Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 New Orleans Saints General Draft Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
That fact that we are discussing WR options for our 1st overall pick makes me weep.

I honestly believe Austin could have tremendous value to the Saints... but not as a player. Austin will not likely get past St. Louis at 16 or Pittsburgh at 17 making the 15th pick a valuable trade asset to a team looking to move up to get him.

The most value I see Austin having for the Saints is turning one defensive player for us into 3 or 4 for our rebuilding defense by trading away the right to draft him on draft day.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Quote:
According to Profootballtalk.com, "some" people around the league believe West Virginia WR Tavon Austin's over-under in April's draft is pick No. 15.
The Rams pick at No. 16 and the feeling around the league is ostensibly that Austin wouldn't get past their selection. The Saints have the 15th pick. New Orleans seems more likely to focus on defense in the first round, but could be stationed in a bit of a "hotspot" for a team like the pick-rich 49ers to trade into. Pre-draft rumors have San Francisco interested in a move up for Austin.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 45 Tkls 4 PD 1 SCK 2 INTs
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
thesolution wrote:
It's not a question of if the saints should trade back. It's how far should they?

I'm not saying there is no way we trade down. I could see a situation in which no one is available and another team is offering us a lot to move back. But i don't understand why people are saying moving back is the only option or we need to get a lot of picks for depth. This team has plenty of depth and more deep talent than I've seen in a while. Assuming we stay put I still see guy like Will Herring, Travaris Cadet, Michael Higgins, Andrew Tiller, and Bryce Harris getting cut to make room. If we get more picks who gets cut next?

If we are in a terrible position in the draft, no one available, someone wanting to trade up, I can see it. We're not going to pick a bad 1st round draft picks to save a spot for Bryce Harris, but I don't see us going back unless absolutely necessary.

I respectfully disagree. Todd McShay claims that the top of the first round this year is not as strong as last year. But, there are more players with starting ability in the second/third round this year than in last year's draft.
My dream scenario is two trades down which ends up with the Saints picking #29 in the first with a second and two fourth round picks. At #29, I think that there will likely be a DT such as Williams, Hankins or Short available. And, with the second pick, I hope for Jamie Collins or a top rated safety. Both of those positions are thin in my opinion.
Morgan may be emerging as the deep threat Henderson was and Toon should contribute as a fouth receiver. Both Colston and Moore had over 1,000 yards last year. And, Graham will also be awesome again. The defense in 2009 was actually decent, especially in the takeaway department. An improved defense will win us more games than adding to our prolific offense. We finished #2 in scoring last year and #1 overall in yards gained, if my memory is correct.
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPjeffryred wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
thesolution wrote:
It's not a question of if the saints should trade back. It's how far should they?

I'm not saying there is no way we trade down. I could see a situation in which no one is available and another team is offering us a lot to move back. But i don't understand why people are saying moving back is the only option or we need to get a lot of picks for depth. This team has plenty of depth and more deep talent than I've seen in a while. Assuming we stay put I still see guy like Will Herring, Travaris Cadet, Michael Higgins, Andrew Tiller, and Bryce Harris getting cut to make room. If we get more picks who gets cut next?

If we are in a terrible position in the draft, no one available, someone wanting to trade up, I can see it. We're not going to pick a bad 1st round draft picks to save a spot for Bryce Harris, but I don't see us going back unless absolutely necessary.

I respectfully disagree. Todd McShay claims that the top of the first round this year is not as strong as last year. But, there are more players with starting ability in the second/third round this year than in last year's draft.
My dream scenario is two trades down which ends up with the Saints picking #29 in the first with a second and two fourth round picks. At #29, I think that there will likely be a DT such as Williams, Hankins or Short available. And, with the second pick, I hope for Jamie Collins or a top rated safety. Both of those positions are thin in my opinion.
Morgan may be emerging as the deep threat Henderson was and Toon should contribute as a fouth receiver. Both Colston and Moore had over 1,000 yards last year. And, Graham will also be awesome again. The defense in 2009 was actually decent, especially in the takeaway department. An improved defense will win us more games than adding to our prolific offense. We finished #2 in scoring last year and #1 overall in yards gained, if my memory is correct.

The only offensive skill player I would spend an early pick on is Keenan Allen and thats because I think he's going to be special in the NFL, think Torry Holy type production in his first year if you put him on a team like the Saints, Patriots, Green Bay, or Denver and healthy. A guy that can beat you with speed, moves, and route running, as well as in the return game. He goes deep, over the middle, just everything you want with measurables.

That being said it would be preferred to get two defensive players like Hankins and Collins with a trade back with San Francisco.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
MPjeffryred wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
thesolution wrote:

The only offensive skill player I would spend an early pick on is Keenan Allen and thats because I think he's going to be special in the NFL, think Torry Holy type production in his first year if you put him on a team like the Saints, Patriots, Green Bay, or Denver and healthy. A guy that can beat you with speed, moves, and route running, as well as in the return game. He goes deep, over the middle, just everything you want with measurables.

That being said it would be preferred to get two defensive players like Hankins and Collins with a trade back with San Francisco.

AGREED!!!!!
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start a revolution if the Saints select Tavon Austin in the first round.
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd be disappointed with Austin at 15. I'm down with trading down and getting Collins.

With the news that they have Smith and Jordan pencilled in as DE's, and Bunkley and Hicks pencilled in as rotating DT's, would you guys consider drafting UCLA's DE Datone Jones at the end of the 1st?

Jones and Collins with our first two picks would make our front seven pretty decent.

DE: Jordan/Johnson
NT: Bunkley/Hicks
DE: Smith/Jones

OLB: Galette/Collins
ILB: Hawthorne/Vilma
ILB: Lofton/Herring(?)
OLB: Wilson/Butler

Not too bad.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Yeah I'd be disappointed with Austin at 15. I'm down with trading down and getting Collins.

With the news that they have Smith and Jordan pencilled in as DE's, and Bunkley and Hicks pencilled in as rotating DT's, would you guys consider drafting UCLA's DE Datone Jones at the end of the 1st?

Jones and Collins with our first two picks would make our front seven pretty decent.

DE: Jordan/Johnson
NT: Bunkley/Hicks
DE: Smith/Jones

OLB: Galette/Collins
ILB: Hawthorne/Vilma
ILB: Lofton/Herring(?)
OLB: Wilson/Butler

Not too bad.

Yeah I really like Jones in a trade down situation. If we trade down and if he's available with that pick. Those are 2 big questions but assuming both are yes I like it. I think your depth chart needs some reworking though. I'd go:

DE: Jordan/Coleman/Walker
NT: Hicks/Bunkley
DE: Jones/Smith/Johnson

OLB: Galette/Butler
ILB: Wilson/Hawthorne/Herring
ILB: Lofton/Vilma
OLB: Collins/Chamberlain

Just saying I think Jones and Collins would start, but like the idea of getting Datone Jones.
Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Mills, OT from Louisiana Tech is visiting with the Saints. Would be an Option for a trade scenario!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see any possibility of us maybe moving into the second to draft Mike Glennon?

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: