Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hokie Mock 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Hokie Mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Note: This mock assumes Andre Smith and Thomas Howard are re-signed.

1. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

I had him mocked to the Bengals in my last mock, but in the 2nd round. I have no idea if heíll make it to the Bengals 2nd round pick (37), but I donít want to risk it. I want Hunter that bad. I honestly think Hunter could be the missing link for this offense; heís essentially a poor manís version of AJ Green. Good size (6í4), speed (4.44 40), and has a strong work ethic. Explosive leaping ability. Put him on the other side of Green, with Sanu working the slot, and Dalton should have all the weapons heíd ever need. Green, Hunter, and Sanu could be the next Chad, Henry, and TJ. Hunter has a very high ceiling.

2A. Eric Reid, S, LSU

The Bengals are incredibly thin at safety. Luckily for them, this is one of the deepest safety classes in years. Iím very high on Elam and Reid with this pick (I also like Swearinger), but Reid wins out for me. Excellent size and very athletic safety who was inconsistent this past season. Matches up well against tight ends in coverage, is a hard hitter, and is a playmaker. As mentioned, was inconsistent as a Junior, but we all know Zimmer gets the most out of his guys. If he gets the most out of Reid, we have a Pro-Bowler. Performed very well at the combine. Would be okay if he was our 1st round pick.

2B. Sio Moore, WLB, Connecticut

This pick makes so much sense for the Bengals. Moore is excellent in coverage, and the Bengals desperately need a LB who excels in coverage. Moore competes with Thomas Howard for a starting job from day 1, and at worst, becomes a very effective nickel LB as a rookie (with long-term starter potential).

3. Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA

Would have liked Andre Ellington here, but donít see him making it to this pick. By all accounts, Franklin is a fierce competitor who is a good pass-catcher and decent pass-blocker. I donít think heís a bellcow who can tote it 300 times a season, but thatís not what weíre drafting him for. Weíre getting a great compliment to Green-Ellis. Doesnít have elite measurables, but is just a good football player.

4. David Quessenberry, OL/OG, San Jose St.

Not the most physically gifted offensive lineman in the draft, but was a three year starter at LT but may be a better fit to move inside. Has quick feet, is very competitive, and is durable. Needs to get stronger. A hard worker, and his work ethic will likely enable him to stick around in the league for a few years.

5. Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame

One of the more underrated players in the draft, IMO. Would have likely been a 2nd-3rd round pick (even if this deep safety class) has he not ruptured his Achilles last season (same injury as Leon Hall). Very intelligent and aggressive safety. Good in coverage and will lay the lumber when necessary. Plays with a wreckless abandon, which is a catch 22 (heightened injury risk). Could be an ideal fit for a nickel back. Will be drafted lower than he should due to coming off an injury. Could contribute on special teams early and would be an upgrade to Mays, Sands, Iloka, etc., IMO. Speaking of which, is Sands even still on the roster?

6A. T.J. Johnson, OC/OG, South Carolina

Three year starter at center for the Gamecocks. Has great size (6'4, 310) and is strong (led all centers with 32 reps at Combine). Is a mauler, but has slow feet. Bengals could use some O-Line depth on the interior.

6B. Brandon McGee, CB, Miami

McGee is a guy who underachieved in college but looks the part of a solid NFL player. Very fast, but he plays a bit soft and his technique needs work. I think he could push for a spot on the team as a rookie, and could have an impact on special teams. Has the talent to be drafted much higher, and I wouldnít be surprised if he goes higher than the 6th round. High ceiling, low floor type of guy.

7A. Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central

Finished with a school record 26 1/2 sacks. Has very long arms and shows some potential as a pass rusher. Very raw. May be a better fit as a rush backer in a 3-4. A good practice squad candidate who could use a year or two of development.

7B. Michael Ford, RB, LSU

A very athletic RB who has good speed and had a good Combine. A physically gifted athlete. Not great in pass protection or in passing game in general. Has return ability, and has enough speed to turn the corner. A guy who could have a better pro career than college career.

There you have it. Rip her apart!

Last edited by Hokie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie Mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

2A. Eric Reid, S, LSU

Love the mock 'Hokie', especially Eric Reid for us, but I'm afraid its looking more and more like DJ Fluker @ #21 with every day that passes.
ark23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Andre Smith is resigned I love this mock. Hunter to me is an early second rounder because of his hands, which are suspect at best, injury questions, little slow in and out of breaks and not polished as a route runner. But he's a dynamic athlete with an explosive lower body, great straight line speed and an incredible catch radius. He actually plays with a similar style to AJ. With that said I don't think it's likely he's a Bengal, Marvin was asked about the WR group and seemed very happy with Sanu and Jones. Maybe a fifth/sixth round WR is in the cards, but not higher if you ask me. With that said I'd like the pick.

Not a fan of Reid but I think he's a likely pick. Too stiff, straight lineish athlete who I don't think is very comfortable in space. Still that's really the only pick I don't like - and I can't say it won't happen because I think it's very possible.

Moore and Franklin are great picks, both three down players who I really like. Quessenberry is a nice swing tackle who can play multiple positions, if Andre is back I don't think we even have to go OL higher than that pick.

TJ Johnson is under the radar as a center, always impressed me - I think he goes higher than people think, good depth pick. I actually don't see why we need to go CB (loaded at that position) but McGee is a really good athlete who can play nickel or outside corner and that late isn't a bad value. Slaughter is an interesting name. I don't think he even wanted to come out; tried to get a sixth year at ND. Bryant is a long end, fits the mold for the Bengals. Ford would be cut if you ask me, but he's got good speed/wiggle. No harm in the seventh.

Nice draft of you ask me.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think our first round pick has to be one of the following:

RT, S, LB

I honestly could see the Bengals not drafting a RT, and falling back on Anthony Collins and Travelle Wharton to play that position if Andre doesnt come back.

I think LB or S are locks at 21, with LB probably being the more likely pick due to the depth of the S class.

In the 2nd, I would love to see us nab DJ Swearinger. I wouldnt even be upset if they went LB again with Sio Moore like you have.

I think in the 3rd round is where we see us nab a RB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
If Andre Smith is resigned I love this mock. Hunter to me is an early second rounder because of his hands, which are suspect at best, injury questions, little slow in and out of breaks and not polished as a route runner. But he's a dynamic athlete with an explosive lower body, great straight line speed and an incredible catch radius. He actually plays with a similar style to AJ. With that said I don't think it's likely he's a Bengal, Marvin was asked about the WR group and seemed very happy with Sanu and Jones. Maybe a fifth/sixth round WR is in the cards, but not higher if you ask me. With that said I'd like the pick.

Not a fan of Reid but I think he's a likely pick. Too stiff, straight lineish athlete who I don't think is very comfortable in space. Still that's really the only pick I don't like - and I can't say it won't happen because I think it's very possible.

Moore and Franklin are great picks, both three down players who I really like. Quessenberry is a nice swing tackle who can play multiple positions, if Andre is back I don't think we even have to go OL higher than that pick.

TJ Johnson is under the radar as a center, always impressed me - I think he goes higher than people think, good depth pick. I actually don't see why we need to go CB (loaded at that position) but McGee is a really good athlete who can play nickel or outside corner and that late isn't a bad value. Slaughter is an interesting name. I don't think he even wanted to come out; tried to get a sixth year at ND. Bryant is a long end, fits the mold for the Bengals. Ford would be cut if you ask me, but he's got good speed/wiggle. No harm in the seventh.

Nice draft of you ask me.

Thanks for the feedback, ark.

Hunter is one of my favorite prospects in this draft, and I think he's actually a poor man's version of Green. His athletic ability is off the charts. As you said, he's not polished in his routes and his hands are smallish, but I don't think the Bengals need a possession-type guy. They have that in Sanu. I think we need an explosive playmaker and I believe Hunter is the best at that in this draft (along with Patterson, who I think is a close 2nd). Unfortunately I think you're right though, as Marv seems to really like the guys we already have. WR in the 1st seems unlikely, but I can see a Quinton Patton or Da'Rick Rogers (who I really like) in the 3rd.

I'm probably higher on Reid than most. I'm torn on who I like more between Elam and Reid; it's very close. I think Elam is a better football player, Reid the better athlete. I'd be happy with either. Swearinger could be a good fit with our 2nd 2nd rounder, but he's more of a in-the-box type to me. Elam may be the best fit, as he's better in coverage in spite of his size. I just think that if Reid is coached up he could develop into an absolute stud. A riskier pick, but with more upside, IMO.

That's why I had McGee where I did. CB is far from a need but I think the value would be too good in the 6th. Very good athlete who frankly needs to be motivated and coached up.

You're right about Slaughter. He wanted to come back for his 6th year but was denied (and I'm not sure why; he was clearly a candidate for a medical redshirt). He's going to be an outstanding value pick for whoever ends up with him, IMO (he may actually go undrafted). I watched him for years at ND and his instincts are off the charts and he's such an aggressive player. As I said, I think he'd be the 3rd best safety on the team immediately behind Nelson and whoever they draft early. Oh well, probably won't happen. I think he's going to thrive in the NFL as a swing safety/nickel back. Many ND fans think he was better than Harrison Smith at ND.

Again, appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by Hokie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to go WR at 21 i'd much rather have DeAndre Hopkins. I think he fits our offense better. I don't think we go WR early to be honest. Unless we really make a push to put as many weapons around Dalton as possible to see if he can truly be our franchise QB. His contract extension is coming up next season.

On the other hand, if we go WR later, maybe AJ recommends his former teammate, Tavarres King.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
i think our first round pick has to be one of the following:

RT, S, LB

I honestly could see the Bengals not drafting a RT, and falling back on Anthony Collins and Travelle Wharton to play that position if Andre doesnt come back.

I think LB or S are locks at 21, with LB probably being the more likely pick due to the depth of the S class.

In the 2nd, I would love to see us nab DJ Swearinger. I wouldnt even be upset if they went LB again with Sio Moore like you have.

I think in the 3rd round is where we see us nab a RB

Collins is the obvious answer at RT, but the push in the run game suffers with AC.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hokie Mock 2.0 Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Hokie wrote:

2A. Eric Reid, S, LSU

Love the mock 'Hokie', especially Eric Reid for us, but I'm afraid its looking more and more like DJ Fluker @ #21 with every day that passes.

Really? What teams has Andre visited recently?
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Andre is unsigned on draft day and the Bengals don't use a high pick on a RT, whose leverage increases? Probably the team's since other teams that were in the market for a RT will fill their needs in the draft. I expect guys like Eric Winston, Max Starks, and Bryant McKinnie to sign somewhere before the draft so they have a job this fall.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more DB heavy than I would like, but other than that i'd be happy. We have young corners in Dre, Prater, and Ghee who haven't had a shot yet, and Miles is a special teams staple, not to mention Sands or Iloka competing for a spot.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie Mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
Hokie wrote:

2A. Eric Reid, S, LSU

Really? What teams has Andre visited recently?

None, as far as we know, but; assuming The Bengals have made a reasonable offer; (around $6M pa); which Smith has not accepted; (wanting $9M); I personally don't think Mike Brown will up his offer, and Smith is willing to wait until maybe beyond the draft to see which team gets desperate for a RT.

Every day that passes with no deal makes DJ Fluker more likely for us @ #21 IMO.

I suspect the only visit Andre has made this off-season has been to 'Burger king'.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liove the first three rounds with Hunter, Moore, Reid (or Elam) and franklin. I could see adding another CB like Matheiu if he were still around in nthe fourth, but not two more. My personal target would be Bray, but with the pickup of Skelton, I doubt it happens. The o-line pickups are a must.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: