Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Moore
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 11036
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Seriously, can we just build an offensive line organically for once? How many FA guards have to burn us?


Our scouting department pays little-to-no attention to offensive line prospects, so it's very hard to build through the draft when the mindset is go on the cheap every step of the way, act like we're "trying" to find o-linemen by throwing the occasional mid- or late-round draft pick at a player whom fans know isn't worth the selection, and then overpay a free agent when it doesn't work while publicly stating, "See? We tried. But dag gummit, it just didn't work."

And repeat.


I disagree with the comments about the scouts. You have no way of knowing whether or not our scouting department "pays little-to-no attention to offensive line prospects". Just because we have only taken 1 OL with a premium pick, does not mean that we are ignoring them.

One perfect example of our sacouts having an OL rated almost perfectly is Max Unger. It was well known that if he had been there at #51 in 2009, we were going to take him. Seattle took him at #49, so we traded down and had the worst draft in team history. Whether or not the rest of our draft would've gone differently if Unger had been available is impossible to say. Obviously, our scouts did their homework on him though. In fact, it is highly doubtful that this was the only time an OL prospect our scouts liked was taken before our pick.
_________________


"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 4120
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
cowboyschill wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Seriously, can we just build an offensive line organically for once? How many FA guards have to burn us?


Seriously, the starting OL's of BAL and SF and PIT and ATL etc. consist of 80-100% draft picks. Why can't we emulate that instead of resorting to signing JAG's every year and pinning our hopes on scrub UDFA's like Parnell and Leary and Kowalski?


Because some people on this site think it is laughable to copy winning franchises methods. They would say something to the effect of "Oh look, they are winning, let's copy them!"

Personally, I think that mindset is laughable. I agree with you. Build thru the draft.


Couldn't agree more. What I find particularly laughable is the notion that continuity on an offensive line will overcome talent, meaning that if our current line stays together they will somehow mesh into a cohesive unit. Continuity is important but so is talent. In Livings and Bernadeau, and to some extent Costa, we have players who have hit their ceiling talent wise. We could have all pro tackles yet the interior would still be a mess. We have to upgrade the guard and center positions. Poor players will remain poor players. Trash doesn't evolve into anything more than trash. Costa is a solid back up, but Livings and Bernadeau are awful and need to go.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 20859
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Seriously, can we just build an offensive line organically for once? How many FA guards have to burn us?


Our scouting department pays little-to-no attention to offensive line prospects, so it's very hard to build through the draft when the mindset is go on the cheap every step of the way, act like we're "trying" to find o-linemen by throwing the occasional mid- or late-round draft pick at a player whom fans know isn't worth the selection, and then overpay a free agent when it doesn't work while publicly stating, "See? We tried. But dag gummit, it just didn't work."

And repeat.


I disagree with the comments about the scouts. You have no way of knowing whether or not our scouting department "pays little-to-no attention to offensive line prospects". Just because we have only taken 1 OL with a premium pick, does not mean that we are ignoring them.

One perfect example of our sacouts having an OL rated almost perfectly is Max Unger. It was well known that if he had been there at #51 in 2009, we were going to take him. Seattle took him at #49, so we traded down and had the worst draft in team history. Whether or not the rest of our draft would've gone differently if Unger had been available is impossible to say. Obviously, our scouts did their homework on him though. In fact, it is highly doubtful that this was the only time an OL prospect our scouts liked was taken before our pick.


I'm looking at the team's entire body of work, ht. Our track record with o-linemen is very poor, which leads to the strong possibility that we don't place enough emphasis in that area because the people in charge don't value the positions. One player, Max Unger, does not compensate for years of failed picks or blatantly ignoring the area until the very late rounds when flyers are thrown at JAGs.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group