Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who picks up the slack for Q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who covers for Q's lost production?
Torrey Smith
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Jacoby Jones
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tandon Doss
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
David Reed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LaQuan Williams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tommy Streeter
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Deonte Thompson
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
*Rookie WR*
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Dennis Pitta
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Ed Dickson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
*Rookie TE*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ray Rice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bernard Pierce
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bobby Rainey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anthony Allen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Damien Berry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vonta Leach
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
*Rookie RB*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Who picks up the slack for Q? Reply with quote

So arguments could be made that our offense could regress as a whole next season or take a big step forward. In either scenario, though, it goes without question that someone will backfill the production of Q. So, the question is, who do you think takes the BIGGEST step forward in replacing Q's productivity in the passing game?

As a side note, it doesn't just have to be who you think will have the most additional production. So, if Torrey goes for 1,200 yards and 12 TD's next season, that could be considered MORE of an increase than a rookie who posts 600 yards and 6 TD's, even though the rookie has a greater increase (from zero essentially). Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the role that Bold in had, I see Pitta stepping up the most. I also think/hope that we'll see the targets more spread out among a deeper group of wide receivers with Can gone. Hopefully the days of our 3rd and lower receivers having 8 receptions combined on the season are over.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pitta will pick up some of Boldin's production in the slot, say 950 yards and we will see an increase in Ed Dickson's production as a tight end, say 650 yards and he is a better blocker than Pitta as well. The remaining production will be split between a rookie receiver, Keenan Allen if I had to bet, say 600 yards, Tandon Doss, say 450 yards, and Tommy Streeter, say 250 yards.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be a rookie WR that replaces Boldin. Like I said in one of the other threads, I think Ozzie is going to make many of these 'draft analysts' look silly and pick a WR- which few predict. Many of them think we're going ILB in the first round because it's a good story point, "replace Ray with..."

But I've got a gut feeling that Keenan Allen falls to the Ravens at 32 and we snatch him up. Personally I'm a little higher on Hopkins at this point, but I think the difference is negligible between the two and Allen was expected to go top 15 before the knee concerns.

I think we pick him and plug him in the lineup and see him go for something in the realm of 55 rec., 750 yds, 8 tds. I think his addition will, especially towards the end of the year as he gets more comfortable, will force teams to bracket Torrey Smith as much and it will allow Torrey to have a better 2nd half to the season than he had in 2012. Allow Smith to go for something like.. 65 recs, 1150 yds, 7 tds.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pitta will see considerable time in the slot and that Caldwell is going to piggyback that by trying to get Dickson more involved as a TE, which will pick up some of the slack.

As far as the receivers go, I'm not sure yet what direction we're going in. They really haven't shown their hand at all as to whether they think they need to bring in another wideout or not. It would be through the draft, but it's impossible to say right now whether we're looking at that DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen type of acquisition. If we do draft one of them, I expect they'll go into direct competition with Doss and Deonte Thompson for reps on the WR depth chart, and will stand a decent shot at getting involved.

I also think that this coming season is going to be extremely pivotal for Torrey Smith. I expect improvement for sure; it's hard to believe that a 3rd year wideout with his skills, who upon entering the league had barely an idea of how to run a route, will have already hit his ceiling. A lot of the smoothness of our offense will depend on how reliably Flacco can transition into Torrey being his go-to guy, the guy he feels comfort and chemistry going to even in traffic, in the same way he finally felt with Boldin in 2012 and the way he felt with Mason before him.

Torrey already drew the other team's best corner on a weekly basis because of his ability to break open over the top, but he'll see even more aggressive coverage with Boldin gone. I don't know exactly what I expect from Torrey in terms of numbers, because if the other guys can step up a bit then a lot of his impact will be felt as much in giving his teammates better matchups as it will in his own catches and touchdowns. But in terms of who needs to step up and elevate their game, as much as we look at the yet-to-be-determined 'other' receiver as needing to come in and make plays, I think the most pressure is on Torrey. He'll need to improve his ability to beat press coverage and continue expanding his route tree, which I think we saw towards the end of the year a bit. If he can take 'the leap' and really position himself more in the upper echelon of wideouts in this league, which I think he has the physical and mental makeup to be capable of doing, then that will be the biggest thing we can do towards mitigating Boldin's departure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da'Rick Rogers. Pray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Da'Rick Rogers. Pray

I would be so torqued.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with Doss I know he had the 2 drops but I think he can do everything bold in did for us. I kno he isn't as strong but he has sure hands [usually] Flacco liked him so I can see the chemistry being there and he has trained and studied under bolden for a couple years now and I think he deserves a shot to show wat he can do
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Da'Rick Rogers. Pray

I would be so torqued.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, IMO, I don't think we have anyone who could ever do what Boldin did for us.

So my answer: Nobody.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandon Doss because he is boss!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on how the draft plays out. If we're high on a guy like Allen and he's there at 32, that would be nice. Honestly though if Ozzie and the rest of the FO don't see any values they like at WR in the draft, I think Tandon Doss is going to get a shot to really contribute. He's been pretty frustrating thus far in his career here, but with some more confidence and experience he's got the skillset to be a Boldin type IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: