Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans sign former Texans WR Kevin Walter; OL Chris Spencer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Also, if I'm Velasco I come in and sign my tender before they take it away. (can they do that for RFAs?) Cause I'm not 100% convienced that Spencer or Turner isn't better than Velasco.

..Is this post serious?

Velasco was arguably the best player on the offensive line last year, even when the entire line was surging throughout the middle of the season. Neither Spencer nor Turner have ever even come close to the production he showed last year.

People have this warped view of our offensive line last season due to all the injuries it had towards the end, but when they were all healthy and had finally gotten use to playing with each other, we had one of the better lines in the league. Harris and Lutui were pretty meh/bad, but outside of that, everyone was playing at an at least above average level.

Agreed. Velasco was one of best centers last year. If I remember correctly he didn't give up a single sack and was very good at run blocking. I'm not sure what your talking about KT.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Also, if I'm Velasco I come in and sign my tender before they take it away. (can they do that for RFAs?) Cause I'm not 100% convienced that Spencer or Turner isn't better than Velasco.

..Is this post serious?

Velasco was arguably the best player on the offensive line last year, even when the entire line was surging throughout the middle of the season. Neither Spencer nor Turner have ever even come close to the production he showed last year.

People have this warped view of our offensive line last season due to all the injuries it had towards the end, but when they were all healthy and had finally gotten use to playing with each other, we had one of the better lines in the league. Harris and Lutui were pretty meh/bad, but outside of that, everyone was playing at an at least above average level.

Yes it's a serious post....

Let me say it like this instead...

Not saying they are better, but wouldn't suprise me if the coaches picked one of them over Velasco at Center.
They love a veteran at Center. One who makes calls and adjustments like Mawae did.
I'm not sure how much responsibilty Velasco had with that aspect of the game. But it's just my own little feeling about the situation.

But in the same breathe, I'm not going to say in definte words that Spencer or Turner couldn't be as good or better than Velasco with our "new" group of Lineman.
Offensive line is all about playing as an unit. One player can man-handle their assignment all day and we still see bad results.

Munch has said they are going to make over 2 OR 3 spots of the interior line, meaning that Velasco will have to earn his spot. Levitre has one so the other 2 spots are up for grabs. Velasco has a 95% chance of keeping his spot, but I'm not going to write his name in stone as a starter above Turner. Spencer yes, but Turner is going to push for the center job.

Velasaco at Guard is more a given to me than at Center just because of how much I feel they love older Vets.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

..Is this post serious?

Not saying they are better, but wouldn't suprise me if the coaches picked one of them over Velasco at Center.
They love a veteran at Center. One who makes calls and adjustments like Mawae did.
I'm not sure how much responsibilty Velasco had with that aspect of the game. But it's just my own little feeling about the situation.

But in the same breathe, I'm not going to say in definte words that Spencer or Turner couldn't be as good or better than Velasco with our "new" group of Lineman.
Offensive line is all about playing as an unit. One player can man-handle their assignment all day and we still see bad results.

Munch has said they are going to make over 2 OR 3 spots of the interior line, meaning that Velasco will have to earn his spot. Levitre has one so the other 2 spots are up for grabs. Velasco has a 95% chance of keeping his spot, but I'm not going to write his name in stone as a starter above Turner. Spencer yes, but Turner is going to push for the center job.

Velasaco at Guard is more a given to me than at Center just because of how much I feel they love older Vets.

Erm...You are aware that Velasco and Turner are both 28(although Turner entered the league a year prior to Velasco and is 7 months older), and they have started the same amount of games(well, Velasco has 1 more start, but whatever).

Turner has no more experience than Velasco does, so that argument really doesn't make much sense. Spencer is the veteran of the 3, given he's 31 and has 89 starts under his belt, but he's struggled heavily the past couple years, so I don't see him pushing anyone for a starting job. He's just here as depth, IMO.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Erm...You are aware that Velasco and Turner are both 28(although Turner entered the league a year prior to Velasco and is 7 months older), and they have started the same amount of games(well, Velasco has 1 more start, but whatever).

Turner has no more experience than Velasco does, so that argument really doesn't make much sense. Spencer is the veteran of the 3, given he's 31 and has 89 starts under his belt, but he's struggled heavily the past couple years, so I don't see him pushing anyone for a starting job. He's just here as depth, IMO.

I thought Turner had more experience. My mistake.

Well, I still think Velasco and Turner have a battle on their hands. Depends heavily on they draft too I guess.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see one of them take Velasco spot..
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

..Is this post serious?

Agreed 100%. The only way Velasco is not the starting center next year is if they draft a pure center and want Velasco at RG. Velasco can play all 3 of the interior positions and play them all very good.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk & Maraini on the roster bubble with addition of Walter.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/04/02/walter-deal-could-impact-hawkins-mariani/

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter gives us a big target but I'm not a fan of him. I was really opening up to drafting a wide out in rounds 1 or 2 this year. Hopefully this is just a camp body which is may be for the vet minimum.

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Fernando Velasco is not starting at center when week one rolls around, I am going to cry real tears of disappointment. I'm finally beginning to have faith in this coaching staff, they couldn't possibly do something like that to me.
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know why anyone is considering the possibility of Velasco not being our starting center next year lol. He was the biggest asset to the interior offensive line all season long and there has been no one brought in that has any chance of unseating him. Short of any injuries before the season opener and our FO shocking everyone and not taking an OG in the first three rounds, our starters on the line will be Roos, Levitre, Velasco, Rookie OG, Stewart. The only spot up for debate will be RG and even that won't be much of a camp battle if we draft one of the top 3-4 guards. Every lineman we've added this off-season has been valuable depth.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyWallace wrote:
I don't even know why anyone is considering the possibility of Velasco not being our starting center next year lol. He was the biggest asset to the interior offensive line all season long and there has been no one brought in that has any chance of unseating him. Short of any injuries before the season opener and our FO shocking everyone and not taking an OG in the first three rounds, our starters on the line will be Roos, Levitre, Velasco, Rookie OG, Stewart. The only spot up for debate will be RG and even that won't be much of a camp battle if we draft one of the top 3-4 guards. Every lineman we've added this off-season has been valuable depth.

Nothing like sparking a debate fire..lol

I just can see a scenario where he may get beat out. Likely, no. But I'm just saying if I'm him, I sign my tender, don't like the contract situation drag out, before they start to "like" what the FA signings bring. Happened before where they say "oh he was better than I thought."
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
DannyWallace wrote:

Nothing like sparking a debate fire..lol

I just can see a scenario where he may get beat out. Likely, no. But I'm just saying if I'm him, I sign my tender, don't like the contract situation drag out, before they start to "like" what the FA signings bring. Happened before where they say "oh he was better than I thought."

I hear what you're saying but Chris Spencer isn't going to show them anymore than what he's already shown during his career, he was brought in to be depth on this team. Rob Turner has a little more to offer and he performed slightly above-average and I guess solid enough in his first chance as a full-time starter last year. I just don't see any scenario where Turner is battling Velasco for a spot. Can he win the starting job at RG? Absolutely. Although, even that doesn't make a lot of sense to me or the Titans wouldn't be so intrigued with first and second round OG's in this years draft if they thought Turner could come in and start at RG and be an upgrade. IMO, Velasco is in no rush and the Titans aren't pushing him too hard either. He's going to come in and sign, he's going to start at C, we're going to draft someone in the first three rounds to start at RG and it has the possibility to be a camp battle between the rook and Turner, with the rookie eventually winning the job and Turner becoming our most valuable interior depth and swing guy for the three spots.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a fan of Walter i would of rathered Hixon or gave up the pick or what ever for Alexander or even an Emanual Sanders but the guy that wasnt mentioned on the roster bubble was Nate and hes the guy i think we cut soon along with Amano and prob Hawk. I think Mariani will make it to camp and he'll get his chance there if he can get healthy

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
-Munch-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Walter is going to go from the #2 in Houston to the number #5 in tennessee LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: