Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno, anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Geno, anyone? Reply with quote

This is not a trolling aspect. In the past week we've seen every possible Geno Smith suitor posture themselves as disinterested. Who's lying?

Is it the Chiefs? The Eagles? None of the top nine teams have set themselves at QB for the future beyond a band-aid. Yet, they've all postured themselves so as not to be held hostage. Somebody wants Geno.

Who's lying?
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I would consider it lying. I think there has been a lot of posturing, while also realizing Geno may need a little bit to learn and adapt some of his game.

I think teams made these moves for two reasons, had they not, they would be left either taking a lesser option, in a lesser market (as in another QB at an even higher reach). Or, so that they may not be forced to give up as much to make a move. Being able to say, well we made a move and can wait until next year if we need to might go a long way at the bargaining table this year.

I think we will still be able to move our pick, I'm just not sure what the compensation will be. I think dreaming of next year's first in addition to a couple of picks this year, unless we're dropping all the way out of the top ten is silly. I think a 1st and second this year, a conditional mid-early round pick next year would be great compensation to slide back to say AZ at 7.

I'll just toss out this wildcard. A team like AZ, who desperately needs a LT to protect the aging QB they just hooked up with could also move up to be assured of getting one of the top two LT prospects. The Eagles are another team who could look to move up if the price was right for a number of players.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I don't know if I would consider it lying. I think there has been a lot of posturing, while also realizing Geno may need a little bit to learn and adapt some of his game.

I think teams made these moves for two reasons, had they not, they would be left either taking a lesser option, in a lesser market (as in another QB at an even higher reach). Or, so that they may not be forced to give up as much to make a move. Being able to say, well we made a move and can wait until next year if we need to might go a long way at the bargaining table this year.

I think we will still be able to move our pick, I'm just not sure what the compensation will be. I think dreaming of next year's first in addition to a couple of picks this year, unless we're dropping all the way out of the top ten is silly. I think a 1st and second this year, a conditional mid-early round pick next year would be great compensation to slide back to say AZ at 7.

I'll just toss out this wildcard. A team like AZ, who desperately needs a LT to protect the aging QB they just hooked up with could also move up to be assured of getting one of the top two LT prospects. The Eagles are another team who could look to move up if the price was right for a number of players.

I just can’t see AZ, who has an equal need at OLB, amongst other positions of dire need, going overboard to trade up.

Very quietly, Kyle Long and Terron Armstead have positioned themselves at R1.20-R2.15. This is a very viable alternative to teams like AZ, who need an LT, and a whole lot more. They cd go another route in R1 than the obvious.

I don’t see them in trouble. I think Eric Fisher is there. If not, Lane Johnson for sure. I can’t imagine a scenario by which one of the big 2.5 LT is not available to them at R1.07.

I confess to looking at this process too “mathematically”, disregarding the human element of “falling in love” with a prospect. One team doing so changes the entire landscape. And there’s always a team who throws the monkey wrench into “conventional” thinking. Logic doesn’t always explain the facts, even if the facts “should” be defined “logically”.

Let’s hope there is still one who is willing to do so with Geno Smith.
valkrei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There always can be a quarterback," he said. "We're gonna take the best player. I stand by that. And what I use as an example is that we were lucky enough to get Aaron Rodgers (in Green Bay). We were questioned about that, but we stood patiently for three years with him. We can stand patiently another three if we have to. At the end of the day, you want to do what's best for your organization, present and future. And if it happens to be the quarterback, we'll take the quarterback."

post is on arrowhead pride, this was our GM speaking. Geno could still happen.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
"There always can be a quarterback," he said. "We're gonna take the best player. I stand by that. And what I use as an example is that we were lucky enough to get Aaron Rodgers (in Green Bay). We were questioned about that, but we stood patiently for three years with him. We can stand patiently another three if we have to. At the end of the day, you want to do what's best for your organization, present and future. And if it happens to be the quarterback, we'll take the quarterback."

With the new CBA and more importantly the new rookie salary slotting/contract parameters it would hard to justify sitting Geno Smith and then be required to either let his rookie deal void or pay him the equivalent of the top X number of quarterbacks in the league (not sure if it is the top 10 quarterbacks or not - KC Guy would know).

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bpinsky33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
valkrei wrote:

With the new CBA and more importantly the new rookie salary slotting/contract parameters it would hard to justify sitting Geno Smith and then be required to either let his rookie deal void or pay him the equivalent of the top X number of quarterbacks in the league (not sure if it is the top 10 quarterbacks or not - KC Guy would know).

With the rookie wage scale we can sign Geno to a 5 year deal. Say we start Alex Smith for 2 years and let Geno start in year 3, he would have 3 years to show he deserves a bigger 2nd contract. The new rookie deal actually makes it easier to sit 1st round QBs because the money isn't tied up with them.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for this quarterback class? Mayock is not impressed.

"I couldn't take Geno Smith in the top 10, probably (not) the top 20," he said. "I can't stand this whole quarterback class."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156971/article/mike-mayock-defends-analyst-on-geno-smith-report

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we trade down and get an extra 2nd rounder, and Geno falls to the bottom of the 1st, I'd jump all over trading up for him.
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes just saying its possible if he goes bpa it cant be geno
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see any way Geno gets out of the top ten. There is too little talent and too many teams that need a QB.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any need for Geno Smith. We already have our QBOTPASTF and our QBOTFAASUHOVHC. We should be set at the position for the next 5 years minimum.

Laughing
QBOTPASTF = Quarterback Of The Present And Short Term Future (Alex Smith)

QBOTFAASUHOVHC = Quarterback Of The Future After Alex Smith Unless He Outperforms And Voids His Contract (Chase Daniel)

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, here is an abbreviation for you - YMHTMTOYH

You May Have Too Much Time On Your Hands
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve waffled so much on this subject, I should change my ID from Mongo to Eggo. I’ve allowed myself to commit the cardinal sin – believing anything any team says. My hope for a trade down has been rekindled.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
I’ve waffled so much on this subject, I should change my ID from Mongo to Eggo. I’ve allowed myself to commit the cardinal sin – believing anything any team says. My hope for a trade down has been rekindled.

So you are saying.....ummm....you have changed your opinion??!! LOL

Wink

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Nic, here is an abbreviation for you - YMHTMTOYH

You May Have Too Much Time On Your Hands

On second thought DT, you are right. Peace out bro!

Silenced

Enjoy!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: