Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith's Value
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
Rumless wrote:
For those looking to read some negatives on Geno Smith, Pro Football Weekly has you covered.

Quote:
Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

As you've read, strong negatives in Geno Smith. I find the interview aspects of scouting fascinating, simply for the fact common fans aren't given any knowledge of how well a prospect performs or what the interview entailed. If this scouting report is accurate, there's a lot more to Geno than meets the eye.

this is the same guy that said similar things about RG3 last year. He'll probably say similar things about Tajh Boyd and Teddy B next year. See where I'm going with this?

Now you have me thinking....is this the guy that lambasted Cam Newton as an extreme no-talent?

Probably. I don't remember exactly what he said about Cam, but it wasn't good.

For contrast, his Matt Barkley scouting report:
Quote:
Notes: His father, Les, was an All-American water polo player at USC (1976-79) and brother, Sam, is a hurdler on the USC track team. A four-year starter who threw for 9,487 yards and 78 touchdowns as a California prep. Suffered a broken collarbone in his first year of high school, when he was allowed to call his own plays. Became the first junior to be named Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2007 after throwing for 3,576 yards and 35 touchdowns. Enrolled at USC in time for spring practice in ’09 and was named the starter in the fall as a true freshman. In 12 starts, he completed 211-of-352 pass attempts (59.9 percent) for 2,735 yards with 15 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Became the first USC true freshman ever to start an opener and the first true freshman to start an opener at QB for an AP Top Five team since Michigan’s Rick Leach in 1975. Missed the Washington game with a bruised right shoulder. Had surgery on his right wrist to relieve stiffness and inflammation prior to ’10 spring practice. In the fall, threw for 236-377-2,791-26-12 (62.6) in 12 starts. Was sidelined for second half of the Oregon State game and against Notre Dame with a high ankle sprain. Had a record-setting ’11 campaign with 308-446-3,528-39-7 (69.1) in 12 starts. Set the Pac-12 record for touchdown passes and broke the school mark for completion percentage. Became the top signalcaller in USC history in ’12 after hitting 246-387-3,273-36-15 (63.6) in 11 starts. Suffered a sprained AC joint (type III) in his throwing (right) shoulder on a hit against UCLA and missed the final two games of his collegiate career. Finished with 20 USC career, season and game marks with 10 also being Pac-12 records. Was the winner of the Wuerffel Trophy, awarded for exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement. Was USC’s first-ever three-time captain and had a 34-13 record in 47 career starts. Did not work out at the Combine to rest his throwing shoulder.
Positives: Thickly built. Experienced four-year starter in a pro-style offense with progression NFL reads. Terrific football intelligence. Good decision-maker — knows when and where to go with the ball. Throws on balance with a smooth, fluid delivery. Good enough arm strength to connect deep — can drop it in a bucket and showed improved deep accuracy as a senior. Good short-to-intermediate accuracy and overall anticipation. Tough and will deliver with pressure barreling down — good poise and on-field demeanor. Can sidestep the rush and manipulate coverage with his eyes. Outstanding intangibles and leadership traits — commands respect from teammates. Rallied comeback wins throughout his career, from the time he was the first freshman to start for a top-5-ranked team since 1975 against Ohio State, to Oregon (2011) and Utah (2012). Very intelligent with an engaging personality. Team tempo-setter. Can elevate a locker room, uplift an organization and represent a franchise with integrity. Very strong support structure. Is a pro’s pro and football is very important to him. Highly determined.
Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can’t step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs. Not quick-eyed — many throws are pre-determined at the line, and he will hold the ball too long on some progressions. Can be streaky (see Washington). Never beat Stanford’s pro-style defense in four years.
Summary: A cool, confident, rhythm passer who suffered as a senior behind a leaky, injured offensive line that left little time to throw. Looked much more comfortable as a junior with an elite left tackle. Is slow-footed and could be more prone to injury in the pros and take some time to adapt to live NFL bullets. Leadership traits, strength of character and football IQ will allow to operate at a high level in a play-action passing game with a clean pocket and a talented cast of receivers. Can become a very solid NFL starter and thrive with a strong supporting cast. A cross between Drew Brees and Colt McCoy.
NFL projection: First-round pick.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Smith scares the hell out of me. I will holding my breath until we pick on draft day, hoping and praying someone trades up to our pick to take him.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some truth from ArrowheadPride:

Quote:
It should be pointed out that the teams with the No. 3, 7 and 8 picks in the draft, all who could reasonably have a shot at and a need for Geno Smith, have secured other options in Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer. Just sayin'.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/4/1/4172280/chiefs-trade-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-2013
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:

Quote:
It should be pointed out that the teams with the No. 3, 7 and 8 picks in the draft, all who could reasonably have a shot at and a need for Geno Smith, have secured other options in Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer. Just sayin'.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/4/1/4172280/chiefs-trade-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-2013

I definitely don't see Kolb and Palmer as being viewed as long term solutions by their teams. Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson are probably going to get a chance to duke it out as the "veteran" while the Bills go after a young quarterback to groom. I would think they would definitely look into the idea of selecting Geno Smith either at their spot or by trading up should the compensation make sense. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up going after E.J. Manuel. I also think the New York Jets make alot of sense as well.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth no Eagles fan on this site thinks the Eagles will trade up for Geno Smith.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=519015
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
marnz wrote:
I question if anyone actually wants geno at this point eapecially if flynn goes to oakland and palmer to arizona

You can cross off BUF, OAK and AZ from the list of suitors. They’ve all postured themselves from overspending for Geno Smith.

None of them see their recent acquisitions as anything more than we see Alex Smith, a stop gap. However, their maneuvering allows them to sit back and see if Geno falls in their laps or settle for something later.

All that leaves is the Eagles. If I’m them, I call everyone’s bluff. Geno Smith is not worth mortgaging your future, and the Eagles will not allow themselves to be held up, just like the others won’t. The cards are in their favor.

What a difference a few days makes. The high optimism I had for a trade down has been reduced to hope.

More likely, the Chiefs are stuck at one taking Luke Joeckel and will trade Branden Albert to recoup lost picks. I don’t think they can even expect a 13R2 if they can manage a Geno trade, yet alone multiple picks. What a bummer.

All 3 of those teams basically just reaquired the same QB they already had only with a different contract and different name....the Raiders did get much younger with more of an unknown, but still not a guy like Geno that is likely to be a top 10 QB in this league. Maybe cross the Raiders off, but the other two are no better off than before...in fact Ariz is now older.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:
For those looking to read some negatives on Geno Smith, Pro Football Weekly has you covered.

Quote:
Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognitionforces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. (He obviously watched the Mouch session and didnte remebeer the play perfectly. This is a huge joke) Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

As you've read, strong negatives in Geno Smith. I find the interview aspects of scouting fascinating, simply for the fact common fans aren't given any knowledge of how well a prospect performs or what the interview entailed. If this scouting report is accurate, there's a lot more to Geno than meets the eye.

This is a joke. I've bolded the parts that are BS. Obviously some weaknesses are true but this is just hilarious.

The reason he skipped the senior bowl was to work on mechanics. His biggest weakness. He fixed them enough to make Mayock place him in the top 10.

Take what this guy says with a grain of salt. Sounds exactly like a guy who scouts from the boxscore and headlines.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's his take on Newton.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/29/cam-newton-scouting-report
91jmay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted in the NFL Draft forum his scouting report on Armanti Edwards started with:

'Has a daughter. Nicknamed Money'.

The guy CLEARLY has one agenda.

Nickname for Sio Moore and Khalil Mack.
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

this is the same guy that said similar things about RG3 last year. He'll probably say similar things about Tajh Boyd and Teddy B next year. See where I'm going with this?

Now you have me thinking....is this the guy that lambasted Cam Newton as an extreme no-talent?

Yes he did. I was thinking the same thing. As most here know, I’ve been anti-Geno day one. Everything I’ve read is that he is a student of the game and a “football nerd”.

It’s hard to give this guy, Rowocki, any creditability when he’s saying something contrary to most everything that has been written.

PFW’s draft coverage has never been the same since Joel Buchbaum passed. I stopped reading Rowocki’s mock drafts years ago because they always seemed to be coming out of left field.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets quit tip-toeing around the forum rules:
Webby wrote:
8. You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs.

I don't care what agenda this guy has our how legit the accusation may or may not be, it's not something we are to discuss here.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Webby wrote:
8. You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs.

I don't care what agenda this guy has our how legit the accusation may or may not be, it's not something we are to discuss here.

Did I say something wrong?

Confused

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
Webby wrote:

Did I say something wrong?

Confused

Several posts, not just yours, have made the insinuation that this guy's assessment is biased due to the race of the player. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant.

If that wasn't your intent of your post, then I apologize, but hopefully you can see how I might arrive at that conclusion.

And for everyone, to ensure your not falsely accused of skating the rules, make it clear what you are saying. Leaving it open ended implies you are trying to insinuate something that might not be acceptable.

^ryknowssd on the sig
marnz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:

Quote:

I definitely don't see Kolb and Palmer as being viewed as long term solutions by their teams. Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson are probably going to get a chance to duke it out as the "veteran" while the Bills go after a young quarterback to groom. I would think they would definitely look into the idea of selecting Geno Smith either at their spot or by trading up should the compensation make sense. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up going after E.J. Manuel. I also think the New York Jets make alot of sense as well.

Ya see here's the thing ur right no one sees them as long term answers but they did give up low Draft picks and gave them starting money for a year at least that shows to me at least they don't want geno in first round and would rather wait a year and get a qb
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marnz wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:

Quote:

Ya see here's the thing ur right no one sees them as long term answers but they did give up low Draft picks and gave them starting money for a year at least that shows to me at least they don't want geno in first round and would rather wait a year and get a qb

You could be right. IMO that allows them to go either way. If they like Geno Smith enough they could see what it would take to move up to draft him. If it doesn't cost outrageous compensation then I could see them considering it and by having a veteran in place, they don't need to throw Smith to the wolves.

On the flip side, if the compensation package required is too great or if they really aren't enamored with Smith then that could allow them to float the boat until they find a long term replacement.

It's all about flexibility and those teams appear to have given themselves some flexibility while also keeping key draft picks (novel idea! LOL)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: