Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kudos to Lombardi/Banner in FA!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
dawgpound1816 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
What is everyones obssesion with a guard? If we draft a guard in the first or third, I'll be irate.

People over value the guard position big time. We have a stud LT, C, and a very promising RT.

Pinkston is an unknown health-wise and neither Greco & Luavo are consistent pass blocking or run blocking. I don't care if 1 of them suck, but with Ponkston unknown, and those 2 starting. I'd rather be prepped for protecting our investments. That's why.

Pink isn't an unknown. The clot issue was resolved and he was cleared to start working out on December 5, 2012.

https://twitter.com/JasonPinkstonOL/status/276389514803572736

Well Thank You Ditch for the knowledge of Pinkston being able to workout. I need to get a twitter acct. but playing isn't my worry as much as travel. When you have had a pulmonary embolism, you are more susceptible to getting another more often than others by.....travel. If they say....he's clear to play and travel with the team. Then I'll believe he's playing this year. Even Mary Kay said in an interview in January that Pinkston will be surprised if he's even able to play half this upcoming season. It takes on average a year before being able to play again. It's not a ligament or tendon. This is his blood were talking about. He's probably been on kumaton (crazy intense blood thinner) for a longtime, and I don't know how long he'll be on that. If he gets hit on the field or something worse, he basically turns into a hemofeeliac. To soon to say. I hope I'm wrong b/c I like Pinkston a lot.

He will be on an anti coagulant, the medication we use here is warfarin, it canbe cleared an dmonitored easily and quickly.
It wouldn't surprise me if the doctors run him on a shorter course of it so he can play sooner, it would increase the risk of reoccurrence but there are other methods of prevention that are effective that could be utilised to promote his return and health and safety.
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Jason Campbell to FA list and he was a 1st rd pick. Chud stated he is a veteran with leadership qualities. 8 FA signings with 3-4 possible starters is a job well done.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jury is still out on Lombardi/Banner until we see how they draft.
I must say, though, tat I like how they've handled FA. We got a few starters,
a few depth guys, and a good QB to throw into the mix. Much more
exciting than watching Heckert/Holmgren do essentially nothing until
the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
the draft.

+1. Well said
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3HeadedMonster wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
the draft.

+1. Well said

Not that we need to defend H/H since they are history, but there are stages to building a team. They essentialy built the base through the draft, we don't know how Heckert would have treated this free agency, he may have thought it was time to complete the project and went after players. I won't damn them for the growing pains we suffered because I think the end result will be pretty good. I like this team, I think we make the playoffs this year or come really close (lose a tiebreaker for a wildcard).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
3HeadedMonster wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
the draft.

+1. Well said

Not that we need to defend H/H since they are history, but there are stages to building a team. They essentialy built the base through the draft, we don't know how Heckert would have treated this free agency, he may have thought it was time to complete the project and went after players. I won't damn them for the growing pains we suffered because I think the end result will be pretty good. I like this team, I think we make the playoffs this year or come really close (lose a tiebreaker for a wildcard).

Agreed, and I'm not really slamming them because I like H&H and think they had us on the right track, but man, free agency was excruciatingly boring under them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
3HeadedMonster wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
the draft.

+1. Well said

Agreed, and I'm not really slamming them because I like H&H and think they had us on the right track, but man, free agency was excruciatingly boring under them.

Very true, but if it wasn't, we wouldn't have the money to spend that we do now.

Although, we also likely wouldn't have been as bad as we were the last couple years.

Really nothing is going to get accomplished until we get a QB. I can't blame H&H for us not having one, even for passing on Wilson. It's not like he was viewed as some sure thing. If he was, he wouldn't have been picked where he was.

Clearly nothing at QB has been available in FA or trade for a few years.

And right now with our new owner and front office, nothing is available to them either. FA QBs are junk, nothing really available in a legit trade unless they wanted to take a stab at Mallett (which I would be perfectly fine with...........pick 6 for Mallett, their 1st, and their 2014 1st???? yeah baby, no way they do it though), and I don't like any QBs in the 1st round of this draft. Well, not pick 6 anyway. Not big on Geno. Not high on Barkley at all.

Just like last year since we were unable to trade up for Luck or RG3, I want to trade down and pick up another 1st for 2014. If a QB is there we love, then we can go get him. If not, do the same damn thing for 2015 and keep doing it until we get a legit stud QB.

Until then, just spinning our wheels in the mud.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
brooks1957

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ill feelings toward Mike Lombardi because of his past performance is irrelevant. That was a lifetime ago, by NFL standards.

I am pleased with the steps taken in free agency so far, and especially the one we did NOT take - i.e. severely overpaying for veterans just because we had the cash to do it........Mike Wallace

Anyway, once we get a full off season or two under our belt, we will be able to fairly judge his impact, but so far so good.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boblight22 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
I like the Kruger signing

Like Bryant

However..

Neither of those tight ends r anywhere near rock solid.

Nor do either of those Cbs fill the hole we have

The things I like best:

1. We got two SOLID - and likely impact starters in Bryant and Kruger.
2. We added depth at CB in two guys that we are giving an opportunity to prove their merit and sign a long term deals next year
3. We did not overspend by typical market standards for FA.
You can say that Kruger is overpaid at 8 mil per, but we front loaded his deal - and he plays one of the most important positions in the NFL - pass rusher.
4. We did not shoot out load on players like the Dolphins, and will likely be players in free agency next year too.

I cannot believe the Dolphins lost their LT, then payed a big contract out to Ellerbe - a MLB. Then they paid Mike Wallace 13 mil per after resigning Harline to a pretty large deal as well (can't remember the exact figure).
The Browns made some sensible signings and set themselves up.

we got two players who played well in their contract years

FA is usually never worth it. im not excited about much, but im not really dissappointed since we had so much space its not gonna sacrifice our future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: