Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Free Agency Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anubiz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather stay far, far away from Rolando McClain, but if he was to come in on a minimum salary that's incentive laden. I'd potentially be interested, but I'd rather wait till after the draft to even think about that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubiz wrote:
I'd much rather stay far, far away from Rolando McClain, but if he was to come in on a minimum salary that's incentive laden. I'd potentially be interested, but I'd rather wait till after the draft to even think about that.

Oh I definitely meant post draft signing. I can't imagine there's a big line to sign him up
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 31m
#Raven @BryanHall95 is switching from DT to ILB. RT to show your support for his position change. | http://bmob.us/5fl

Thought this was interesting. Definitely did not expect this. What do you all make of this move? Just his way of trying to make the team after we signed a few DLine players?

GO RAVENS!!
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Quote:
#Raven @BryanHall95 is switching from DT to ILB. RT to show your support for his position change. | http://bmob.us/5fl

Thought this was interesting. Definitely did not expect this. What do you all make of this move? Just his way of trying to make the team after we signed a few DLine players?

If Harbs has asked him to do it, as Hall suggests, it seems more to me like the Ravens aren't particularly enamoured with the ILBs in the draft. Or at least, they don't intend to go high on a guy.

Harbs has already said McClellan will be playing ILB, and now Hall too?

I just fret about these requests though. Asking guys to lose or gain weight, or to switch from O to D and vice versa, just so they can "see what he's like". I mean, if you don't like him there and cut him, I think the changes he's made to himself make it that much harder to be picked up by another team. So I really hope Hall impresses them at ILB and gets himself on the roster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Quote:

If Harbs has asked him to do it, as Hall suggests, it seems more to me like the Ravens aren't particularly enamoured with the ILBs in the draft. Or at least, they don't intend to go high on a guy.

Harbs has already said McClellan will be playing ILB, and now Hall too?

I just fret about these requests though. Asking guys to lose or gain weight, or to switch from O to D and vice versa, just so they can "see what he's like". I mean, if you don't like him there and cut him, I think the changes he's made to himself make it that much harder to be picked up by another team. So I really hope Hall impresses them at ILB and gets himself on the roster.

1. I wouldn't say that.

I think this says more about the state of the ILB position on our roster than the draft. Harbaugh is a HC, he can't depend on the front office being able to bring in guys at all the spots to cover his team. Ozzie and DeCosta do a phenomenal job in filling those holes, but no good coach is going to leave everything into the front office's hands. Our DL depth is insanely deep ATM. It was unlikely that Hall would've made the roster at DL, so Harbaugh was giving him a chance to show how he can look at another position before the draft.

Bill Polian mentioned that what makes Ozzie so great as a GM is in his ability to analyze the roster and know what he has and what he needs. Well if Harbs moving Hall to ILB could patch up one of our depth spots at ILB than that allows us to do things like cut Brendon Ayanbadejo to save money, if it means we don't have to double dip at ILB in the draft, well then it was a very good switch for our roster. So I think this switch is more about improving the team pre-draft than looking at the draft and thinking its nothing there for us.

2. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. I think people tend to get trapped into the notion that a player is defined by his position, locked into that role. But Hall said it best, he's a football player. When I was in high school I started at RB, ILB, S, DE, LT, DT, TE, and OLB... I think whatever role a player needs to play to give the team the best chance to compete, I think is where he should play.

It's not like Harbaugh is asking Terence Cody to make the switch to ILB. At his proday Bryant Hall weighed in at 6'0 1/2" 295 lbs and ran a 4.86 forty. He's lost 23 lbs from his EOS weight of 291 lbs. So he should be about 268 lbs. If he drops another 10 lbs or so by the season, we could be talking about a guy at 258 lbs who has 4.6-4.7 type speed. He could offer a very intriguing option. Honestly, I love it. I think guys like Bryan Hall is what football is all about. Doing whatever it takes to be an NFL player and to being the kind of player to put the team above himself.

3. This isn't related to any point you made, but I think the switch also should benefit Hall in that a) losing all that weight should be better for him in the long run. So many big football players die of heart attacks down the road, losing the weight should increase his life expectancy. And the other point b) Hall has always wanted to play ILB and it was his dream to play that position in the NFL, Harbaugh asking Hall to switch to LBer is allowing the guy to fulfill his dream. I hope he succeeds to become a really good player because just imagine if he goes onto be a talent and it was Harbaugh giving him this opportunity that allowed him to fulfill his dream and what would become his best NFL position. Would make for a nice story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Hall like 295 lbs? Holy crap he's gotta shed a lot of weight! Just another ripple effect to Flacco's contract! Thanks Joe, because of you we couldn't sign Ellerbe back, so now we had to move McClellan to ILB and move a 295 DT to ILB as well! THANKS!

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Integrity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like DB mentioned, Hall has already shed a lot of weight. I think he'll transition to the LB position better than Jarrett Johnson did, and that's not a knock on JJ at all.

Hall is an extremely hard worker and is well liked in the locker room. I'm glad he'll be able to stick to the roster, even if its at a new position.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall moving to ILB is interesting. He was probably 8th on the depth chart as a DL so he should have a better chance to make the roster at ILB. I'm not expecting much out of him at ILB but at the same time I didn't think he was going to make a big impact as a 3rd string guy on the DL either. Regardless I don't think this affects what Baltimore is going to do in the draft or the rest of free agency at all.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinnie is visiting the Dolphins. Their owner recently said he has a plan at tackle after the Albert trade didn't happen.

I'm not really concerned, but I know a lot of Ravens' fans desperately want McKinnie back.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really want McKinnie back but if re-signing him meant keeping Osemele at LG I am/would have been all for it. Sadly he's probably the best LT left on the free agent market so his price is probably higher than what the Ravens want to pay. I wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on Jammal Brown if they don't get Mckinnie back.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think left tackle is going to be something Ozzie waits till the summer to address, if at all. He'll be waiting to see if someone like Jason Peters gets cut in training camp, or else try to make due with what we've got. Max Starks is also still sitting out there, he knows the AFC North well but his pass protection has always been really streaky.

I feel like a partyboy like McKinnie in South Beach could be a really bad combination, for what it's worth. He did go to college down there, but all in all it seems like a bit of a toxic combination. Unless they heavily incentivize a contract offer for him, I would bet he takes his paycheck and then puts his mind towards the clubs, girls, and beaches. And if they do give McKinnie a contract without much guaranteed money, that might push his market value back down to where Ozzie feels he's worth bringing back. But if they throw money at him, he's gone. In no way has he proved himself worthy of that kind of investment.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the talk of KO at LT aside, Oher is probably the starter there in Denver on opening night, which leaves either Reid or Wagner to battle in camp for the RT job.

The free agent list is less than inspiring right now, but a guy like Demetress Bell could make sense and be a cheap addition if we bring someone in off the street.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there are some rumblings about the Ravens adding a veteran receiver. I don't know how much stock there is in those rumors and they seem to like the youn guys on the roster but here's a list of the currently available receivers on the market (info taken from here):

Quote:
Seyi Ajirotutu
Devin Aromashodu
Brandon Banks
Ramses Barden
Deion Branch
Steve Breaston
Duke Calhoun
Austin Collie
Josh Cribbs
Victor Cruz (RFA)
Early Doucet
Braylon Edwards
Derek Hagan
Devery Henderson
Ronald Johnson
Marvin Jones (RFA)
Brandon Lloyd
Stefan Logan
Ruvell Martin
Randy Moss
Ben Obomanu
Kassim Osgood
Roscoe Parrish
Laurent Robinson
Chaz Schilens
Michael Spurlock
Brandon Stokley
Sammie Stroughter
Lavasier Tuinei
Matt Willis

Judging by Baltimore's trend this offseason they seem to like targeting players who were released from their previous team. The receivers from the list who fit that criteria include the following:

Quote:
Steve Breaston
Early Doucet
Brandon Lloyd
Ben Obomanu
Laurent Robinson
Lavasier Tuinei

To be honest I prefer seeing what the young players already with the Ravens have to offer but if they do sign a veteran from that uninspiring list I'd prefer Doucet. He's had some durability issues over his career but I feel like he's a different kind of receiver than Baltimore has on the roster and Doucet might benefit (a lot) from not playing with the caliber of QB that Arizona has thrown out lately. Lloyd doesn't interest me, Breaston is a former Wolverine, and Robinson seems like the epitome of a 1-year wonder. Obomanu and Tuinei are irrelevant.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate Washington comes up a lot in potential cut thread. Wouldn't mind picking him up if he becomes available.

Free Ray Rice
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want any one of those guys (except Cruz, and he's not going anywhere). In my opinion, WRs are usually on the free agency market for a good reason. More than any other position (except QB, I guess), I think these guys aren't left lying around for long if they have much to offer.

I would much prefer the Ravens to look at their current receiving corps and say, 'okay guys, now is your big chance. Go out there and prove to us that you can be valuable to this team'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 42 of 43

Jump to: