Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills sign former Cards QB Kevin Kolb to 2-year, $13M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LeeEvans


Moderator
Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 19714
Location: 410 MD
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireC wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
God help me if we pass up Geno Smith because of this...

He's a good back-up to have, no doubt, but this FA's track record isn't good at bringing in guys like this to just be back-ups.

He better not be the starter next season. S'all I can really say.


Stop acting like Geno Smith is the next RG3/Wilson, to me, he's NOT..

He put up numbers in a QB-friendly spread offense, good for him .. regardless, and perhaps more importantly than what offense he played in, he had games where he still wilted and was lame, his bowl game much?
The guy is clearly the best QB in the draft and we are team in desperate need of a franchise QB, we should take him if he is there without any hesitation. The guy isn't a sure thing like Luck and RG3 but people found holes in their games too. While we are talking about games where he "wilted" are people not allowed to have bad games? The guy played this season with one of the worst defenses in college football, he(and the rest of that offense) won games completely on their own this season for West Virginia. I know he had a poor bowl game but what about the year before when they absolutely annihilated Clemson in the Orange Bowl?
_________________

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2391
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy with this signing. I'll also be happy if he starts the 1st half of the season. Just means we got a decent QB...certainly better at that point than whoever we draft. I'm quite OK with letting a rookie learn the ropes before hitting the field. I still think Kolb is fragile, but as a transition-type player, this is a good fit. You Kolb haters need to remember this: last year he played well until injured, 2011 he had to learn an entirely new offense without an off-season, now he gets to come back to a WCO-style offense, and this is a 2 year contract. How long was Fitz's again? The release of Fitz coupled with this signing makes a ton of sense.
_________________


Last edited by Yibbyl on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireC


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2533
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVM, delete this post.

Last edited by FireC on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NIKEJWN


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 2516
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireC wrote:
LeeEvans wrote:
FireC wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
God help me if we pass up Geno Smith because of this...

He's a good back-up to have, no doubt, but this FA's track record isn't good at bringing in guys like this to just be back-ups.

He better not be the starter next season. S'all I can really say.


Stop acting like Geno Smith is the next RG3/Wilson, to me, he's NOT..

He put up numbers in a QB-friendly spread offense, good for him .. regardless, and perhaps more importantly than what offense he played in, he had games where he still wilted and was lame, his bowl game much?
The guy is clearly the best QB in the draft and we are team in desperate need of a franchise QB, we should take him if he is there without any hesitation. The guy isn't a sure thing like Luck and RG3 but people found holes in their games too. While we are talking about games where he "wilted" are people not allowed to have bad games? The guy played this season with one of the worst defenses in college football, he(and the rest of that offense) won games completely on their own this season for West Virginia. I know he had a poor bowl game but what about the year before when they absolutely annihilated Clemson in the Orange Bowl?


The difference statistically between Syracuse this year, and Clemson in the Orange Bowl is pronounced..

according to sports-reference.com, Syracuse's opp pts/G was ranked 47th out of 124 teams, and Clemson sported a measly 81st out of 120..

In regards to Geno being cut slack for bad games, I'm not saying a QB is not allowed to have a bad game, in that instance some of today's elites/goods/greats would not be where they are..

However, when the competition got stiffer, Geno's performance numbers faltered in comparison to how established some of the elite NFL QBs performed in college against tougher competition. This statement, atleast according to this site: collegefootballmetrics.com

The site may be a bunch of "doo-doo" to you, but I will reveal it here anyway..

P.S. If you were including me in "we" for the Bills, I am not a Bills fan. Just an outsider commenting.


If your not a Bills fan then why are you trying to start some beef about our QB options. Look every QB in this draft has there faults, hence why KC went to the Alex Smith option, but Geno has been ranked by many as the best option in this draft. I dont care about his stats and against who he played. Even in his losses he put up good numbers during the season. I think the thing that puts him apart from the rest is his mobility. I know he is not an RG3 mold, but to have the wheels to extend plays just make his option that much better, add to the fact that he has a good arm and very accurate is a plus. He has the highest upside of this class and to me and most fans the #1 QB in this class and would have to be a very strong consideration for us at 8.
_________________


Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner


Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnafiWhat


Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this allows us to take Geno at #8 if he's there and let them battle for the #1 job, and if he's not we can move down, get more picks and get a guy like Barkley/Nassib/Wilson later in the 1st or early 2nd round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OffseasonChamps


Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 224
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolb played well in Reid's WCO, comes at a lower price than Fitz would have, is good competition for T-Jax, and the Bills won't have to reach for a QB if Geno* isn't there at 8. we could pick BPA until that guy is a QB.

*only QB worth taking at 8 is Geno imo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireC


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2533
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVM, delete this post.

Last edited by FireC on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10278
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireC wrote:

4.) Touching on the above, believe it or not, Geno Smith's 8 passing TD game can raise suspicion. From 2000 to 2012, the highest an elite QB ever had was Eli with 6, but more importantly (don't dismiss this point because of what I just said), look at all the QBs that have gotten 8+ passing TDs in that timespan:

Keenum (Houston)
Rolovich (Hawaii)
Geno Smith (West Virginia)
Symons (Texas Tech)
Vizza (North Texas)

I am unsure what Vizza played, but Keenum, Rolovich, and Symons may have all played in a gimmick, QB-friendly offense that "pads stats". Geno himself may have also done so - Dana Holgorsen, the head coach of West Virginia, was the former offensive coordinator of Houston and Texas Tech (but also Oklahoma State in 2010, I don't know what they ran then, technically I don't know any for sure).
The main reaosn why Geno threw 8 TDs in that game against Baylor is because it was a shoot out and his defense couldnt stop Baylor at all, and Baylor couldnt stop WVU's offense at all. If he didnt throw 8 TDs they would have been blow out. The reason WVU won that game was because of Geno Smith. If you watched that game instead of just looking at stats you wouldnt even bring that game up. Comparing Geno Smith to Case Keenum is laughable. Keenum isnt half the QB Geno is.

Do I think Geno Smith is the best QB in this draft, mehh its a toss up between him and Barkley for me. But like I said, brining up his 8 TD game and trying to spin it as its a bad thing is laughable. Come on man.

Here is the Summary of the Baylor/WVU game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10278
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireC wrote:
5.) Box score football stats are basically just a recap of production, one more accurate than "I thought he played well" or "I thought he played bad".. while visual scouting is certainly a tool that should be used, it also gives way to bias and human error in what is being seen. As is said, however, numbers don't lie, only the way people use them.
Ohhh so your one of those, "OMG his numbers against this or that team were bad so he must be terrible". Watch games. You say that "numbers dont lie" ... well yes they do. But in reality the tape doesnt lie. Like I have said before Geno isnt the elite QB that Luck is, but he is a solid QB, that in the right system and with some weapons around him, he can be a very good QB.

I might add that Geno's stats were incredible. But if he was a Timmy Chang or Colt Brennan the tape would show it. But the tape shows a guy who should go in the top 15 of the first round.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 4217
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think FireC has definitely warn out his welcome. This thread is about Kevin Kolb, not your hate towards Geno Smith. He threw 8tds in a game so we better not draft him Rolling Eyes....


Anyways, I am for this signing, I know Nix will still draft a QB within the first two rounds and I am hoping this signing makes other teams believe we have no interest in Geno therefore they aren't trying to jump us to get him (Jets, Tampa). If Kolb starts for us this season then I pray we have either Patterson with SJ13 or Warmack leading the charge (pun!) with our run game.

This will make for an interesting April.

Happy Easter Everyone!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DubiDo0


Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 421
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against them using kolb as a stop gap. If they don't think any rookie will pan out don't waste the pick on him. As long as they get their quarterback by next year I'll be satisfied.
_________________
Let's Go Buffalo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireC


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2533
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVM, delete this post

Last edited by FireC on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10278
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireC wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
FireC wrote:

4.) Touching on the above, believe it or not, Geno Smith's 8 passing TD game can raise suspicion. From 2000 to 2012, the highest an elite QB ever had was Eli with 6, but more importantly (don't dismiss this point because of what I just said), look at all the QBs that have gotten 8+ passing TDs in that timespan:

Keenum (Houston)
Rolovich (Hawaii)
Geno Smith (West Virginia)
Symons (Texas Tech)
Vizza (North Texas)

I am unsure what Vizza played, but Keenum, Rolovich, and Symons may have all played in a gimmick, QB-friendly offense that "pads stats". Geno himself may have also done so - Dana Holgorsen, the head coach of West Virginia, was the former offensive coordinator of Houston and Texas Tech (but also Oklahoma State in 2010, I don't know what they ran then, technically I don't know any for sure).
The main reaosn why Geno threw 8 TDs in that game against Baylor is because it was a shoot out and his defense couldnt stop Baylor at all, and Baylor couldnt stop WVU's offense at all. If he didnt throw 8 TDs they would have been blow out. The reason WVU won that game was because of Geno Smith. If you watched that game instead of just looking at stats you wouldnt even bring that game up. Comparing Geno Smith to Case Keenum is laughable. Keenum isnt half the QB Geno is.

Do I think Geno Smith is the best QB in this draft, mehh its a toss up between him and Barkley for me. But like I said, brining up his 8 TD game and trying to spin it as its a bad thing is laughable. Come on man.

Here is the Summary of the Baylor/WVU game.


Again, I am not trying to call Keenum a good QB. However, from a statistical standpoint, Geno is more indistinguishable from Keenum than one would think, except for athletic measurements.

I will note, the games I listed above were all blowouts except for Geno's game, and Vizza's loss against Navy.

Why are you people insistent on having a man-crush on Geno Smith? Do you enjoy having zero Super Bowl rings?
Hey buddy, if you bothered reading my posts, I said that Geno will be a good QB, but Im not sure if he is my #1 ranked QB or if Matt Barkley is. So, yeah there is no man crush.

But it seems like you have some sort of grudge against him or something and you wont bother to look at the tape, and you keep bringing up his stats which are good, so that baffels me. Look many of us Bills fans have wanted a franchise QB, we havent had one since Jim Kelly retired. A LONG time ago. So when we are in position to get a franchise QB we are going to have "man-crushes" ... You arent proving anything and seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. I mean its funny so please continue Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jb_gobills


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 14760
Location: Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the quarterback carousel continues...

Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Billy Joe Hobert, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Travis Brown, Drew Bledsoe, Shane Matthews, J.P. Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, Levi Brown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith, Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb
_________________

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10278
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
And the quarterback carousel continues...

Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Billy Joe Hobert, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Travis Brown, Drew Bledsoe, Shane Matthews, J.P. Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, Levi Brown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith, Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb


Be prepared to add a rookie to that mix. IMO there is NO way we pass on drafting a QB, just becuase we signed Kevin Kolb. Its no secret that we are looking long and hard at the QB class. Kolb isnt a franchise QB and I'm sure our Staff knows this. I think it is just insurance for when we draft a QB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group