Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Jake Locker Still Your Guy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Is Jake Locker Still Your Guy? Reply with quote

After the season concluded this year, I couldn't help but be dissapointed with Locker's season. With the injury and inconsistency with accuracy, it was hard to say that Locker's second year gave us fans much optimism.

But the offseason has given me time to ponder Locker's situation.

The line was awful. Once known for great pass protection, the line allowed pressure in Locker's face pretty often. They didn't allow an unusual amount of sacks (some in part to the use of Locker's mobility), but it was obvious that Jake wasn't comfortable in the pocket.

He didn't have much help in the running game. Chris Johnson's numbers were a little inflated due to his ability to hit the home run. Often times CJ was getting tackled behind the LOS and then, occasionally, would break off a long run. That's not the kind of running game you want with a young QB. Guys like Rivers (LT), Ryan (Turner), Flacco (Rice), Roethlisberger (Bettis, Parker), Manning (E. James), etc. all had consistent RB's in terms of YPC. With that said, I'm not blaming Chris Johnson. I still think he can be the consistent back he once was with this new (and yet to be) improved offensive line. Going back to "Titans smash mouth football" is going to help Locker's development tremendously, IMO.

Switching OC's last year probably didn't help either. I'm not saying that Palmer deserved to be here any longer (didn't care much for him), but we can all agree he really wasn't the problem with the team last year. I hope Loggains is the correct choice here. No real experience as a play caller (besides the few games he had in 2012), but everyone has to start somewhere I guess.

So basically I still think he can be "our guy" for the future. He has things that you just cant teach (Arm strength, mobility, heart, and work ethic), but has issues that need to be addressed (we all know what that is).

Most of you have probably seen this, but this video highlights the positives of his game from last season:

http://youtu.be/TNgGQA5j_PE

I came away pretty impressed with his highlights from the video. I forgot all the good things he did, and focused more on the negatives.

So what do you think? Is he still "your guy", or was Locker's disappointing performance last year enough for you to consider taking a QB early next April? I know what most will say, "Jake has next season to prove himself or he is gone", but is 3 seasons enough to consider your QB a bust? Should he have a below average season (with some positives but many negatives) would you be ready to move on?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him to be. I really do.

But from what I saw last season, he's not it. Maybe the shoulder affected him a lot more than I thought. Maybe the offensive playcalling was atrocious.

But I didn't really come away thinking "This guy can be top 5 in the league" like I had with Young.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
I want him to be. I really do.

But from what I saw last season, he's not it. Maybe the shoulder affected him a lot more than I thought. Maybe the offensive playcalling was atrocious.

But I didn't really come away thinking "This guy can be top 5 in the league" like I had with Young.

You really thought VY was going to be top 5 QB? Shocked

Anyway I still believe Locker can be our guy. Like OP said he had alot going against him. He needs to improve but I still think he can be our guy.
TitanJo33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him to be our guy and I'm sure he knows this season he's really gotta show what he's got , but if he sucks the first half of the season I'm sure we'll see Fitzpatrick no doubt.. But I hope he proves everyone wrong..

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the second best #10 Titan in recent memory...and by a very far margin.

He was painful to watch last year. I am hoping that he turns a corner this year, I really am. I expect him to, to be honest. But it will come as no surprise to me if he is not the answer long-term.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the "Vince was so much better" stuff. Vince wasn't much, if any better at throwing the ball in his first two years than Jake. The only difference was VY in crunch time. But with that said, Jake had a couple of games last year where he came close to leading us back. The Houston game pops in to mind with Wright dropping the perfect passes.

He did those "near comebacks" with a 5th string offensive line and a shoulder that required surgery. Kind of unfair to judge him as bad. We're still in wait and see mode.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Locker is still our guy. All he needs is some stability so he can develop properly. First address that interior O-line, then get our running game back on track, and install a solid offensive system that he can operate until he makes it his own.

The link below is what I said on a previous post concerning Locker's lackluster performance last season.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15929990&highlight=#15929990
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Locker to be our guy he can be our guy he just needs to be avke to take over a game from the pocket. The Detroit game last year was prob his best he needs to be that guy. Making throws picking up first downs throwing TDs he needs to win games from the pocket. Fitzpatrick will push Locker to play better if he doesnt Locker will be benched

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Wilky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Next question.

Deeeeej on the sig.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can stay healthy for 16 games next season, it will go along way in terms of evaluating his progress. Its kind of hard to grade a guy, or label him a bust, when he injures his shoulder (pretty significantly, btw) week 1 of the season. Add that to the list of other issues on offense, and its not hard to see why he may of struggled last year.

He's shown flashes of great football, but with that came plays from him that left me scratching my head. I would've liked to have seen a few more "Wow" plays, especially in "clutch time". That was one thing that the other #10 did have. That clutch factor.

But Locker is a competitor. He isn't a headcase like Young. He doesn't care about the money or any of the other BS (Passed up on millions to go back to school). I have no doubt that he is gonna work on his issues. Whether or not he can improve those issues (in a timely fashion) is unknown, but it won't be for a lack of trying. That atleast gives me hope.

Idk...Lets just hope by this time next year there won't be debate as to whether he is our franchise QB or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want V.Y back!
VYoung10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekfelty wrote:
I want V.Y back!

To play DE?

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
justing101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locker plays first 3 quarters then put in VY in the 4th Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Locker's first off-season as the #1 team QB. Let's see what a full training camp with the first string looks like.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan 7 Zach Mettenberger
OwNaGe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locker can be a top 10 QB in the league. Just gotta give him some time guys! Jeez, as patient as you all were with VY, be patient with Locker. I see some serious talent and potential there. I think this year will show that Locker will be the man in TN for years to come.

My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: