Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihoxhaj23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Draft Question Reply with quote

Hey guys. Love the Michael Huff Signing. Definitely versatile and cheap and Ozzie is doing a great job so far.

Quick Question. With the dearth of picks that we have this year, do any of you also think we draft up and grab our left tackle of the future. I know its a long shot and that Ozzie likes more picks rather than less. But with 12 picks this year, close to the same next year with all of the comp picks that we are getting, I feel as though trading up to grab a Lane Johnson or if for some reason Eric Fischer falls to like 14 or 15.

Also what do you think it would take to do something like that?
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Question Reply with quote

ihoxhaj23 wrote:
Hey guys. Love the Michael Huff Signing. Definitely versatile and cheap and Ozzie is doing a great job so far.

Quick Question. With the dearth of picks that we have this year, do any of you also think we draft up and grab our left tackle of the future. I know its a long shot and that Ozzie likes more picks rather than less. But with 12 picks this year, close to the same next year with all of the comp picks that we are getting, I feel as though trading up to grab a Lane Johnson or if for some reason Eric Fischer falls to like 14 or 15.

I would bet a large sum of money that neither of them fall past 14. Large sum of money.

Even with the dearth of picks we have it would be far too expensive according to the TVC to climb up that far in the 1st round to nab either of these guys.

Just wouldn't be worth it.

Especially since LT isn't our only need.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Question Reply with quote

ihoxhaj23 wrote:

1. I think we've probably got about the same chance of trading up for a falling LT as we Frodo Baggins had of being a hobbit and saving Middle Earth from an evil godlike figure... probably like 0.5% chance. That said, Frodo Baggins did save Middle Earth and therefore it's conceivable that we COULD trade up for a LT if one falls far enough in the draft where we might see the perfect team on the board that has few picks in the draft and is willing to lose substantial value in a trade down because a) they want more picks and b) they value the depth of this draft over the top talents, like many seem to believe will be the case. To compare this draft, it seems like it's similar to the 08' draft with Flacco where we traded down with the Jaguars from pick #8 to pick #26 and only got two 3rds and and a 4th in the deal because the talent at the top wasn't very appealing.

2. So that being said, if Lane Johnson falls to pick 14 and that selection is up for grabs by someone who really wants to move out of that spot, if they can't find suitors (as most teams apparently wouldn't want to trade up) then us offering a similar deal of two 3rds and a 4th might be what it would take to move up... if we're to subscribe to the theory that has one believe teams are going to want to move down, but not up in this draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lane Johnson goes off the board no later than 7. But supposing he makes it to 12 or 13, that's way too big of a move. We'd have to give up next year's 1st for sure.

Free Ray Rice
dcarey20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I think we've probably got about the same chance of trading up for a falling LT as we Frodo Baggins had of being a hobbit and saving Middle Earth from an evil godlike figure... probably like 0.5% chance. That said, Frodo Baggins did save Middle Earth and therefore it's conceivable that we COULD trade up for a LT if one falls far enough in the draft where we might see the perfect team on the board that has few picks in the draft and is willing to lose substantial value in a trade down because a) they want more picks and b) they value the depth of this draft over the top talents, like many seem to believe will be the case. To compare this draft, it seems like it's similar to the 08' draft with Flacco where we traded down with the Jaguars from pick #8 to pick #26 and only got two 3rds and and a 4th in the deal because the talent at the top wasn't very appealing.

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

1) Thats still way too big of a jump that would take giving away way too many quality picks

2) Dearth means the opposite of what you're thinking it does. It means scarce, not plentiful. Sorry, its just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Laughing

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Dark ops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will either stand pat and take BPA at #32 or trade down.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see us moving up into the early-mid 20s, but any higher than that and I doubt the return would justify the investment.

This draft is so fluid, the only guys worth trading 3 or more pick to get are Joeckel and Fisher, but we'd likely need to move into the top 4-5 picks to make that happen.

Johnson is a nice prospect, but he's shifted positions so many times since high school that he's a huge risk if you want him to be a franchise LT.

And Watson could probably be had without trading up at all, but he also presents a huge risk with his limited experience playing football.

To give an example of a similar draft trade made recently, the Falcons traded 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 4th to move up from the bottom of round 1 into the top 5 picks for Julio Jones. It's worked for them so far, but trading future 1sts rarely works for the team that does it.

Ozzie isn't mortgaging the next two drafts like that for any player. He got burned doing it for Boller, and has said repeatedly over the years since that he'd never do it again so we can forget about that as an option.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Question Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
1. I think we've probably got about the same chance of trading up for a falling LT as we Frodo Baggins had of being a hobbit and saving Middle Earth from an evil godlike figure... probably like 0.5% chance. That said, Frodo Baggins did save Middle Earth and therefore it's conceivable that we COULD trade up for a LT if one falls far enough in the draft

Best quote EVER! /dead serious!
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
2) Dearth means the opposite of what you're thinking it does. It means scarce, not plentiful. Sorry, its just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Laughing

Haha, thank you for this. I had used the word yesterday in a post of mine, and for a second after reading the original post here, I had to go back and Google search it to make sure I had used it correctly. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: