Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tyrann Mathieu, would you draft him at the end of the 4th?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you are the GM of the Lions, would you take Tyrann Mathieu at the end of the 4th round?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

CosaNostra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Tyrann Mathieu, would you draft him at the end of the 4th? Reply with quote

I don't think Mayhew is going to take Mathieu with the third round pick, but we received a 4th round compensatory pick for this years draft.

Before free agency, Mayhew said the defense was lacking playmakers and he was looking to add some during the offseason this year. Anybody who watched Tyrann Mathieu during his college days cannot deny he has made incredible plays on defense and during punt returns. We need secondary help, a KR/PR and a playmaker on defense and I feel like Tyrann Mathieu can help fill these holes.

What do other Lions fans think? Take him at the end of the 4th round if he is there? It seems like a low risk/extremely high reward.

I have heard some knocks on him like being too short, or his off the field trouble but we passed on Janoris Jenkins last year because we couldn't risk a first rounder. This is a 4th rounder we're talking about here.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyrann Mathieu, would you draft him at the end of the 4t Reply with quote

CosaNostra wrote:
I don't think Mayhew is going to take Mathieu with the third round pick, but we received a 4th round compensatory pick for this years draft.

Before free agency, Mayhew said the defense was lacking playmakers and he was looking to add some during the offseason this year. Anybody who watched Tyrann Mathieu during his college days cannot deny he has made incredible plays on defense and during punt returns. We need secondary help, a KR/PR and a playmaker on defense and I feel like Tyrann Mathieu can help fill these holes.

What do other Lions fans think? Take him at the end of the 4th round if he is there? It seems like a low risk/extremely high reward.

I have heard some knocks on him like being too short, or his off the field trouble but we passed on Janoris Jenkins last year because we couldn't risk a first rounder. This is a 4th rounder we're talking about here.
I'd think about it, but he is definitely a high risk/high reward player, not a low risk player. And he isn't anything like Janoris Jenkins. Mathieu made big plays in college, but also showed poor coverage skills. He is at best a nickel corner and cannot cover outside, where Jenkins is/was a top 10 talent that definitely can cover all WR's, inside and out. I would consider drafting him there, but I'd probably go for a more consistent player who still has upside.

R.I.P. Stylish
CosaNostra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyrann Mathieu, would you draft him at the end of the 4t Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
CosaNostra wrote:

I'd think about it, but he is definitely a high risk/high reward player, not a low risk player. And he isn't anything like Janoris Jenkins. Mathieu made big plays in college, but also showed poor coverage skills. He is at best a nickel corner and cannot cover outside, where Jenkins is/was a top 10 talent that definitely can cover all WR's, inside and out. I would consider drafting him there, but I'd probably go for a more consistent player who still has upside.

The only reason I say he is a low risk player is because of where he would be picked, late in the 4th. If things don't work out or his abilities don't translate into the NFL he can always be cut. I honestly have never seen a secondary player cause fumbles like he can. Add in his PR skills and I think we definitely shouldn't pass on him late in the 4th. He would come in as our 4th CB on the depth chart this year and hopefully move into the slot next year if he learns the game.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would draft him in the 4th. I think he would at minimum make an impact as a PR/Gunner...plus he can cover Megatron so we have to ensure no one else drafts him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would draft him in the 3rd. He's going to be a good CB
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Wouldn't take him in round 7 or eve as UDFA.

This kid is worse than Titus Young. Drafting a headcase after cutting one sends mixed message

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket wrote:

Honestly, earlier in the offseason I was saying the same thing but now that I see him slipping into the 5th round range I think 4th round is good.
CosaNostra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
No. Wouldn't take him in round 7 or eve as UDFA.

This kid is worse than Titus Young. Drafting a headcase after cutting one sends mixed message

Can't deny that he has one of the worst off field behaviors but the kid has talent. Coaches like Belicheck, Coughlin, Jim Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin could handle him but I don't think Jim Schwartz can. One of the biggest issues the Lions have is not having that "Ray Lewis" type presence in the locker room to smack some sense into players with off the field issues.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want anything to do with him. I wouldn't draft him at all.
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket wrote:

I would too. I just have that feeling he's a baller. We need playmakers that bring energy and make and plays..he is. I'd rather him then Jonte Green at Nickel..and he can PR/KR. I'd take ihm in 3 or 4 and Greg Reid with one of our 7th rounders. Let them fight to stay on team and battle for PR spot... Both were best in country before getting kicked out.
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

We haven't had the best luck with those risky players. You can take someone safer to return kicks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every player who has off the field incidents are "head cases." These are young people in college, they will make mistakes. Heck, they are expected to make mistakes. Just because their lives are more public doesn't make them exempt from such life lessons.

Granted, some of these players do have real issues. There is a time though when constantly passing over a player do to past issues becomes a hinderance to the organization. People aren't saints, so avoiding most players with an issue in the past isn't always a viable option.

Have faith that the player will mature and be mentored by the older players on the team. The biggest issue with these individuals is that they are given a substantial amount of money at such a young age; which is an entirely different issue. I voted yes.

I'm sure many people here have made past mistakes they don't wish to be condemned for today.
1King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
rocket wrote:

I would too. I just have that feeling he's a baller. We need playmakers that bring energy and make and plays..he is. I'd rather him then Jonte Green at Nickel..and he can PR/KR. I'd take ihm in 3 or 4 and Greg Reid with one of our 7th rounders. Let them fight to stay on team and battle for PR spot... Both were best in country before getting kicked out.

Greg Reid was"best in country" as what? Certainly not at CB. Though I dont want to take a chance on Reid, I'd rather take a risk on him in the 7th or as an UDFA to be a PR than Honey Badger in the 3rd or 4th or anywhere.

You want to take two guys as solely PR in the draft?

As for Honey Badger, I am on the absolutely not bandwagon.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
1King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight_Schrute wrote:
Not every player who has off the field incidents are "head cases." These are young people in college, they will make mistakes. Heck, they are expected to make mistakes. Just because their lives are more public doesn't make them exempt from such life lessons.

Granted, some of these players do have real issues. There is a time though when constantly passing over a player do to past issues becomes a hinderance to the organization. People aren't saints, so avoiding most players with an issue in the past isn't always a viable option.

Have faith that the player will mature and be mentored by the older players on the team. The biggest issue with these individuals is that they are given a substantial amount of money at such a young age; which is an entirely different issue. I voted yes.

I'm sure many people here have made past mistakes they don't wish to be condemned for today.

And not all off-field issues are "simply mistakes" and a case of "young people making mistakes" and when talking about the draft where there are a bunch of young, talented people, you sort them out, in part, due to various factors, including kids who dont have issues or who dont have mistakes.

Your post doesnt fit the Honey Badger situation at all, he didn't have one issue or as you put it one mistake, he has admitted to having problems (that he is trying to address), but it isn't one isolated event and it isn't one kid making a mistake.

Actions (including) mistakes have consequences, no one that I have seen is condemning him, but that doesnt mean they want the Lions to take the risk on him.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multiple issues is definitely concerning. There is a large difference between making a mistake (cam newton stealing a lap top) and continuous issues (charles rogers). The difference lies in how the person approaches their problem. Generally speaking, the fact that hes admitted to having a problem and has been clean for a bit is definitely a good sign. However, things are going decent for him right now. Hes hearing draft grades as high as round 2, his workouts have gone well, teams are showing interest etc. What happens if he gets in the league and gets hurt his first year? Underperforms? Those are the times it would be most concerning.

That being said, a 4th rounder is absolutely worth it. I would even consider the 3rd. Sure he wont be a #1 CB but he could be a very good nickel. Which in todays day and age is essentially a 3rd starter. I think he would excel working in tight quarters and on smaller receivers. To get a nickel CB you can hold on to in the 3rd or 4th round is definitely worth it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: