Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Ravens S Ed Reed to a 3 year, $15M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
After seeing that Huff signed with the Ravens for 3 years, $6MM, how do people feel about the signing of Reed? I think Huff has more left in the tank, but I think Reed at 70-80% of what he once was, is still better than Huff at the peak of his career. Injuries are a concern, though. If Reed hinders our ability to re-sign Watt or Cushing, then my entire perspective changes; however, I don't think it'll interfere much, and I have faith that Rick Smith took that into consideration before signing Reed.

I don't think Reed will have any effect on the re-signing of Watt or Cushing. As I understand it Reed signed a 3yr. 15 mil. contract, but only 5 of that is guaranteed. So Reed will have all of his guaranteed money after the first season or very close to it. While on the subject this might not be the most popular opinion around but I think the Texans need to be very careful re-signing Cushing. A good ILB can be found in the draft and with Cushings injury and PED history they need to be cautious.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
After seeing that Huff signed with the Ravens for 3 years, $6MM, how do people feel about the signing of Reed? I think Huff has more left in the tank, but I think Reed at 70-80% of what he once was, is still better than Huff at the peak of his career. Injuries are a concern, though. If Reed hinders our ability to re-sign Watt or Cushing, then my entire perspective changes; however, I don't think it'll interfere much, and I have faith that Rick Smith took that into consideration before signing Reed.

Only because I expect the FO to draft a stud S who needs a year of seasoning before being thrown to the wolves (Earl Wolff!) do I support the signing of Ed Reed over Huff. Also, Ed Reed does bring championship experience plus he has probably forgotten more football than most people (myself included) would ever know. For those reasons, the signing of Ed Reed makes much more sense than targeting a Huff (who has pretty good coverage abilities himself)
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Love it even more if these turn out to be the financials

My thoughts on breakdown:
3 years, $15M, $5M G ($6M in first season)
2013: $3M + $1M SB = $4M ($2M of base is fully guaranteed)
2014: $3.5M + $1M SB = $4.5M
2015: $4.5M + $1M SB + $1M roster bonus= $6.5M

Using these as sources:
Quote:
‏@AlbertBreer
Max value of Ed Reed's deal is about $15 million over three years ... And, again, around $6 million in Year 1.

Quote:
@McClain_on_NFL
Ed Reed is getting a 3 year deal worth $15 mil with $5 guaranteed.
2:41 PM - 22 Mar 13

Meh. I was off: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/ed-reed/

2013: $1M base + $1.333M SB + $1M roster bonus = $3.333M cap hit
2014: $4M base + $1.333 SB = $5.333M cap hit
2015: $5M base + $1.334 SB = $6.334M cap hit

$1M roster bonus looks to be sure he doesn't try to retire in the off-season Laughing
I do not think he sees the money in 2015 & 2014 remains subject to development of young stud safety the Texans draft this year or next year
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy for you all, I also called this right after SB, won me lunch at work..... Grats to you all.

Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-13 )
66.5% CMP - 2817 yards -20 TD's - 9 INT's - 92.1 Rat /RUSH 289 Yards 45 Atmts
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Love it even more if these turn out to be the financials

My thoughts on breakdown:
3 years, $15M, $5M G ($6M in first season)
2013: $3M + $1M SB = $4M ($2M of base is fully guaranteed)
2014: $3.5M + $1M SB = $4.5M
2015: $4.5M + $1M SB + $1M roster bonus= $6.5M

Using these as sources:
Quote:
‏@AlbertBreer
Max value of Ed Reed's deal is about $15 million over three years ... And, again, around $6 million in Year 1.

Quote:
@McClain_on_NFL
Ed Reed is getting a 3 year deal worth $15 mil with $5 guaranteed.
2:41 PM - 22 Mar 13

Meh. I was off: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/ed-reed/

2013: $1M base + $1.333M SB + $1M roster bonus = $3.333M cap hit
2014: $4M base + $1.333 SB = $5.333M cap hit
2015: $5M base + $1.334 SB = $6.334M cap hit

$1M roster bonus looks to be sure he doesn't try to retire in the off-season Laughing
I do not think he sees the money in 2015 & 2014 remains subject to development of young stud safety the Texans draft this year or next year

I actually would read that differently from the two perspectives.

Ed Reed: He got $5 million check a few weeks ago for committing to play for the Texans this year. He earns another $1 million in incentives through the season, payable in 2014. If he wants to play football next year, he gets another $4 million to bring 2014 paycheck to $5 million. If wants to play football in 2016 he get's another $5 million. He probably preferred to retire a Raven and get his own Ray Lewis-esque love-fest out the door, but their cap situation forced a "rebuild" and best combo of Super Bowl caliber & available cap $ was the Texans. He also potentially gets to put his stamp on a new team outside of Ray Ray's shadow and further cement first ballot HOF cred.

Texans: $3.3 million in cap value in 2013 for 9x Pro Bowler/Hall of Famer. If he's walks off a champion in this season, he retires in glory with only a $1.3 million cap hit left over from his signing bonus. If he looks to be degraded at 35, we thank him for his service and send him out with a minor $1.3 million cap hit from the remaining years of his bonus. We essentially have mutual options to continue in 2014 for an additional $5 million check from Bob. Repeat same scenario above and if he retires/pushed out we're only out $666k cap hit for 2015.

I look at it a bit like a defensive version of the Peyton Manning move last year, but with about $80 million less $ involved and on a player 3 years younger who played all 20 games last year vs. having multiple career threatening neck surgeries. As we sit here in 2013, Broncos are on hook for $42 million guaranteed for Peyton in 2013-2014, while we have only $5 million in Ed Reed who's ring is quite a bit fresher than Peyton's.

Aside from the comparison above, the Glover Quin tracking will be most interesting to follow, but the Lions essentially pay Glover Quin $6.2 million to play football next year, then two seasons at $4 million and 2 more at $5 million. Difference is the sliding scale of cap damage should he not deliver as cutting him in 2014 means a $4.2 million hit, 2015, $3.1 million and so on. The $ are essentially the same for both players 2013-2015, except the Texans have 1/3 the cap risk in 2014, 1/5 the cap risk in 2015 which is ideal flexibility. The upside for the Texans is ridiculous though as we have one of the best players to ever play the position providing leadership and a true safety net behind CBs prone to getting beaten deep. The Lions get a reliable steady performer especially in run support, but one who has no track record contributing game changing plays and a history of his coverage mirroring the quality of the rest of his secondary rather than elevating it.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I decided to put this here.

I stumbled upon this today and it's very lengthy and was only interested in the "what will the 2013 D look like" section

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/4/3/4179372/the-film-room-what-will-the-texans-defense-look-like-in-2013

I can dig with what this guy is saying.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
62 tot, 2 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

I stumbled upon this today and it's very lengthy and was only interested in the "what will the 2013 D look like" section

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/4/3/4179372/the-film-room-what-will-the-texans-defense-look-like-in-2013

They'll probably delete the link because I don't think we can link to any sort of blog -- even BRB. However, this was the best piece I've read on that site, ever. Everyone should head to BRB and read it. Unbelievably informative.
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the article is definitely great specially with all the screen caps. That being said, the argument he makes for using more nickel next year. Namely he says we no longer have the safety talent but in reality our 3rd safety is about as bad as last year. I think the draft will tell us if we go with nickel or dime. I'm also not completely sure we go with single high all the time as Ed Reed's range is not what it used to be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

They'll probably delete the link because I don't think we can link to any sort of blog -- even BRB. However, this was the best piece I've read on that site, ever. Everyone should head to BRB and read it. Unbelievably informative.

Blogs for the most part are ok. It's other message boards that take discussion away from FF. It doesn't look like the comment section there is substantial enough to be a problem and it does lead to discussion here, so it's fine.

#JDI
houstonX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL "Right here is why Bradie James should not have been a starter last season."
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Yeah the article is definitely great specially with all the screen caps. That being said, the argument he makes for using more nickel next year. Namely he says we no longer have the safety talent but in reality our 3rd safety is about as bad as last year. I think the draft will tell us if we go with nickel or dime. I'm also not completely sure we go with single high all the time as Ed Reed's range is not what it used to be.

It isn't, BUT I believe the coaching staff believes in KJax and JJoe enough on the outsides that Reed will be roaming between the numbers primarily.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

It isn't, BUT I believe the coaching staff believes in KJax and JJoe enough on the outsides that Reed will be roaming between the numbers primarily.

Right. AND I believe Reed is the kind of player that makes up for a deline in range with increased film study and anticipation. Depending on how the draft and the rest of FA shakes out he could be playing behind the scariest pass rush he's ever played with. I expect at least 6 or 7 interceptions, and then a few more in the playoffs!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Amazing article. Too much to digest in one reading so it's now printed for a certain place where I sit everyday around 9am.

This is the part that scares me though:
Quote:
What about against three wide sets? The Texans' defense in 2012 was very susceptible to spread offenses, mainly because of terrible safety play from Quintin Demps and Shiloh Keo in dime packages. If I was a betting man, and I am, I would say that Wade Phillips will use a lot less dime in 2013 and throw in some more nickel looks. There simply isn't the safety talent on the roster anymore to justify running a dime package when Phillips can just as easily put in a more pressure-oriented nickel package like the one below.

First off, it is a cop out to blame Demps & Keo. No, they are not very good, but if they were even in position to be blamed it means a) the front 7 didn't get enough pressure and b) a cornerback got beat first (generally McCain or Harris).

Second, since Quin pretty much moved down to man up any of the decent TEs in passing situations, FS#3 came off the bench and into a starting position (#2 safety in Cover2) leaving 1/2 the field vulnerable to deep ball (sorry BRB - the Texans gave up 29 passing TDs last year - only 5 teams gave up more) which doesn't support your theory about being able to trust our best CB tandem in man coverage. If the 2013 version just has Manning moving up to cover the TE and Reed back deep it means we have FS#3 playing as much but having to cover sideline to sideline. Sure seems to me a recipe for neutralizing the pass rush would be to just pick us apart with mid range routes behind the LBs.

Third, the critical failure of the analysis is just putting Brice McCain in there in man coverage on the slot and using the same assumptions applied in base coverage. I can buy JJoe as a man-man shut down CB when not hurt (but he's been hurt 6 of 7 pro seasons), Kareem is improved, but is PI prone and remains vulnerable deep, But Brice McCain is only effective in zone and has been exposed every stinking time we put him out there and expect him to man up anyone & Harris is too slow to hang with burners in the slot like Hilton or Harvin. Size will always be an issue with a 5' 8" CB playing man especially against teams with primary threats operating out of the slot. It was bad enough with New England last year but we could at least switch Quin, Kareem, or JJoe onto Welker and challenge them to beat you with Lloyd and whatever scrub was #2 Wr (Stallworth/Branch, etc). Of course they still did beat us with those, but switching McCain isn't even an option against a team like Denver this year as you aren't going to cover 6' 3" WR's Thomas or Decker with a 5' 8" corner and not have Peyton work that mismatch until McCain is back in his 2010 seat on the bench next to the kickoff tee guy. Harris hasn't shown he can hang with anyone past 10 yards so you'll have to just resolve to Ed Reed covering all those slot receivers that get sent deep against us which means asking our corners to cover the likes of Percy Harvin, Torrey Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, and plenty of others without help.

In summary, the BRB does a great job of focusing on all the mismatches our 5-2 creates up front, but the biggest mismatch on the field remains unaddressed which is practically every team on our schedule's #3, #4 WRs vs. Harris/McCain and/or Keo/Demps/Pleasant vs. a #1 or #2 that has beaten Joseph or Kareem. It's not exactly rocket science that when guys like Victor Cruz are looking for $10 million/season or teams like the Packers use 2nd round picks on #4 WRs like Cobb that having street free agents and 5th/6th rounders covering teams 3rd WRs is asking for trouble. Hell, we ought to be concerned that the Colts and Jags have already figured out this secondary and if Locker can stay upright against us it won't be long before Walter shows Britt/Wright how to find the weak links. We haven't even talked about what happens when the Colts start throwing to Fleener/Allen more as well or solving Gronk/Henandez.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last week, FS Ed Reed underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a small labral tear in his hip. He's expected to be ready for training camp.

--Mcclain

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:
Last week, FS Ed Reed underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a small labral tear in his hip. He's expected to be ready for training camp.

--Mcclain

He doesn't need to be at OTA's or mini-camps, it'll give DJ and Pleaseant more PT, which is what they need.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: