Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints interested in Tracy Porter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
You're acting like he's being brought in here to start, at most he'd be our 4th CB behind Lewis, Robinson and Greer.


So he'll have even less opportunities to create turnovers. Your argument is getting weaker and weaker.

Robinson has created more turnovers than Porter on a per game over the past 2 seasons. Yet somehow we need Porter because we don't have anyone who creates turnovers?

You're severely overestimating Porter's big play ability. He has it, sure. I think you're expecting 2009 Porter, which was pretty clearly a fluke season.

Yeah, of course he'd get less opportunities as a backup, that doesn't negate the fact that he's shown he can make plays on the ball. Quite frankly, I think he's much better suited to a zone scheme but he'd still provide us with a playmaker, not to mention he's a threat with the ball in his hands.


So he's a playmaker, but Robinson isn't? Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21667
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider both of them playmakers, contrary to what I said earlier. Robinson did get targeted a ridiculous amount this past season though.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I'd consider both of them playmakers, contrary to what I said earlier. Robinson did get targeted a ridiculous amount this past season though.


And Greer? He had the same number of picks as Robinson last season, playing in 2 less games.

All in all, my point isn't that we don't have room for Porter, or even that it's a bad idea to bring him in. I just don't get you putting Porter into some playmaker category on his own, when Greer and Robinson both create turnovers more, or close to as frequently as Porter has in recent times.

Like I said, I think you're still judging him based on his 2009 season, and the fact is that season was a fluke. Hell, Vilma, Shanle and Will Smith combined for 6 INTS that season. Old as dirt Darren Sharper nearly led the league in INTS, and he did lead the league in INT TDs and yards, IIRC.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21667
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to say that season was a fluke when he's been injured every year since? Heck, he missed 4 games that season as well. He's shown the IQ to jump routes, the hands to catch balls and playmaking ability after the catch. His big concerns are his health and at times, he gives up too much cushion. He'd be a solid depth signing. I'd prefer Nnamdi regardless but people acting like Porter was some scrub here need to rewatch some of his games.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
What's to say that season was a fluke when he's been injured every year since? Heck, he missed 4 games that season as well. He's shown the IQ to jump routes, the hands to catch balls and playmaking ability after the catch. His big concerns are his health and at times, he gives up too much cushion. He'd be a solid depth signing. I'd prefer Nnamdi regardless but people acting like Porter was some scrub here need to rewatch some of his games.


Because our entire defense was playing above and beyond that season. Shanle had 2 picks, Vilma had 3 (tied a career high), Sharper had 9 (tied a career high at age 34).

It happens, players have a huge seasons and never match it again. Nothing about his play outside of 1 of his 5 seasons tells me he's a special playmaker. He has the ability to make a play from time to time, but so do other players. Hopefully other players who can tackle and aren't bed ridden half the year. Wink

Like I said, we can bring him on for depth and he'd be great. But let's not make it out like he's some defensive weapon that we've been missing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaintsBeast


Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of issues with various points throughout the thread.

A) Malcolm Jenkins

Jenkins is a deep center-fielder kinda safety, i think we can all agree on that. He can't tackle too well, but that shouldn't be his job, because of his playing style.

There were times last year, like this play here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pirBDRZNQc (watch from 37 seconds)

where Jenkins was the only person making any plays. Last year's D was AWFUL.

B) Tracy Porter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHk9rc4hHc

All i have to say. When you get thrown a full FIVE yards...
Yeah.
_________________

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:
B) Tracy Porter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHk9rc4hHc

All i have to say. When you get thrown a full FIVE yards...
Yeah.


And NO effort to get back into the play. He got embarrassed and gave up.

Also, the commentator. Laughing

"Let's give it to LeGarrette Blount again and just pretend it's 2 years ago."

Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group