Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft hits and misses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits:
Conceding the Panthers would select Cam Newton, I argued vehemently for the Broncos to select J.J. Watt.

Misses:
Not strong evaluator of Offensive Tackles. Felt Gabe Carimi would be a top caliber Right Tackle. Didn't like Duane Brown.
Joe Willie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more:

Hit: I thought Sanchez was terrible and literally turned off the draft (my favorite day of the year) when we took him.

Hit: I thought Mangold was the steal of the Draft. Everybody watching with me was pissed when Jonathan Stewart went two picks prior.

Hit: I was pushing hard for the Jets to get Von Miller at #30 when he was still being mocked at the end of the first/beginning of the second. I saw him as the best player in the draft. Everybody else eventually figured it out after his Combine and stuff, but I was super high on him very early.

Miss: I thought we made a huge mistake taking Coples over Melvin Ingram

Miss: I thought Leon Hall was a better prospect than Revis and really wanted him. Hall is a terrific CB, but he's no Revis.

Miss: I thought Glenn Dorsey should have gone #1 and would be a beast for years.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Willie wrote:
A couple more:

Hit: I thought Sanchez was terrible and literally turned off the draft (my favorite day of the year) when we took him.

Hit: I thought Mangold was the steal of the Draft. Everybody watching with me was pissed when Jonathan Stewart went two picks prior.

Hit: I was pushing hard for the Jets to get Von Miller at #30 when he was still being mocked at the end of the first/beginning of the second. I saw him as the best player in the draft. Everybody else eventually figured it out after his Combine and stuff, but I was super high on him very early.

Miss: I thought Leon Hall was a better prospect than Revis and really wanted him. Hall is a terrific CB, but he's no Revis.

Miss: I thought Glenn Dorsey should have gone #1 and would be a beast for years.

What are you talking about? Von Miller had 17 sacks his Junior season and was talked as one of the top prospects in his draft class.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
MP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=409671&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www2.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=463130&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

We all got some hits, we all got some misses.
It's always funny to look back and see what you were thinking, what was fresh in your mind at said time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:

What are you talking about? Von Miller had 17 sacks his Junior season and was talked as one of the top prospects in his draft class.

A lot of people were calling him a one trick pony that feasted on inferior competition. Granted Gholston and Maybin were infecting people at the time, but a lot didn't like him where as some loved him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Willie wrote:
A couple more:

I could be wrong but I think you mean DeAngelo Williams.
Joe Willie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I meant. Brainfart.
tinoynk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also a big fan of Justin Houston.

I loved Russell Wilson since he was at NC State. Didn't see him having this kind of success right away though.

I thought Bradford wouldn't set the world on fire right out of the gate; he surprised me his rookie year but since then has been pretty much exactly what I expected.

Unfortunately, I also thought Jimmy Clausen wasn't far behind him Crying or Very sad

I saw the Gholston bust coming a mile away, though I tried to convince myself that dominating Jake Long was a good enough sign.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:

I loved Russell Wilson since he was at NC State. Didn't see him having this kind of success right away though.

It's crazy how the draft works because I loved Russell Wilson. But if I had to pick the QB he most reminded me of, it would have been Troy Smith. I loved him coming out of college too and he never made it in the NFL. But his game and Wilson's game in college were extremely similar.

Amazing how one guy is an immediate stud and the other guys struggles as a backup, gets a few starts and never makes it.

- Cliff Burton
JMG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits:
Justin Houston
Darrelle Revis(I cried when we got him, I was so happy)
Vernon Gholston(I through a bottle of Svedka off my deck, it was full)

Misses:
Mark Sanchez(Thought he would be better than Stafford and a Top 10 QB)
Muhammad Wilkerson(I through a bottle of wine off my deck, it was also full Laughing )

[]_[] Family
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Houston though if I recall was he failed his drug test at the combine, which caused his drop out of the first round. That was the year the Jets picked Wilkerson in the first, but had no second round choice because of the Cromartie trade. I bet he would have been a Jet if they had their pick in the late second.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
Hits:
Justin Houston

Misses:
Muhammad Wilkerson(I through a bottle of wine off my deck, it was also full Laughing )

Err how old were you then?
JMG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
Hits:
Justin Houston

Misses:

15 maybe 16? Laughing

I wanted Houston so bad and never though he would've made it to the Jets pick, when he did and we took Wilk, I flipped out, haha.

[]_[] Family
green24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
Hits:
Justin Houston

Misses:

15 maybe 16? Laughing

I wanted Houston so bad and never though he would've made it to the Jets pick, when he did and we took Wilk, I flipped out, haha.

Gholston was 5 years ago. Laughing

Houston almost made it to us in the third. Even if he did, I'm not sure we would have taken him.
JMG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
Hits:
Justin Houston

Misses:

15 maybe 16? Laughing

Gholston was 5 years ago. Laughing

Houston almost made it to us in the third. Even if he did, I'm not sure we would have taken him.
Oh, read it wrong Embarassed

But I think I was in middle school and I was freaking out because I knew the Jets took him because they were afraid of him if he went to New England the next pick.

[]_[] Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: