release anyway... I mean if Pete and John were looking for a trade partner for Flynn there was no chance he was going to make the final 53 man roster, not with his cap hit.
Not sure I follow your logic. We were looking for trading partners because we're always looking to make a move. I think if we hadn't found one, we would've kept him for this year and cut him next year.

That's my logic right there, Even if we kept him for this year we still would have released him after the year was over.

So. that's why I say it was a good deal for us, we at least got something for him instead just releasing him at the end of the year.

"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
bobob123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Raiders re-did Flynn's deal and gave him more guaranteed money this year than the Hawks would have. So my question is, Does anyone on here know if the cap hit for Flynn gets lower for the Hawks?

*Edit

Nevermind I found this right after I posted:

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2246184/Why-trading-Matt-Flynn-made-sense-for-the-Seahawks

Quote:
Financial planning

While Seahawk fans love SPAM (Spending Paul Allen's Money), Schneider and new capologist Matt Thomas have the responsibility of spreading that dough around for years to come.

Three million here, six million there goes a long way in the business models the Seahawks employ. In fact, the $3.25 million cap savings on Flynn's deal this season may allow for a contract with Kam Chancellor to get done. Taking Flynn's $6 million salary off the books in 2014 may facilitate a deal with Pro Bowler Earl Thomas.

The pencil sharpening and the penny counting will only get more difficult and challenging in the coming years. An opportunity to add more cost-controlled draft picks in 2014 and '15, and more importantly to stay out ahead of the budget, played a role in moving Flynn.

"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my mindset as well bob. It gives John a lot of room this year (and especially next) to resign one of the young draftees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: