Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Huff agrees to deal with Ravens 3 yrs/$6m
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark ops wrote:
look for us to take a long look at Rolando McClain (Oakland) not if but when he is released/cut....

I wouldn't mind him as a talent but I just don't see him as being a Harbaugh type player. Can u imagine Rolando McClain in Baltimore in the Summertime its just a nightmare waiting to happen. With that being said I'd accept him with open arms because he is young and better than anything we have. I just think its very unlikely.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolando McClain sucks, and he's a low-character guy at that.

Do not want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Do not want.

I mean, so does McClellan, Bynes and Ayanbadejo and Jameel McClain may not even be better than Rolando McClain as well, so it's not like a downgrade in talent or anything.

But either way, he's not the kind of guy I would expect Ozzie to chase.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClellan has always looked solid when he's gotten a chance to play. Bynes is a young guy who was sort of thrown into the fire last year without adequate preparation because of an injury crisis. He had his bad moments but he also played better the more he was on the field, which suggested to me that he was simply finding his feet a bit. I have confidence can play a positive role for us with an offseason to get coached up and prepared for a defensive role. Jameel McClain doesn't suck, he's just the definition of average.

Rolando McClain has had a lot of time in the league and has done nothing but suck, and he's got character concerns on top of that.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm just not all that worried about ILB. I think we'll end up adding someone through the draft to add to the rotation, particularly because I don't think Ayanbadejo is a lock to make the team out of camp. But even if we didn't add anyone, I just don't think it's a huge deal that we have unknowns at ILB. You don't need a 'name' at every position. ILB has diminished in its importance as a position in the league to begin with, and you can make those linebackers look better just by putting quality defensive linemen in front of them, which we've already done with a good and deep rotation of Ngata, Canty, Jones, McPhee, and Spears, with Tyson and maybe Cody getting snaps as well. And I think the signing of Dumervil may allow us to use Upshaw a little like we used to use Adalius Thomas and move him around, and I think we could see him move inside on passing downs from time to time.

Just because we had Ray Lewis, it doesn't mean as a franchsie we're sort of uniquely positioned to need some inspirational leader at ILB and a star. We can, and have, gotten by with rotational role players there who play well within the system. As a Ravens fan, I don't feel like I've ever had to fear the unknown that much. This is a team that put a 5th round rookie at safety with no competition and watched him grab 5 picks that year. We trusted a waiver-wire pickup and primarily special team player, former UDFA Cary Williams to be a starting corner and he produced for us. When Bart Scott left, we didn't really lift a finger trying to replace him, plugged in an UDFA rookie in Dannell Ellerbe and watched him play a terrific rookie year.

I've got faith in the system, and I just don't worry that much about the
fact that we've got guys who aren't seasoned but nonetheless have the faith of our coaching staff.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Dansby, because he strikes me as the kind of veteran who may have one those great last runs in him for a low price. But I don't think we need to feel so desperate at ILB that we need to go look at anyone with a pulse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, if you look around the league at every single 3-4 defense that's ran, they ALL have one thing in common:

A stud MLB.

What don't we have in our 3-4 system? A stud MLB. Don't believe me? Just look around the NFL...

Patriots (even though they're hybrid): Jerod Mayo or Brandon Spikes
Jets: David Harris
Browns: D'Qwell Jackson
Steelers: Lawrence Timmons
Texans: Brian Cushing
Chiefs: Derrick Johnson
Chargers: Donald Butler
Cowboys: Sean Lee
Redskins: London Fletcher
Packers: AJ Hawk
Cardinals: Daryl Washington
49ers: Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman

In a 3-4 system, IMO, you have to have at least one stud MLB who can do everything for you, and right now the Ravens don't have that, not even close to that. We have a bunch of guys who, if you put them all together, MIGHT be an above-average player, but nothing more than that.

DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Do not want.

I mean, so does McClellan, Bynes and Ayanbadejo and Jameel McClain may not even be better than Rolando McClain as well, so it's not like a downgrade in talent or anything.

McClellan has no business at ILB and I don't know how you can say Bynes sucks already. He looked promising in the little amount of playing time he has had.

EDIT: At last post. A few of those defenses are terrible and A.J. hawk isn't a stud. If anything the 2010 Packers are proof that you can have a good defense without great ILBs.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Do not want.

McClellan has no business at ILB and I don't know how you can say Bynes sucks already. He looked promising in the little amount of playing time he has had.

Well, to be fair, McClellan played very well at ILB during the TNF SF game a year ago, and when he played OLB for us this year was pretty good at doing everything except rushing the passer.

However, I just don't see where all of this Josh Bynes praise is coming from...Either I was watching the wrong Josh Bynes play, or I must be missing something because I didn't see anything from him that said "I'm an average NFL ILB" at this point in time. Maybe he comes out next year and jumps off the screen, but who knows...

BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
EDIT: At last post. A few of those defenses are terrible and A.J. hawk isn't a stud. If anything the 2010 Packers are proof that you can have a good defense without great ILBs.

Yep. I'm not saying that I'd rather not have a star ILB. It's obviously always better to have really good players than to not have them. But from that list I don't come away completely convinced that you need that star ILB as much as it just so happens that certain teams have good linebackers. And in a lot of cases, those 'names' are simply names because they play for good teams, and I think after next year one of our guys may fit that same mold after playing well within a good system.

I think we'll end up grabbing an ILB in the draft because it seems like there's good value to be had in the 2nd round or so. If we add a Minter or Arthur Brown type, then I think at that point we're absolutely fine, and even now, I'm not all that worried.

And I guess further to the point we were talking about, I don't see how Rolando McClain gets us closer to getting that 'stud' LB. If the best-case scenario pitch for him is that he's not definitively worse than McClellan or Bynes, then I really don't see a reason to bring him in considering he's not that great and he's a garbage human being on top of it.

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I thought the same until Harbaugh said that McClellan was moving to ILB full-time next season.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Yep. I'm not saying that I'd rather not have a star ILB. It's obviously always better to have really good players than to not have them. But from that list I don't come away completely convinced that you need that star ILB as much as it just so happens that certain teams have good linebackers. And in a lot of cases, those 'names' are simply names because they play for good teams, and I think after next year one of our guys may fit that same mold after playing well within a good system.

I think we'll end up grabbing an ILB in the draft because it seems like there's good value to be had in the 2nd round or so. If we add a Minter or Arthur Brown type, then I think at that point we're absolutely fine, and even now, I'm not even all that worried.

Yeah if they add somebody like Brown or Minter I think ILB is pretty much set. Or any quality LB taken in the first 4ish rounds. I just hope whoever they do add can stay on the field and be effective for all three downs. Like I said in another thread the team might not be too concerned about that, especially considering they had two ILBs that sucked in coverage (some combination of Lewis, McClain, and Ellerbe) on the field for the majority of the defensive snaps last season, but a more athletic LB that's actually able to do something productive in space would help the defense a lot in my opinion.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have glossed over it, but one component of the Rolando potential signing that I didn't see mentioned is that if we do bring in a young guy with a high draft pick, that's definitely not the guy you want him learning from/emulating. If we had a more established starter there (a bart scott, a ray lewis, etc.) I wouldn't mind as much for Rolando to be a plug. But I really don't like him being in front of a high draft pick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

And I guess further to the point we were talking about, I don't see how Rolando McClain gets us closer to getting that 'stud' LB. If the best-case scenario pitch for him is that he's not definitively worse than McClellan or Bynes, then I really don't see a reason to bring him in considering he's not that great and he's a garbage human being on top of it.

This is my feeling as well.

I too feel "ok" with our ILB situation to a point where I wouldn't be uncomfortable with who we have, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled either. But I do think we add 1 more player, whether it's a Dansby or an earlier pick to the mix, so I think we'll be just fine.

But as for the Rolando McClain idea -- I just don't see any way that he truly helps us. I'd have trust in Ozzie if he decided to go that route, especially having the Alabama connections to really get an idea as to what kind of kid he is, but on the surface, I really don't see what benefit there is. At best, he's Jameel McClain with bad character and at worst he's a PR nigtmare. I just don't see the upside -- he hasn't shown anything to show he has one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

This is my feeling as well.

I too feel "ok" with our ILB situation to a point where I wouldn't be uncomfortable with who we have, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled either. But I do think we add 1 more player, whether it's a Dansby or an earlier pick to the mix, so I think we'll be just fine.

But as for the Rolando McClain idea -- I just don't see any way that he truly helps us. I'd have trust in Ozzie if he decided to go that route, especially having the Alabama connections to really get an idea as to what kind of kid he is, but on the surface, I really don't see what benefit there is. At best, he's Jameel McClain with bad character and at worst he's a PR nigtmare. I just don't see the upside -- he hasn't shown anything to show he has one.

When it comes to football, division wins, etc, it's no secret we all happily 'hate' each other (in football terms), but there's always, also been a very obvious respect. The biggest thing that causes me to respect the Ravens is that, like the Steelers, like the Patriots, they do not have a tolerance for b.s. When it comes to character issues, they handle them swiftly and do what they need to in order to be sure they never happen again. With 'known' head cases, both teams generally(not always) stay away.

The only thing imo that Rolando would add to your team is legal suits. Something that the Ravens are too smart to want to add. No matter how talented he is, and in my opinion he's not that talented, his character is going to make his suitors list very small and the Ravens won't be one of the teams upon it.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 1m
New #Ravens safety Michael Huff will wear No. 29, Cary Williams' old number.

I didn't think he was going to be able to get #24 from Graham.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
McClellan has always looked solid when he's gotten a chance to play. Bynes is a young guy who was sort of thrown into the fire last year without adequate preparation because of an injury crisis. He had his bad moments but he also played better the more he was on the field, which suggested to me that he was simply finding his feet a bit. I have confidence can play a positive role for us with an offseason to get coached up and prepared for a defensive role. Jameel McClain doesn't suck, he's just the definition of average.

Rolando McClain has had a lot of time in the league and has done nothing but suck, and he's got character concerns on top of that.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm just not all that worried about ILB. I think we'll end up adding someone through the draft to add to the rotation, particularly because I don't think Ayanbadejo is a lock to make the team out of camp. But even if we didn't add anyone, I just don't think it's a huge deal that we have unknowns at ILB. You don't need a 'name' at every position. ILB has diminished in its importance as a position in the league to begin with, and you can make those linebackers look better just by putting quality defensive linemen in front of them, which we've already done with a good and deep rotation of Ngata, Canty, Jones, McPhee, and Spears, with Tyson and maybe Cody getting snaps as well. And I think the signing of Dumervil may allow us to use Upshaw a little like we used to use Adalius Thomas and move him around, and I think we could see him move inside on passing downs from time to time.

Just because we had Ray Lewis, it doesn't mean as a franchsie we're sort of uniquely positioned to need some inspirational leader at ILB and a star. We can, and have, gotten by with rotational role players there who play well within the system. As a Ravens fan, I don't feel like I've ever had to fear the unknown that much. This is a team that put a 5th round rookie at safety with no competition and watched him grab 5 picks that year. We trusted a waiver-wire pickup and primarily special team player, former UDFA Cary Williams to be a starting corner and he produced for us. When Bart Scott left, we didn't really lift a finger trying to replace him, plugged in an UDFA rookie in Dannell Ellerbe and watched him play a terrific rookie year.

I've got faith in the system, and I just don't worry that much about the
fact that we've got guys who aren't seasoned but nonetheless have the faith of our coaching staff.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Dansby, because he strikes me as the kind of veteran who may have one those great last runs in him for a low price. But I don't think we need to feel so desperate at ILB that we need to go look at anyone with a pulse.

Pees talked about that yesterday on 105. 7 The Fans The Scott Garceau Show. This what he said about it, copied from today's LFW on baltimoreravens.com

Quote:
Many have wondered what the addition of outside linebacker Dumervil does for second-year outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw.

One possible move Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees could make is move Upshaw inside so both players could be on the field at the same time.

While its still too early to make the call, Pees didnt rule out the possibility.

Yeah, you never know, Pees said yesterday on 105. 7 The Fans The Scott Garceau Show. One of the things, the way we teach this defense is all the backers have to know all four spots.

Ive always told these guys, I dont want a good player on the sideline by me with a player out on the field that I dont think is as good because you cant play another position. Our guys have always learned a lot of different spots.

Still, Pees said he will start the OTAs and minicamps with Upshaw at outside linebacker and let him compete. The coordinator also said that with NFL offenses using spread offense so often in the last five or six years, the Ravens defense was in its sub-package 64 percent of the time last year.

In those sub-packages, more pass rushers are needed on the field.

[Y]ou cant have too many pass rushers, and we can find a way to get them all on the field, Pees said. We can scheme up some things to get all of those guys on the field. [T]heres going to be enough opportunity for everybody to play a lot of snaps. The more players you have, and the less plays they play, the fresher they are, the better they are.

I hope Pees uses Upshaw a little more creatively than the way he used Thomas while he was with New England. He used him at both ILB and OLB in the 3-4 and at OLB when they went 4-3... but he didn't get anywhere near as creative as Rex did with him. I'm aware Upshaw isn't the freak that Thomas was but he is gifted and capable enough of playing in various positions across the front seven. DB suggested using Upshaw at 34 DE on pass rushing situations in a role similar to how South Carolina used Melvin Ingram in 2011. That's another great example of how Upshaw could be used next year. I'm just afraid Pees isn't that creative because if he was, other than putting him at DT on occasion, we probably would've seen him do more than he did with him last season. But I suppose that could've been because he was in his rookie year and he didn't want to give him too much he couldn't handle. Prove me wrong Pees and give everyone dj vu of Adalius Thomas playing in Baltimore.

This is what next year's rotation could look like:

1st down/starting line-up:
Suggs------ILB----------ILB------Dumervil
-------Canty-----Ngata-----Jones

2nd down/rushing downs:
Suggs-----ILB-------------ILB------Upshaw
-------Spears-----Cody-----Jones

3rd down/pass rushing downs:
Suggs--------------ILB -----------------ILB------------------Dumervil
-------Upshaw/Canty ----- Ngata ----- Upshaw/McPhee

Pees also talked about Jimmy Smith while he was on 105.7 The Fan:

Quote:
Im really excited about Jimmy [Smith, CB], Pees said. I know theres been some things written and said and Im not in agreement with very many of them. I think this guy is going to be an outstanding player. Hes got the size, the speed, the range, hes an intelligent football player. I think those [Super Bowl] plays right there are gonna go an awful long way for him. I think hes a tremendous talent. Ive seen a difference in him already here in the offseason. This guy has been around here all winter.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: