Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
1) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
I would prefer to trade into the early part of round 2 and pick up an extra pick, but if we stay put, I want Hopkins. Heís incredibly smart in his route running and knows how to set up DBs. He didnít have a great 40 time, but he runs so much faster than he timed. I have no doubts he can take advantage of the 1-on-1matchups heíll get playing opposite Andre.

2) David Amerson, FS, NC State
Amerson played safety in HS before switching over to corner, but I think he would be an awesome center-field type player at safety. He has awesome measurables and would add some much needed height to the secondary. Heíd also get the ability to learn behind Ed Reed while also filling in as the 3rd safety/nickel defender.

3) Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon
The only way I want to draft an ILB before day 3 is if they can make plays which is what Alonso is. Heís a three down player in the middle who would add more athleticism than we had last season. I donít think his previous off-field problems would happen again. If we wait until day 3, Iím fine drafting a thumper (Bostic, Johnson).

3) Michael Buchanan, OLB, Illinois (comp)
He had a down season, but thatís because he had his jaw wired shut for a week and he lost 20 pounds. He played next to Mercilus his junior and at times, looked just as good. If he can return to form, heíd be a solid backup OLB while he transitions to the position.

4) Bennie Logan, NT, LSU
He may not be massive, but he has experience at nose tackle and is deceptively athletic. He fits that athletic nose tackle that Wade is always looking for. It also doesnít hurt that heís a junior so on the young side with plenty of potential. He would make a great pairing with Mitchell and help lock down the nose tackle spot.

5) Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio St
He has very limited experience at tackle (1 starting season), but is incredibly athletic and would be a perfect fit for the ZBS. The fact that he made honorable mention All-Big 10 in only 1 year at the position goes to show his vast potential. It also doesnít hurt that heís a former tight end which is equivalent to gold for the Texans.

6) Quanterus Smith, OLB, WKU
Smith tore his ACL November 17th and still ended up with the most sacks in the nation. He had 3 sacks against Alabama and would be drafted so much higher if it wasnít for his injury. His measurable remain a mystery plus that fact that heís still recovering. If he is still around at this point, we could draft him and send him to the IR resort or PUP.

6) Jared Smith, DE, New Hampshire (comp)
I like Crick as our backup DE, but it scares me that we donít have much beyond that. Smith is a small school prospect with solid measureables and lots of hustle. He kind of reminds me of a much more talented Tim Bulman. I think he could help our special teams and also provide some key depth down the road.

7) Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska
Iíve always secretly been a Nebraska fan since my Dad is from there. As such, I got to see a Rex play a lot and he would be a steal in the 7th. He doesnít have a lot of straight-line speed, but he has awesome lateral quickness and would a perfect fit in the ZBS. He has deceptive hands out of the backfield and is a high character guy as well.

Goodness, this would be so much win. Not a pick here I don't like.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson
‏@RavensInsider
Texas A&M linebacker Sean Porter: private workouts Chiefs, Falcons, Cowboys, Patriots; Interest from Broncos, Bears, Texans and Rams

Meh. Not a fan. Probably being looked at ILB for us. He can be brought in and doesn't count against our allowed 30 player visits b/c he is local.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson
‏@RavensInsider
Elon wide receiver Aaron Mellette private workouts with Colts, Panthers and Seahawks, per source. Interest: Texans, Ravens, Patriots, Jets

Fits the bill. Could be a Day 3 target.
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson
‏@RavensInsider
Texas A&M linebacker Sean Porter: private workouts Chiefs, Falcons, Cowboys, Patriots; Interest from Broncos, Bears, Texans and Rams

Meh. Not a fan. Probably being looked at ILB for us. He can be brought in and doesn't count against our allowed 30 player visits b/c he is local.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson
‏@RavensInsider
Elon wide receiver Aaron Mellette private workouts with Colts, Panthers and Seahawks, per source. Interest: Texans, Ravens, Patriots, Jets

Fits the bill. Could be a Day 3 target.

Porter would be a great ILB; he has a much higher ceiling than guys like Brown, Bostic, Greene, and Minter. I'd say he's a lower-risk, lower-reward version of Alec Ogletree.
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson
‏@RavensInsider

We've also met with or talked to Gerald Hodges and Sio Moore so there is a good chance that we are looking for a smaller ILB. Then again, we've also met with or talked to Minter and Te'o.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question coming out of the first-pick draft game. How vital is it that you come away with a receiver early on? I drafted as the Texans and:

Austin, Patterson and Allen were gone before #27
Hunter, Hopkins, Williams T and Woods were gone by #46 in the 2nd (so no cheap trade up)
Patton, Wheaton and Dobson went before the 3rd round pick

This was the draft I ended up with:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 27: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon (A)
Round 2 Pick 25: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 27: Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida (A)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech (B+)
Round 5 Pick 27: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston (A)
Round 6 Pick 27: Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State (A)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt (A-)
Round 7 Pick 27: Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State (A)

As you can see, your defense would improve a tad Laughing. But while Rogers has some talent, he's hardly a dependable #2 immediately.

Would you be happy with such a BPA-orientated draft?
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:
A question coming out of the first-pick draft game. How vital is it that you come away with a receiver early on? I drafted as the Texans and:

Hunter, Hopkins, Williams T and Woods were gone by #46 in the 2nd (so no cheap trade up)

Your Picks:

As you can see, your defense would improve a tad Laughing. But while Rogers has some talent, he's hardly a dependable #2 immediately.

I'll take it. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I am addicted to first-pick, but they need to update their team needs. Houston doesn't need any guards, a punter, or a fullback.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:

Your Picks:

...wait, how the hell did Dion Jordan fall to 27? I'm all about rookie WRs in the first, but if Jordan was there and ALL the rookie WRs from this class were there at 27, I take Jordan 100 times out of 100. Then, Bacarri Rambo? Jon Bostic? Jon Hankins? DJ Hayden? Holy hell, were you drafting against Madden AI?

I'd stop following the draft after this draft, because all other drafts would be ruined for me. This would be a 2006-esque draft, just impact guys all over the place.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
DrawABlank wrote:

Your Picks:

I'll take it. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I am addicted to first-pick, but they need to update their team needs. Houston doesn't need any guards, a punter, or a fullback.

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'd stop following the draft after this draft, because all other drafts would be ruined for me. This would be a 2006-esque draft, just impact guys all over the place.

I dunno guys the Otten & Stacy picks kinda ruined it for me

Just jokes... if that was our draft in 2013, I think they could go ahead and mail us the Lombardi trophy
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
DrawABlank wrote:

Your Picks:

...wait, how the hell did Dion Jordan fall to 27? I'm all about rookie WRs in the first, but if Jordan was there and ALL the rookie WRs from this class were there at 27, I take Jordan 100 times out of 100. Then, Bacarri Rambo? Jon Bostic? Jon Hankins? DJ Hayden? Holy hell, were you drafting against Madden AI?

ET - If you haven't tried it yet then you should. While I respect that they are using their own ranking for players, the player selections are all over the place. Some drafts at #27 every WR is still available, and sometimes the top 5 WRs are gone by pick 27. I love the site, and probably spend too much time, but some things seem unrealistic. I've had draft where I traded down out of the first and ended up with about 9 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. While I know that puts way too many rookies on a team, that is the meat of this draft, and there were tons of "first round players" (by standards of NFL.com, Mayock, WalterFootball, that is) throughout the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and I cleaned house.

That being said, Dion Jordan would be an absolute steal at 27. I personally don't really like Rogers, but I think that's good value for him. Overall a great draft, but I think the NFL analysts may know better than the first-pick.com rankings.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:

Your Picks:

If our draft went like that I'd be thrilled, best ever. How does Jordan fall to #27, that won't happen on draft day. Rogers in the 4th, he'll go in the 2nd on draft day.
DrawABlank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Holy hell, were you drafting against Madden AI?

I'd stop following the draft after this draft, because all other drafts would be ruined for me

The website is fun, but the random-number generator seems to be working overtime. The point of posting the draft was to discuss whether or not a BPA approach was valid, but I guess shiny toys like Dion Jordan somewhat obscured the overall point.

Is receiver a cast iron certainty in the top two rounds - and what players (realistically) would make you reconsider?

----

To highlight the silliness of the draft game - the "Clark Hunt is cheap" team. Traded down repeatedly from #1 overall, and ended up with the following (at one point in the 2nd round I had 5 consecutive picks):

Ryan Nassib - Marcus Lattimore - Dennis Johnson - Kyle Juszczyk
DeAndre Hopkins - Terrance Williams - Kenny Stills - Zach Ertz
Terron Armstead - Justin Pugh - Brian Schwenke - Brian Winters - Brennan Williams
----
Datone Jones - Sylvester Williams - Jonathan Hankins - Tank Carradine
Devontre Holloman - Jon Bostic - Zaviar Gooden
Jamar Taylor - Blili Wreh-Wilson - DJ Hayden - Phillip Thomas - Jonathan Cyprien
Dustin Hopkins - Brad Wing

That team might even be able to challenge last year's KC win total...
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now dreamed on two separate occasions that the Texans will draft Rodney Smith out of Florida State in the 1st round. I have no idea how my brain is so focused on this guy -- I've never watched him play and have focused my draftable-wide-receiver-attention on other guys much more thoroughly. But I hear Roger Goodell say his name in my head and then Mel Kiper's bewildered fumbling as a career highlight reel rolls on the screen.

In the latest iteration, the Texans trade their 2nd round pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins and then draft Rod Smith. The nightmare was so bad that I had to wake myself up.
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Holy hell, were you drafting against Madden AI?

I'd stop following the draft after this draft, because all other drafts would be ruined for me

The website is fun, but the random-number generator seems to be working overtime. The point of posting the draft was to discuss whether or not a BPA approach was valid, but I guess shiny toys like Dion Jordan somewhat obscured the overall point.

Is receiver a cast iron certainty in the top two rounds - and what players (realistically) would make you reconsider?

----

To highlight the silliness of the draft game - the "Clark Hunt is cheap" team. Traded down repeatedly from #1 overall, and ended up with the following (at one point in the 2nd round I had 5 consecutive picks):

Ryan Nassib - Marcus Lattimore - Dennis Johnson - Kyle Juszczyk
DeAndre Hopkins - Terrance Williams - Kenny Stills - Zach Ertz
Terron Armstead - Justin Pugh - Brian Schwenke - Brian Winters - Brennan Williams
----
Datone Jones - Sylvester Williams - Jonathan Hankins - Tank Carradine
Devontre Holloman - Jon Bostic - Zaviar Gooden
Jamar Taylor - Blili Wreh-Wilson - DJ Hayden - Phillip Thomas - Jonathan Cyprien
Dustin Hopkins - Brad Wing

That team might even be able to challenge last year's KC win total...

I think a WR is an absolute must in this draft somewhere, at this very time. If we were to snag a FA like Brandon Lloyd, I would be okay without drafting a WR if the BPA was important positions like OLB, QB, CB, T. There are many non-WRs that I'd absolutely love if they were to unexpectedly fall: Lane Johnson, Kenny Vaccaro, Dion Jordan, Xavier Rhodes, Star Lotulelei. I'd prefer each of those players over any WR in the draft. Having said that, if none of those players fall, I'd rather reach a little for a WR like Hopkins, than risk missing him, Woods, Hunter and Patton before the #27 pick in the 2nd.
TexansFan23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone figure out how to do so well in this game? I've got up to 4500 and there are guys almost at 6000. Like, how is that possible?
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I've now dreamed on two separate occasions that the Texans will draft Rodney Smith out of Florida State in the 1st round. I have no idea how my brain is so focused on this guy -- I've never watched him play and have focused my draftable-wide-receiver-attention on other guys much more thoroughly. But I hear Roger Goodell say his name in my head and then Mel Kiper's bewildered fumbling as a career highlight reel rolls on the screen.

In the latest iteration, the Texans trade their 2nd round pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins and then draft Rod Smith. The nightmare was so bad that I had to wake myself up.

I'll be expecting to see Rodney Smith on your list in the predict the pick thread once Lork88 starts it. Honestly though your thinking about this stuff to much and need to take a step back and relax. Either that or go over to the Texans offices and get paid to do this stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 52 of 63

Jump to: