Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Branden Albert - the trade scenario heating up? -Speculation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Detroit has a high second round (#36) pick so they might not be willing to trade a second for Albert. I think a more intriguing option could be the Dolphins. Obviously the loss of Jake Long stings and they might not feel that Jonathan Martin is necessarily someone they feel comfortable in that position, plus they have two second round picks. If we are sitting there at #7 (see the Geno Smith value thread) and we have already gotten picks from the Eagles and Cardinals and Eric Fisher is sitting there at #7, I would probably look to trade Albert to the Dolphins for one of their second round picks. I would start with their higher second round pick (#42) and "settle" for their lower second round pick (#54) if they balked at giving up #42.

We would have gotten Fisher and have quite a few other picks to address key positions in rounds 2 and 3.

Nic, I agree with this, but two things to consider. If you could get a starting LT in the second, and know his value was top 10-15 in pass blocking, wouldn't you spend a second round pick on it if you had NOBODY to do it?

Dolphins (unless I missed something) are in the Eric Winston hunt, which would easily take them out of the LT market because then what do they do with Martin, you would think they have to give him a shot?
bpinsky33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Detroit has a high second round (#36) pick so they might not be willing to trade a second for Albert. I think a more intriguing option could be the Dolphins. Obviously the loss of Jake Long stings and they might not feel that Jonathan Martin is necessarily someone they feel comfortable in that position, plus they have two second round picks. If we are sitting there at #7 (see the Geno Smith value thread) and we have already gotten picks from the Eagles and Cardinals and Eric Fisher is sitting there at #7, I would probably look to trade Albert to the Dolphins for one of their second round picks. I would start with their higher second round pick (#42) and "settle" for their lower second round pick (#54) if they balked at giving up #42.

We would have gotten Fisher and have quite a few other picks to address key positions in rounds 2 and 3.

I don't know if this would work. Draft day trades with players are rare, so we would need to trade Albert prior to the draft. If that happens then I don't know if we can trade back to 4, let alone 7. The only way the Albert trade makes sense is if we take one of the top two tackles. Moving from Albert to Lane Johnson isn't worth it IMO. Although it is great to that we can go from 0 2nd round picks to 3 on draft day is pretty sweet.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, irregardless, I don't think we are going to end up getting enough value in trading Albert to make it worth trading him for the sake of trading him.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
To me the fact that we are even shopping a young still ascending LT who actually wants to stay here and sign long term with us screams more to the fact that we know we are stuck with that #1 overall pick and will be forced to go BPA with a LT.

I think/hope it's because there are great LT prospects available, so if somebody gives us a great deal then we do it....but I hope it's not something we want to do or feel we have to do, it's not like the LT's are clear cut BPA's.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
TheRedSea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert & KC couldn't reach a long term deal a trade is imminent. A lot of talk is Miami with two 2nd round pics can snatch him up, so an OT will be taken in the 1st round no doubt. If Buffalo starts getting that itch with Geno on being a franchise QB for them they'll jump up knowing how interested Jacksonville may be in taking him at 2 kc can potentially add up to 5 more pics in this years draft. Its getting exciting here folks
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

Nic, I agree with this, but two things to consider. If you could get a starting LT in the second, and know his value was top 10-15 in pass blocking, wouldn't you spend a second round pick on it if you had NOBODY to do it?

Dolphins (unless I missed something) are in the Eric Winston hunt, which would easily take them out of the LT market because then what do they do with Martin, you would think they have to give him a shot?

As a Fins fans, both of you make good points. Should Miami decide to trade for Albert, what do they do about Martin, who they drafted just last year? You dont give up on high draft choices because they struggled at times last year. Especially when he performed better at LT. The Jake Long situation is perplexing because they made an effort to resign him but was reluctant to meet or exceed the Rams offer. That can be read as their faith in Martin, belief in the quality of OT in this years draft or ability to trade for someone who may fit their scheme better.

I happen to think Detroit serves as a more likely destination because Jeff Backus just retired. But I can see Miami having interest as well but there is no way they put Martin back at RT. He was humiliated there last year.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vollmer re-signed with NE. That leaves Bryant McKinnie & Andre Smith on the market - plus Eric Winston as the prime RT. Don't think any of those provides the quality Albert does.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see Miami trading a 2nd round pick for Albert and then paying him 9 million a year. However, I could see them trading a player like Soliai. Perhaps something like that could be worked out, assuming you guys need a very good NT/DT. Salaries are similar too.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the trade for Soliai being likely. Where we sit in the draft, we could take Star, who I think has every bit the chance to be better that Soliai. I'm not sure Miami is our best bet either, people just like to tag them because 1. You lost Jake, and 2. You have 2 second round picks.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see MIA as viable any more. They'll sign Eric Winston and move Martin to LT.

DET is the player in this dance. Riley Reiff is not the answer at LT. What happens next is contingent on their ability to address either DE or CB in FA. If they can't can't they'll roll with Reiff at LT. If they draft Dee Millner over the best LT available (BLTA?), Albert to DET is in play.

I really just hope the Chiefs keep BA, even if it's for only one year under the franchise tag. It just gives them so much more flexibility. They could still draft Joker, or the LT du jour (LTDJ?), play him at RT for a year, and address RT next year.

They could, gulp (shut up ryknowssd!) even draft Geno Smith, if it tickles them.

My best scenario: Forget Geno. Keep BA, trade down and recoup what you overspent for Alex Smith, and maybe Star, Ziggy or BLTA is still available.

Personally I hope you can trade down to BUF, still get Star, and take Kyle Long in R2. He can maybe replace BA, maybe replace Jeff Allen or even play RT. At worst he's a valuable swingman. That's versatility.

Overall we'd have a good enough QB to compete, a potentially devastating 34 DL front and depth and versatility on the OL. I can't imagine anything better, realistically.

Last edited by Mongo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
samsel23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Arizona's Cap look like??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
What does Arizona's Cap look like??

As per Sportrac, they have almost 13M.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
I really don't see MIA as viable any more. They'll sign Eric Winston and move Martin to LT.

DET is the player in this dance. Riley Reiff is not the answer at LT. What happens next is contingent on their ability to address either DE or CB in FA. If they can't can't they'll roll with Reiff at LT. If they draft Dee Millner over the best LT available (BLTA?), Albert to DET is in play.

I really just hope the Chiefs keep BA, even if it's for only one year under the franchise tag. It just gives them so much more flexibility. They could still draft Joker, or the LT du jour (LTDJ?), play him at RT for a year, and address RT next year.

They could, gulp (shut up ryknowssd!) even draft Geno Smith, if it tickles them.

My best scenario: Forget Geno. Keep BA, trade down and recoup what you overspent for Alex Smith, and maybe Star, Ziggy or BLTA is still available.

Personally I hope you can trade down to BUF, still get Star, and take Kyle Long in R2. He can maybe replace BA, maybe replace Jeff Allen or even play RT. At worst he's a valuable swingman. That's versatility.

Overall we'd have a good enough QB to compete, a potentially devastating 34 DL front and depth and versatility on the OL. I can't imagine anything better, realistically.

Lloyd,
I agree with the keep Albert, trade down and get some picks back. As you said, I would love sliding down and still come away with a player like Star or Ansah. That is a fact.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

Lloyd,
I agree with the keep Albert, trade down and get some picks back. As you said, I would love sliding down and still come away with a player like Star or Ansah. That is a fact.

Please, call me Mongo or at least Steve. Calling me Lloyd, my last name, makes me feel as if Iím in the military.

You could call me Bigg Sexy Badd (two Gís, two Dís) orÖoops, I guess I covered that already.

Mongo, please. Except if you chat on our kinky, slutty, Chiefs chat line. Then Iím Iím big, sluttly, greasy, mean monster MongoÖ(BSGM3?). Thatís too many initials for a less than common acronym.

My granddaughter calls me Grampy. The little [inappropriate/removed].

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: