Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Grade Free Agency Reply with quote

We aren't grading the offseason as a whole per say, I'm looking for grading the moves individually and then giving a cumulative grade.

Mike Wallace WR
Dannell Ellerbe LB
Phillip Wheeler LB
Dustin Keller TE
Brandon Gibson WR
Chris Clemons FS
Nate Garner OT
Brent Grimes CB

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Grade Free Agency Reply with quote

Not looking at money just strictly what they bring

Mike Wallace WR: A+
Dannell Ellerbe LB: B+
Phillip Wheeler LB: B
Dustin Keller TE: A-
Brandon Gibson WR: A
Chris Clemons FS: B-
Nate Garner OT: B+
Brent Grimes CB: A-

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Grade Free Agency Reply with quote

Mike Wallace WR: A+
Dannell Ellerbe LB: B
Phillip Wheeler LB: B-
Dustin Keller TE: B
Brandon Gibson WR: C+
Chris Clemons FS: B
Nate Garner OT: B
Brent Grimes CB: A

I know the lbs are a change of attack and younger etc but i really liked burnetts play these past two years
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wallace WR: A
Dannell Ellerbe LB: B +
Phillip Wheeler LB: C
Dustin Keller TE: A
Brandon Gibson WR: A
Chris Clemons FS: B
Nate Garner OT: B-
Brian Hartline A
Matt Moore B
Randy Starks C

Overall B, Filled most of the departing holes, but haven't addressed to O-line enough

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Wheeler LB: B-
Dustin Keller TE: A
Brandon Gibson WR: B
Nate Garner OT: B-
Brian Hartline A
Matt Moore B
Randy Starks A
Lance Louis B

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everybody's giving the Grimes signing an A despite the fact he's 30 coming off a 1 game season ? Is it because we got him to sign a 1 year deal ? Cool but how about a B ? Me personally I give it a C ... this is a need move and there where healthier and younger options available. We'll be DB hunting in 2014.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Wheeler LB: C (giving C because Miami could have had him for cheaper last year)
Dustin Keller TE: A (good addition, would have liked to see a 3 yr contract)
Brandon Gibson WR: C (this move was not necessary. This money could have gone to securing offensive tackle spot.)
Brent Grimes CB: A (solid signing for both parties)
Brian Hartline B
Matt Moore B- (that is a lot of money for a backup.)
Randy Starks C (There is no way I franchise him unless a long term deal is pending)
Lance Louis B
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
So everybody's giving the Grimes signing an A despite the fact he's 30 coming off a 1 game season ? Is it because we got him to sign a 1 year deal ? Cool but how about a B ? Me personally I give it a C ... this is a need move and there where healthier and younger options available. We'll be DB hunting in 2014.

All things considered, he was the best corner still available and happened to be an excellent zone corner. If he loses a step or finds it difficult to play corner after the injury, he'd be an excellent free safety, which if Clemons doesn't turn into a playmaker, we may very well need.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealMetalFan wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

All things considered, he was the best corner still available and happened to be an excellent zone corner. If he loses a step or finds it difficult to play corner after the injury, he'd be an excellent free safety, which if Clemons doesn't turn into a playmaker, we may very well need.

That's the definition of a C grade.

Here's the example of an A:

Signing a player highly sought after by many teams after a productive healthy year entering his prime.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Phillip Wheeler LB: C (giving C because Miami could have had him for cheaper last year)
Brandon Gibson WR: C (this move was not necessary. This money could have gone to securing offensive tackle spot.)
Brian Hartline B
Randy Starks C (There is no way I franchise him unless a long term deal is pending)
Lance Louis B

I agree with you but I think that this is a future replacement for Bess.

Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
RealMetalFan wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

That's the definition of a C grade.

Here's the example of an A:

Signing a player highly sought after by many teams after a productive healthy year entering his prime.

My reasoning for the grade was because we need a starter at CB and he brings it for one year. I don't think anyone we grab outside of Milliner, Rhodes or Trufant will be able to come in day one and excell. Gives the rookies a year to develop. I think we got good value which also helps.

ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Brian Hartline B
Lance Louis B

With who?

What tackle should they have gone after that Gibson's 3 million a year prevented them from locking down?

Long - Doesn't fit scheme, often injured
Vollmer - Could have, but too many back issues...RT
Clady, Albert....Franchised...
Bushrod, Cherilus...RT....Bushrod is mediocre, Cherilus is a mauler...
Who's left? Winston....he could still sign....Dolphins have plenty of money to do so....

I know the battle cry from several of you is the Dolphins should have locked up a T, but who....who was this magical tackle that wasn't Franchised, injury prone or a RT?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall Grade :

While I was smoking crack : A+
While I was really drunk : A
Sober and hating it : A-

Although its too early to tell, at least initially this is the best off season in terms of free agents the franchise has seen.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different grading scale than some of you, but here it goes for me...

Mike Wallace WR (B+) - I can't give anything an A when I know we overpaid so much. But this still gets a great grade for every other reason. He was exactly what we needed on our offense and will completely open things up for us now, so he deffinitely makes this team better. We had the money to spend, and the contract terms really work in our favor with how the money is spread out, plus it's really only a 3 year commitment.

Dannell Ellerbe LB (A-) - I really like this guy! He has the potential to be an upgrade over Dansby. Whether that comes to pass or not will be a big question mark, since he has such little game film to go on. That's the only reason I don't give this an A. Again, I think given the unknown I think we overpaid a little, but again, we had the money to spend and it actually saves us money.

Phillip Wheeler LB (B) - I like Wheeler. I wanted him last year, but I think he might be a slight downgrade on what we had, even though I can see why the move was made to get younger and once again, even though we overpaid, we still saved money.

Dustin Keller TE (A) - A 1 year deal on a still young TE who really fits the system? Hard to ask for a better signing. If he comes in and proves himself, then we can extend him. If he doesn't and injuries become a problem, then there is no long term commitment. I like this a lot better than the Cook signing based on the deal we got.

Brandon Gibson WR (B-) - Not sure I see the need, but I like the player well enough and he didn't cost us much, so you cant critisize it too much.

Chris Clemons FS (B+) - Another 1 year deal that makes a lot of sense. He isn't elite, but he is solid so there is no reason not to bring him back for a year and let him compete with our other guys for the starting job again.

Nate Garner OT (B) - Solid depth signing

Brent Grimes CB (B+) - It's impossible not to like this signing. Sure the guy is coming off a big injury and 30. But we didn't commit any long term money to him, and if he even comes back 90% then we got a steal! Plus I liek have a veteran back there to help whatever young guys we draft. If it works out then it pushes Marshal back to the slot where he belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bpaster did a good job with his grades....there is some differences but I in general really like how he approached his grades.

WR Mike Wallace - (A) I don't see how anyone can insist that we overpaid Mike Wallace when in fact, Mike Wallace took LESS money to come play for us. Market dictates cost. There was a high demand and a high market for Mike Wallace between several teams. In two years, this market will balance itself out and Mike Wallace will be paid in the 10-15th in the league range, which is fair for his talents.

LB Dannell Ellerbe - (B+) Ellerbe was a player that I absolutely loved coming out of college. His athleticism was understated due to average testing, but the tape doesn't lie. Playing for the Ravens did wonders for Ellerbe's potential and last year was hopefully only the beginning of the iceberg in terms of his production and play. I know that the money between him and Wheeler balances out for to Burnett and Dansby, but at the same time both of our linebackers are honestly overpaid. The market was there, but we overpaid by 2 million to get him to come down here. And that is fine, sometimes that is what needs to be done to build an atmosphere where players are willing to come play...Ireland needed to get the ball rolling and hopefully this is the first step.

LB Phillip Wheeler - (C+) Let me start by saying this. I absolutely LOVE Wheeler's playing style. I loved it with the Colts. I loved it with the Raiders. And I'm certain I will love it with the Dolphins. But when you had the same guy in for a visit last year and you offered him 700k for a season, let him walk and then bring him back a year later and offer him over 5 million a year, that is not good. And that is why this is C+. If I am grading based just on player skill and fit, this is an A. If I'm grading just on the economics, this is an F.

TE Dustin Keller - (A-) Low risk, high reward type of signing. A stop gap, and Keller is only what? 30? Yet he is one of the 4 oldest players on the team. Wasn't a direction I envisioned us going, but if Keller can return to his health level of the last several years where he was torching the Dolphins and Patriots up the seam for Mark Sanchez of all people, this signing could really make Ireland look smart. What I give Ireland credit for here is his ability to stick to his guns. He had Keller in for a visit, named his price, and let Keller decide.

WR Brandon Gibson - (B) We got a better player than Brian Hartline for less than we paid for Brian Hartline. If this signing came BEFORE Hartline, this grade would be an A. However due to the overstock of players at the position, I feel like this was a signing we didn't NEED to make. Which bumps it down. However the more I have watched Gibson (watched every target he had this season) the more I liked what I saw. Tough catches. Touchdowns. Clean routes. Not great speed but did create separation. Not afraid of contact. Blue collar guy who can come in and play. I do like the fact that Miami loaded up, leads me to believe the evolution of the offense will continue and the style of play we played last year is not Philbin's preferred plan of attack but rather he was catering to the players he had.

FS Chris Clemons - (A+) This signing is a great re-up. A short term carry over on a player who was very under appreciated here in Miami last year. Clemons played in 1120 snaps, which was 3rd highest on the team. In only 4 games last year did QBs have a better QB rating than 80.0 when throwing to receivers Clemons was responsible for. He has great speed, is where he is supposed to be and aside of one missed tackle against St. Louis that went for 31 yards after the catch, his highest total game YACs were 17, 5 and 4. I hope we extend him long term.

OT Nate Garner - (B+) A signing I can't go too crazy over because in all likelihood Garner is going to end up as just the swing tackle as a depth player. But a guy who stepped in at RT for the last 5 games and until he got beat like a drum vs. New England, he seriously looked like a potential answer at the position. Garner has been on my watch list since 2009 when he stepped in and played well, but hasn't been able to live up to his potential.

CB Brent Grimes - (A) Yes, there is a chance Grimes is no where near the player that he was in 2011. But even if he is 3/4ths the player, he is still the best corner on the roster now. He's a little older, but his experience on winning teams should be a great asset to a young secondary. If we are gearing our coverage in the way I think we are, Grimes is a perfect fit to sit in the flat and cover hook/curls and make plays on the ball. He has a great feel for where receivers are behind him and has wonderful ball skills.

WR Brian Hartline - (C-) Hartline is now paid more than Reggie Wayne. Let that sink in. I like Hartline. I like him a lot. But he got paid probably twice of what his skill level dictates he's worth. Instead he's cashed in a big payday for being the only competent receiver on the team last year. I love that he has chemistry with Tannehill. I like his body control and his tough catches. But let's be honest here, he isn't a mismatch for anyone physically. Most overpaid receiver on the team. More than Wallace is "overpaid". More than Bess. Make no mistake, Brian Hartline says he took less money to stay in Miami. He's talking about his 2013 salary. Hartline's roster was backloaded and he gets a modest payday this year. But that number balloons after that.

DT Randy Starks - (C) A total misappropriation of funds. The franchise tag for Starks, when we already have Soliai, could have asked Odrick to slide inside and play the three tech, and could have resigned Tony McDaniel for 2 million dollars is poor form. I understand the value he brings to the defensive line, but he is replaceable. I understand Starks is likely in the long term plans. But the money we resorted to spending is a waste. Huge paycheck for a guy we could have gotten similar production out of for about 6.5 million less. So now Odrick will continue to be misused, Starks gets a huge payday and after next year when Odrick signs elsewhere we will continue to hear people rip Ireland mercilessly over "missing" on his 1st round picks.

OG Lance Louis - (B+) Point blank, if he's healthy, he's starting at RG. I like the signing, low risk. I hope he proves to be healthy and worthwhile.

QB Matt Moore - (B) If it isn't broke, don't fix it. A hopefully low impact signing. He's paid well, but he wants to be here and is one of the best backups in the league.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: