Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Robert Ayers: Spotlight on a Spot Start
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hibdib31

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Robert Ayers: Spotlight on a Spot Start Reply with quote

Robert Ayers: Spotlight on a Spot Start

In week 10 Denver faced off against Carolina in Charlotte. Roberts Ayers was in his usual role of rotational defensive lineman/backup right end until Elvis Dumervil injured his shoulder in the first quarter and was sidelined for the remainder of the game. Ayers was thrusted into the starting lineup at RE and finished the day with a 5 tackle (3 solo, 2 asst.), 1 sack performance. Ayers also was credited for disrupting 2 passes by hitting the quarterback.

Pro Football Focus had Ayers as one of Denver's top three performers of the game:
Quote:
Robert Ayers has been relegated to a backup after three unremarkable seasons since being selected 18th overall in 2009. When Elvis Dumervil went down early in the game with a shoulder injury, though, it was Ayers who stepped up. Ayers played 49 snaps — his highest total of the season — and came away with a sack, three hits, and two hurries. Ayers’ six total pressures were the most of his career and, unsurprisingly, he finished with the best pass rush grade of his career as well (+3.1). For a player who appeared to be on his way toward the ‘bust’ tag, his play was a pleasant surprise and gives Broncos fans hope if Dumervil has to miss any time.

I decided to go back and watch this game after Elway announced recently that the team is very comfortable with Robert Ayers and that he is the starting right end as of this time. I cataloged each snap Ayers saw that day and bolded the impact plays. I provided a GIF of a few plays as well.

1st Quarter
[8:03] Ayers in at RE, run up the middle to the right, TE tries to cut Ayers, whiffs, Ayers runs down the line to get tackle the RB from behind <Assisted Tackle>
[7:26] Ayers stunts with Baannan into the line to battle with the RG, C, LG
[4:14] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, Ayers engages LT and is stood up with help from a chip by the TE lined up in the backfield
[1:32] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, swims LT (who is going downfield to block) and attempts to bat down the screen pass -- may have forced to QB to overthrow/throw away?
[1:29] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, line blocks down as RB takes the fake away, QB read Ayers crashing down and takes the option to keep and run to the vacated area, Ayers bit hard
*Note: Elvis comes back in an gets a strip sack and injures his shoulder - out for game

2nd Quarter
[14:40] Ayers at RE, run to the right, stands LT up and watches the tackle for no gain
[14:00] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, drives the LT back into QB as he throws deep right
[13:54] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, drives LT back into QB and uses his hands well to put the pressure on -- good coverage downfield/long developing routes allowed the 5 rushers to collapse the pocket as a whole
[10:06] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, Ayers blocked by TE as end-around is run the opposite way
[9:36] Ayers standing up at RE, QB in shotgun, stunts with Wolfe and drops to chase run to the right, engages LG and swims aside as tackle is made for no gain
[8:55] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, runs wide outside the RT whose pushes him upright, Ayers tries to dip the RT but is downfield of the QB at this point as he passes deep right
[8:22] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, engages LT, TE comes to the outside and attempts chip, Ayers spins inside off the block to pressure the QB, QB checks down to TE -- Wolfe bull rushed the LG back 11 yards into the QB's face
[1:57] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers runs wide and attempts a dip, but is pushed narrowly beyond the QB
[1:31] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes hard into LT; LG, C, RG release for RB screen, beating the pressure
[1:04] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers attempts inside swim on LT, but QB throws quick pass to the right
[1:00] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes outside LT, hops to avoid a chip by the RB, spins back outside beating the LT, hits the QB forcing and incomplete pass

[0:54] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers stunts inside and engages C, looks like Ayers' feet get tangled as he falls down while the QB scrambles up the middle to the right

3rd Quarter
[13:43] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers is left unblocked as the QB reads Ayers waiting and gives the RB a run up the middle to the right, Ayers works down the line through the crowd to tackle the RB from behind <Assisted Tackle>
[13:11] Ayers at RE, run up the middle to the right, Ayers beats a double team by the TE, LT to work inside and with a free arm bring down the RB for a 2 yards gain <Solo Tackle>

[12:35] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers stunts inside and trips over his own feet falling to the ground
[10:12] Ayers at RE, Ayers rushes wide on LT gets stood up as RB comes to help, QB bootlegs to the right, Ayers throws RB to ground as Miller chases QB and forces pick-6
[9:52] Ayers at RE, quickly beats LT with an inside swim move, draws an offensive holding penalty on LT (bad call) and forces QB to dump off to screen play
[9:13] Ayers at RE, draw play up the middle, Ayers engages LT, stands up and tries to read the play, watches Miller tackles RB for 5 yard loss
[8:28] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers pushes inside as Vickerson stunts behind, QB quickly passes
[7:37] Ayers standing up at RE, rushes wide on LT and slaps his way easily by, getting to the QB forcing an incomplete pass (close to a fumble)

[7:32] Ayers at RE, stunts inside and follows play as QB is run out of bounds to the left
*Note: Malik Jackson comes in for a few plays and looks powerful against the LT with bull rushes
[6:27] Ayers at RE, drops into coverage in a shallow zone as blitz gets to QB for a sack
[3:28] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, QB run up the middle to the left, Ayers is left unblocked and is in position to make a tackle for a loss, if only Miller wasn't untouchable making the tackle for a 4 yard loss instantly from the backside

4th Quarter
[14:16] Ayers at RE, run up the middle, Ayers moves upfield then bull rushes into LT toward ball and in good position to make a tackle for loss, AGAIN if only Miller wasn't untouchable making the tackle and forcing a fumble nearly instantly, Ayers is credited with the "tackle" as he is on top of the LT recovering the fumble <Solo Tackle>
[13:40] Ayers at RE, stands up and stays in shallow zone, spying on QB as he rolls right and is pressured by the blitz and throws the ball away
[13:35] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes upfield engaging the RT with a bull rush, Ayers rips upfield beating the RT before the RG can slide to help, Ayers hits the QB as he throws forcing an incomplete pass

[12:25] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers engages LT with a bull rush, pushing the pocket to the QB as he throws to the left – would have liked to have seen Ayers attempt to bat ball down as he wasn’t getting to the QB and the pass went overhead
[11:58] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers attempts inside moves and flows to the RB receiving the screen pass to the right
[11:19] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers engages LG, rips past to the right sacking the QB for a 12 yard loss nearly a safety <Sack>

[10:39] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers drops into shallow zone as blitz gets to QB for a safety
[7:30] Ayers at RE, engages LT with bull rush as QB throws to the right
[7:15] Ayers at RE, stands up unblocked, QB hands off option to RB for a run up the middle
[6:54] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers stunts far inside engaging the RG as the QB throws downfield
[6:27] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes upfield attempting a swim but is met by the FB attempting a chip block, the QB throws short left
[6:10] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes upfield and QB hands option off to the RB up the middle to the right
[5:27] Ayers standing up at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers fights blocks by the TE and LT as the QB gets the pass off to the left
[5:20] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, Ayers gets by RT with an outside rush but is held around the neck as the QB throws the ball away (uncalled)
[5:14] Ayers at LE, QB in shotgun, Ayers beats RT with outside move/hand slap and gets to QB as the throw is completed short for a TD
[3:23] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers uses an inside move but ends up in a crowd as the QB throws a screen pass to the RB on the left
[3:15] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers drops into shallow zone as QB is hit low and throws the ball out of bounds
[3:10] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes upfield into LT and is met with a chip attempt by the RB as the QB passes short right
[2:49] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers stands up as RB takes carry up the middle to the left
[2:28] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers rushes outside on LT using a stiff arm to get by, as the LT pushes Ayers past the QB, Ayers clubs the QB's throwing arm but the QB has a strong grip surviving the blow to throw downfield. Ayers should have has a strip sack.
[2:20] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers attempts an inside swim on the LT but runs into a crows and spins back to his right as the QB rolls away and passes short right
[2:00] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers jumps offside at a hard count drawing a neutral zone infraction, 5 yard penalty
[2:00] Ayers at RE, QB in shotgun, Ayers drives the LT with a bull rush pushing the pocket into the QB's face as he overthrows a WR downfield for an interception

Final Thoughts
All in all, I think Ayers played well in the starting defensive end role. He displayed a number of pass rush moves, both inside and out, and was an effective run defender. Defending the read-option was an obvious part of the gameplan for the defensive ends, and outside of the first misread, Ayers defended it well. I would still be on board with drafting a pass rusher early this year for injury insurance to Ayers or Miller, but I side with the front office in the vote of confidence for Robert Ayers this year. I'm looking forward to Robert taking this promotion as motivation and elevating his game in this final year of his rookie contract.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a phenomenal write-up! Excellent job man, I'm blown away.

Ayers is a guy I like, and have been a fan of since we drafted him. His run stopping skills speak for themselves. He's a good run defender, IMO. I think his pass rush can be inconsistent. He has games like the Carolina game where he looks every bit like the first round pick he was, and then he has other games where he looks overmatched and can't put pressure on. I'd like to think he will rise to the occasion, but drafting someone to push him is a fine idea and one I hope we go with.

Thanks, Tzimisce
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Robert Ayers: Spotlight on a Spot Start Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
Final Thoughts
All in all, I think Ayers played well in the starting defensive end role. He displayed a number of pass rush moves, both inside and out, and was an effective run defender. Defending the read-option was an obvious part of the gameplan for the defensive ends, and outside of the first misread, Ayers defended it well. I would still be on board with drafting a pass rusher early this year for injury insurance to Ayers or Miller, but I side with the front office in the vote of confidence for Robert Ayers this year. I'm looking forward to Robert taking this promotion as motivation and elevating his game in this final year of his rookie contract.

Great write-up.

I think Ayers has played in roles that didn't have him be an attacking DE. He's played mainly as a reacting defender but the game you analyzed showed he could produce if he was given the freedom to attack.

Typically, the right DE is the faster DE but the Broncos are unusual because Von Miller can play the speedster DE role on the left side.

My guess is that the team won't draft a DE in the first round but maybe one will be drafted in the middle rounds.

We can't forget Beal. In college he racked up a lot of sacks. Although he is currently listed as a backup LDE, he might be moved over.
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props on the post! Would love to see more of these in the future. Excellent work.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Von Miller was a linebacker?
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to stop with Jeremy Beal. A SB contender doesn't start PS fodder who has never played a meaningful snap because he was good three years ago. I'm sorry.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know those were only a few plays, but that is exactly how Robert Ayers looked the entire week at the senior bowl in '09. No one on either roster could block him OT's and interior OL's. He beat everyone in a variety of ways. That is why i don't fault McDaniels for drafting him where he did. When Ayers has it going he can be one hell of a player.
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
We need to stop with Jeremy Beal. A SB contender doesn't start PS fodder who has never played a meaningful snap because he was good three years ago. I'm sorry.
You need to stop with this SB contender garabage. All super bowl teams have role players that contribute to the team's success. If camp is over and Beal is one of the 53 best then so be it. I tend to agree with other posters. We shouldn't forget about Beal. He showed some serious signs of progress in camp last year. It is not so far-fetched to think that Beal could make the final roster.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
You need to stop with this SB contender garabage. All super bowl teams have role players that contribute to the team's success. If camp is over and Beal is one of the 53 best then so be it. I tend to agree with other posters. We shouldn't forget about Beal. He showed some serious signs of progress in camp last year. It is not so far-fetched to think that Beal could make the final roster.

Name a SB contender who has a DE that was drafted in the 7th round, has lived on the PS for his entire time in the league, and is now going to become the starting DE. I'll wait.

Yes, he can make the team, but he's shown nothing in all his time here, and I don't care that he looked good against 3rd stringers in preseason. I can promise he won't do anything against 1st stringers on good teams. I see way too many fans excited about these late round picks and expecting them to blow up for no reason other than that they are on the Broncos. If Beal can blow up, fine, but I won't hold my breath and I certainly wouldn't advocate Denver banking on him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Name a SB contender who has a DE that was drafted in the 7th round, has lived on the PS for his entire time in the league, and is now going to become the starting DE. I'll wait.

Yes, he can make the team, but he's shown nothing in all his time here, and I don't care that he looked good against 3rd stringers in preseason. I can promise he won't do anything against 1st stringers on good teams. I see way too many fans excited about these late round picks and expecting them to blow up for no reason other than that they are on the Broncos. If Beal can blow up, fine, but I won't hold my breath and I certainly wouldn't advocate Denver banking on him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be a starter or "blow up" as you say it. Mere mention of his name and you act like people are annointing him as the second coming.

I actually like rooting for sleeper prospect type players. The ones who carve a niche in the NFL and earn their place the hard way. They are the backbone of any good NFL roster. Not many of them go on to be great players, but some do and I like rooting for those who do.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Robert Ayers: Spotlight on a Spot Start Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:
Final Thoughts

Great write-up.

I think Ayers has played in roles that didn't have him be an attacking DE. He's played mainly as a reacting defender but the game you analyzed showed he could produce if he was given the freedom to attack.

Typically, the right DE is the faster DE but the Broncos are unusual because Von Miller can play the speedster DE role on the left side.

My guess is that the team won't draft a DE in the first round but maybe one will be drafted in the middle rounds.

We can't forget Beal. In college he racked up a lot of sacks. Although he is currently listed as a backup LDE, he might be moved over.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I had a lot of fun watching the game and writing this up.

I agree, this is just a one game, but Ayers showed he can be a nice compliment to Miller across the line. I'm rooting for Ayers to get a shot.

I think if a defensive end is drafted in the early to mid-rounds, the rookie would almost assuredly be ahead of Beal on the depth chart. Wolfe and Ayers would be the starters, with Malik Jackson and the rookie next in line.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Thats being overly specific don't ya think? Wink How 'bout a list of players, drafted in the 7th or later including UDFA's that were starters for our SB Teams?

It's pretty lengthy. Our 1st SB Team in 77 had 4, w 2 UDFA's. Our 86-89 group had almost 1/3rd of the starters (7) in the same category and our SB winning teams had the largest number, 8 of either players drafted in the 7th or later or UDFA's, that started for those teams. Four of them on the OL, considered the best OL in the league at that time.

Anyway, point being, writing off a player for the reasons you've listed would seem premature. He was only on the PS for 1 year and IR last.

I know we've had this chat before. This year he'll either make it or start selling shoes or whatever. Until he's cut though I look at him as being a viable alternative along with Malik Jackson.

Here's hoping one of the two join the list of 7th rd- or UDFA's that have started on our SB teams.
For the record; 1977, Jack Dolbin, Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo, Steve Foley

1986-89; Clarence Kay, Dave Studdard, Greg Kragen, Jim Ryan, Karl Mecklenburg, Steve Foley and Rick Dennison

97-98; Rod Smith, Howard Griffith, Shannon Sharpe, Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Brian Habib, Tony Jones and Tyrone Braxton.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a shot? Sure.

Expectations? No high.

Draft a pass rusher early? yes.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Thats being overly specific don't ya think? Wink How 'bout a list of players, drafted in the 7th or later including UDFA's that were starters for our SB Teams?

It's pretty lengthy. Our 1st SB Team in 77 had 4, w 2 UDFA's. Our 86-89 group had almost 1/3rd of the starters (7) in the same category and our SB winning teams had the largest number, 8 of either players drafted in the 7th or later or UDFA's, that started for those teams. Four of them on the OL, considered the best OL in the league at that time.

Anyway, point being, writing off a player for the reasons you've listed would seem premature. He was only on the PS for 1 year and IR last.

I know we've had this chat before. This year he'll either make it or start selling shoes or whatever. Until he's cut though I look at him as being a viable alternative along with Malik Jackson.

Here's hoping one of the two join the list of 7th rd- or UDFA's that have started on our SB teams.
For the record; 1977, Jack Dolbin, Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo, Steve Foley

1986-89; Clarence Kay, Dave Studdard, Greg Kragen, Jim Ryan, Karl Mecklenburg, Steve Foley and Rick Dennison

97-98; Rod Smith, Howard Griffith, Shannon Sharpe, Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Brian Habib, Tony Jones and Tyrone Braxton.

I was specific, you're right, but here's the thing, 20 years ago being a UDFA is a bit different than it is now. It's much tougher today to get a spot on a team and contribute because of the athleticism gap that exists between guys who are drafted high to be productive and guys who are UDFAs.

All I'm saying is this: expecting Beal to compete for a roster spot is one thing, because, yes, he has a chance to be a 3rd or MAYBE second string DE and that's being generous. Expecting him to be a big contributor to our team is futile, because based on what we HAVE seen of him, he definitely doesn't seem to have that ability.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: