Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free-Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
And now the Cardinals are trading for Carson Palmer...

I'm perfectly happy to keep Mallett around. I like his potential and seeing him crushed to death behind Arizona's abysmal line or fading away into nothing in the black-hole of Oakland would have depressed me.

Obviously for a second rounder it would be worth it, but for a third? He's more valuable on the team.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 40 Yards: 558 TDs: 7
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:

Obviously for a second rounder it would be worth it, but for a third? He's more valuable on the team.

Before the draft, I'd agree with that. When they're sitting there in the 3rd round though, it might be favorable to move him for a 3rd. Maybe a high 3rd could net them a prospect they had a 2nd round grade on. Maybe they think they could swap the Mallett 3rd for a 2nd next year.

Conversely, if you're sitting there around pick #55 and some team in the late 2nd offers you their pick for Mallett but the board has been picked clean (in terms of the guys the Pats like), maybe it's not worth it.

I still think the best time to trade him (if they move him at all this year) will be in August. I don't see a big need for 2013 draft picks, given how poor the class is.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills signed Kevin Kolb to a 2-year deal that's worth at max, $13 million.
Tom Brady Tribute
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viable options right now still out there who I think fit:

1. Israel Idonije
2. Antoine Winfield
3. Brandon Lloyd
4. Kevin Walter
5. Tracy Porter

And that's not including Freeney/Abraham since I think we'd get one of them.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnamdi could potentially be an option if he wants to play for a genuine contender on a cheaper deal. 1year/ $4m perhaps?

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Nnamdi could potentially be an option if he wants to play for a genuine contender on a cheaper deal. 1year/ $4m perhaps?

The problem with nnamdi is positional inflexibility. He's a pure RCB and hat would make our 3 best cornerbacks all boundary players. Who slides inside? Dennard has to be outside to use his physicality. Talib would have to play slot and that's probably not something he's good at.

IMO adding Grimes would have worked. As he's a twitchy athlete who could play inside and out. But adding depth that is inflexible at that cost seems foolish.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

The problem with nnamdi is positional inflexibility. He's a pure RCB and hat would make our 3 best cornerbacks all boundary players. Who slides inside? Dennard has to be outside to use his physicality. Talib would have to play slot and that's probably not something he's good at.

IMO adding Grimes would have worked. As he's a twitchy athlete who could play inside and out. But adding depth that is inflexible at that cost seems foolish.

Dennard played well outside, but hes a natural fit as a Nickel, and it showed at times becuz of his height. I think he can be the best young slot Corner in the league if employed there. Id take a veteran piece over drafting one at this point. Don't want to waste anymore time trying to draft and develop CBs with our track record. At least, not with the veteran options we have this year. I wouldn't be declined to take Aso in. He can be the RCB, talib at LCB, and dennard at NCB. That's a nice looking lineup. And we still have Dowling and Arrinton to contribute. This way, we can focus our draft needs to DT, WR, S or DE

Logan Ryan

Deadpulse Ink.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just re-signed Arrington to a fairly pricey (for a non-starter) deal. They're not going to cut him or eliminate his snaps by giving Dennard the nickel/slot spot.

Another veteran starting CB isn't going to happen unless Dennard is in prison.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
They just re-signed Arrington to a fairly pricey (for a non-starter) deal. They're not going to cut him or eliminate his snaps by giving Dennard the nickel/slot spot.

He can be the Dime/extra DB in packages and I'd be fine with that. The less snaps he sees, the better.

Logan Ryan

Deadpulse Ink.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

He can be the Dime/extra DB in packages and I'd be fine with that. The less snaps he sees, the better.

So the 6th DB is either going to be last year's 2nd round pick or a guy they just re-signed to a $16M contract?

Don't think so.

It's obvious by the contract they just gave Arrington that they like him a lot more than you do and they are planning on using him a fair bit. The #4 CB on the Pats doesn't get much playing time outside of injuries. When they run dime, they most frequently use 3 CB and 3 S. It makes no sense to add another (presumed) high end veteran CB unless Dennard is going to miss time with his legal issues.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

So the 6th DB is either going to be last year's 2nd round pick or a guy they just re-signed to a $16M contract?

Don't think so.

It's obvious by the contract they just gave Arrington that they like him a lot more than you do and they are planning on using him a fair bit. The #4 CB on the Pats doesn't get much playing time outside of injuries. When they run dime, they most frequently use 3 CB and 3 S. It makes no sense to add another (presumed) high end veteran CB unless Dennard is going to miss time with his legal issues.

Do you always question everyone's opinions in such condescending fashion? This is under the impression that we sign Aso or another veteran CB. Which is highly improbable at this point. But I guess we can't speculate at all can we? Rolling Eyes

Logan Ryan

Deadpulse Ink.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Don't think so.

Do you always question everyone's opinions in such condescending fashion? This is under the impression that we sign Aso or another veteran CB. Which is highly improbable at this point. But I guess we can't speculate at all can we? Rolling Eyes

I didn't question your opinion ("the less snaps he sees the better"). I pointed out that based on how things have transpired this offseason, another high-end (i.e. guy who will want starting snaps) DB is exceedingly unlikely because clearly the team likes Arrington more than you do.

The Patriots currently have at least 6 DB's they're invested in giving a lot of snaps to (T.Wilson, A.Wilson, McCourty, Dennard, Arrington, Talib). They don't play a ton of dime and almost never run quarter outside of Hail Mary scenarios. The idea that the team would re-sign Arrington to a 4 year, $16M contract and then give him 5 snaps or fewer per game seems a bit far fetched to me.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Don't think so.

Depending on your argument, Ras-I Dowling is either a 2nd Round Pick with potential, or someone who cannot be depended on based on injury history.

Which one do we believe?

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Depending on your argument, Ras-I Dowling is either a 2nd Round Pick with potential, or someone who cannot be depended on based on injury history.

Which one do we believe?

Last year's second round pick was Tavon Wilson, who was often the dime back last season.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Don't think so.

Which one do we believe?

I don't know what 'we' believe, but I would be very surprised if the Pats weren't committed to Tavon Wilson -at least headed into camp.

I didn't mention Dowling because the team -historically- hasn't been overally committed to guys in their 3rd camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 63 of 74

Jump to: