Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens will start the season on the road: thanks Joe Flacco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Quote:
However, a source close to RSR has shared that the Rooney Family, which owns the Pittsburgh Steelers, vehemently opposed the Wednesday opening citing weaker TV ratings and that they believed such a move would be an unfair advantage for the Ravens giving them an extra day of rest for their second opponent which could be Pittsburgh.

http://russellstreetreport.com/rumor-mill-a-ray-lewis-comeback-draft-day-trades-and-more/

Nope, lets bash the O's for this!!!!

Interesting. I still hold the belief that both sides deserve a share of the 'blame,' in the sense that the MLB/Orioles and the NFL as a whole took stances believed to be in their best interests and left the Ravens with no good options. I see why both sides took the stances that they did, but on either side I also think more could have been done. The NFL has more of a responsibility to make the situation right than the Orioles/MLB do, but at the same time, the Orioles know better what this means to the city of Baltimore and they were also offered financial incentives by the Ravens to help them out and declined, so I'm not going to act like they did as much as they could, either.

The more interesting part there to me was this:

Quote:
With the 11th pick in Round 2 of the 2010 NFL Draft the Ravens selected Sergio Kindle. However the team nearly made a swap with the Buffalo Bills to move up two spots in front of New England to select Rob Gronkowski. Now that he’s no longer with the team, we’ve recently learned that it was none other than Cam Cameron who convinced Ozzie Newsome to kill that deal.

Cameron believed that Gronk was not the kind of player who could be effective in his offensive scheme, preferring a more vertical threat at the position. One round later the Ravens selected Ed Dickson even though Ravens’ TE Coach Wade Harman preferred Jimmy Graham who ended up with the New Orleans Saints.

Cam Cameron is the gift that keeps taking away.

Whole thing was an April fools joke.

as far as the Ravens/Orioles thing, I mostly agree with you. I think it deserves repeating that the O's aren't the only party on the MLB side of this with a say (MLBPA, White Sox and Cleveland/Yankees if other games needed to be moved). I think someone put it very well, comparing the situation to a vacation home that you share with a friend. You scheduled using the home a year in advance. Your buddy gets married out of nowhere and wants to use the place for his honeymoon. Putting aside your legitimate claim to using the house and allowing him to would be a very nice, generous thing to do, but if that is the only time you can take a vacation, are you really to be blamed or considered a bad friend? I may not be explaining the analogy as well as I heard it, but I think the vast majority of responsibility for this situation sits with the NFL. In the future, all shared-use facilities teams should build this into their schedules if the NFL is going to insist on this game being on Thursday.

Again, I do think there are things the O's could have done to serve the 'greater good' and it probably would have better served them as it is unlikely they will win this from a PR standpoint. But I think blaming them for a situation they didn't truly create nor do they have full power to control at this point is somewhat silly IMO. Furthermore, I think people saying things along the lines of "MLB has a ton of games, what does one game matter" is way off base. While I agree that they should try to help accommodate, that is such an NFL-centric view that expects one party hear to bend over backwards completely to accommodate the other. It's akin to people talking about compromise who really mean agree to everything I want or little kids talking about sharing who really mean to take what someone else has.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This April Fools thing is getting out of hand. The UMD Student Newspaper is hilarious today. They say the new bar that is opening is going to have JayZ and Timberlake at the opening with a fire show and fire shots (the opening is delayed because of the sprinkler system). They say the UMD football field is becoming a bright red and they have a picture, which actually looks awesome. Then they have a big article about how Randy Edsall tore both of his ACLs and is out for the season (Terps top 4 QBs all were out for the year last year, 3 of which were due to torn ACLs). And some other things...

GO RAVENS!!
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing This April Fools thing is getting out of hand. The UMD Student Newspaper is hilarious today. They say the new bar that is opening is going to have JayZ and Timberlake at the opening with a fire show and fire shots (the opening is delayed because of the sprinkler system). They say the UMD football field is becoming a bright red and they have a picture, which actually looks awesome. Then they have a big article about how Randy Edsall tore both of his ACLs and is out for the season (Terps top 4 QBs all were out for the year last year, 3 of which were due to torn ACLs). And some other things...

I always liked the Diamondback April Fool's issue. The thing was, it was so outrageous that it was clearly a joke and funny (i.e. "permanently moving sudoku to the front page"). One year I think they had an article talking about proposed funding for proposed renovations to Van Munching Hall and used a picture of the Disney castle (to be funny you sort of have to be in on the whole bitterness that some other departments have toward how awesome the b-school building is).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: