Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vince Young?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of shaun hill would be a dire mistake. Sure, Stafford has managed to stay healthy but I still d9nt feel comfortable saying he'll be healthy for 16 games. Moore is crap, Young is crap and there are no other backups available. Hill is not going anywhere this year (pending some kind of trade offer)

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Getting rid of shaun hill would be a dire mistake. Sure, Stafford has managed to stay healthy but I still d9nt feel comfortable saying he'll be healthy for 16 games. Moore is crap, Young is crap and there are no other backups available. Hill is not going anywhere this year (pending some kind of trade offer)

What are the Lions worth with Shaun Hill starting at quarterback?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

What are they worth? Monetary value? I have no idea. Hill is a very capable individual who can hold the offense together in Staffords absence. He wont be an all pro or out up gaudy numbers but he knows how to run the offense well and doesnt create turnovers often

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I'm a little torn on the matter. If Hill has to start for 2-3 games, I think we can win with him. If we have Hill in for 5+ games, forget it, the season's toast. That's what backups are really for. Kellen Moore is actually so bad I'm pretty sure we don't have a chance to win any games as long as he's under center. If we had any other option at all, I wouldn't mind cutting Hill, but I'm betting we keep him.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I'm a little torn on the matter. If Hill has to start for 2-3 games, I think we can win with him. If we have Hill in for 5+ games, forget it, the season's toast. That's what backups are really for. Kellen Moore is actually so bad I'm pretty sure we don't have a chance to win any games as long as he's under center. If we had any other option at all, I wouldn't mind cutting Hill, but I'm betting we keep him.

That's the point, I've got faith in Hill as a Band-aid, but that's it. That's what backups are for, but to me they're just not worth $3m+ to me. I guess the only scenario I would see Hill reaching that value is if, we're in the Super Bowl and we've got a 10 point lead at the half and Stafford gets injured and we need a QB to come in and 'not screw it up'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

Thats the issue there is I dont think theres a viable option that would fare any better. However, I dont think it would be a disaster if he started 5+. I dont think we would have a good season but I dont think itd be a disaster either.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

Thats the issue there is I dont think theres a viable option that would fare any better. However, I dont think it would be a disaster if he started 5+. I dont think we would have a good season but I dont think itd be a disaster either.

What's the difference between a "Disaster" season and a "Not good" season?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

The 6 to 8 win range. Disaster being less than 6.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I'm pretty sure NFL owners would pay $3m for 3+ wins per year, but I'm positive the money could be better spent on keeping our star QB on the field and get more wins for that money.

How about we use that $3m we're paying Hill to sign an average backup QB at league minimum and then go out and bring in a capable veteran Offensive Lineman to our depleted group to mayybbeee, keep Stafford on his feet and healthy for a 16 game season. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I'm pretty sure NFL owners would pay $3m for 3+ wins per year, but I'm positive the money could be better spent on keeping our star QB on the field and get more wins for that money.

How about we use that $3m we're paying Hill to sign an average backup QB at league minimum and then go out and bring in a capable veteran Offensive Lineman to our depleted group to mayybbeee, keep Stafford on his feet and healthy for a 16 game season. Just a thought.

You speak as though that would be a definite. That is the issue. 3mill to shaun hill is a lot like paying for short term life insurance. Is it a definite that you'll see the positive from it? No but at the same time if you cancelled your policy and invested that money into say more vitamins and more frequent check ups. Could you say with 100% certainty that those vitamins and check ups will prevent you from dying thus rendering the insurance policy useless?

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

You speak as though that would be a definite. That is the issue. 3mill to shaun hill is a lot like paying for short term life insurance. Is it a definite that you'll see the positive from it? No but at the same time if you cancelled your policy and invested that money into say more vitamins and more frequent check ups. Could you say with 100% certainty that those vitamins and check ups will prevent you from dying thus rendering the insurance policy useless?

I'm not saying we should cancel our insurance policy. I'm advocating that we get a new, cheaper insurance policy with less coverage and quit smoking and eating junk food. I know, easier said than done right? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I'm not saying we should cancel our insurance policy. I'm advocating that we get a new, cheaper insurance policy with less coverage and quit smoking and eating junk food. I know, easier said than done right? Laughing

Lmfao well even then would you feel comfortable knowing that youre insurance policy would then rely upon smoking and bad eating habits being th3 cause of death?

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
LionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

Lmfao well even then would you feel comfortable knowing that youre insurance policy would then rely upon smoking and bad eating habits being th3 cause of death?

Of course I could get struck by lightning or eaten by a shark, but I'm willing to take my chances.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is the Detroit Lions season is won or lost with Stafford at QB. Without him this team isn't going anywhere.

We pay veteran minimum at a number of other positions for backups and a number of starters get paid less than Hill. I realize the argument will be the QB position is more valuable but my opinion is the money is better invested in starters.

The team needs an experienced backup and if one could be found for less money than Hill I'm all for it. I was hoping he would have been traded for a pick then sign a vet for minimum. That, to me, is better. The less money riding the pine the better.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: