Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Back by popular demand....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been well documented that the Cowboys are about as tight against the cap as any team can be. It's been equally well documented that the Cowboys have three main levers with which they can get under the cap: Signing Tony Romo to an extension, finding a way to have Doug Free count less against the cap and signing Anthony Spencer to a contract extension.

Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan reports that the Cowboys are working on the latter option, and are trying to get a deal done with Spencer:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/3/22/4136060/cowboys-getting-close-to-extending-anthony-spencer

Quote:
“This guy scares me so much,” Brown said. “I’m just talking about the way he plays the position. (It) is like a kamikaze. He is so physical and so out of control at times. The problem with that is that when you’re dealing with a guy who is 6-3, 6-4 who has a pretty large frame, it’s almost impossible to protect this guy if he is not going to protect himself.”

Brown’s main point of contention was that at times Bryant fought too hard for extra yardage and took unnecessary shots.

“You have to figure out, ‘How can I play this game for 16 weeks or 20 weeks or whatever, and be healthy week in and week out,’ ” Brown said. “Is it possible? Absolutely it’s possible. But I have to smart about when I fight for yards. When it’s one guy fight. When it’s two guys maybe not. When it’s three guys, man get your butt down.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/tim-brown-cowboys-receiver-dez-bryant-scares-me-plays-position-like-a-kamikaze.html/
Quote:

“We had a lot of the SMU coaches come over and help us with our camp, so I’ve known him close to 20 years now,” Garrett said. “He’s a good friend. We had an opportunity to work together with Nick Saban in Miami. I was coaching the quarterbacks and he was coaching the tight ends. We maintained that friendship.

“One of the things that is really interesting about Derek is that he grew up in a football family. He grew up on the sidelines of University of Georgia football. He just has a lot of knowledge and wisdom about the game. He’s coached a lot of positions.”

Jones liked that Dooley could come in immediately and incorporate some of his ideas from the college game.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Depth-Of-Dooley%E2%80%99s-Football-Knowledge-Caught-Garrett%E2%80%99s-Eye/a554b14f-814e-4da4-85ce-aadd299fe223
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little old but really summarizes how we end up with 6-10, 8-8, 8-8 and why we're trying to stay competitive and rebuild at the same time:

Quote:
Trades that happen 5 years ago have a profound impact on what you are able to do in 2013 and 2014. Why? Because, those picks that you give away in 2008 for the 2009 draft should be the heart and soul of your team in 2013.

And it if isn't? Then, you have cap issues and holes on your roster that you cannot afford to fix...

...now the book is fully closed on the entire 2009 draft, assuming Victor Butler isn't retained which is highly unlikely. A grand total of 1,935 snaps were taken by 12 draft picks in their entire careers here in Dallas.

As a comparison, the 2012 class is already at 1,582 snaps in just 1 season.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/03/2009-draft-dead-horse-on-roster.html
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Quote:
“This guy scares me so much,” Brown said. “I’m just talking about the way he plays the position. (It) is like a kamikaze. He is so physical and so out of control at times. The problem with that is that when you’re dealing with a guy who is 6-3, 6-4 who has a pretty large frame, it’s almost impossible to protect this guy if he is not going to protect himself.”

Brown’s main point of contention was that at times Bryant fought too hard for extra yardage and took unnecessary shots.

“You have to figure out, ‘How can I play this game for 16 weeks or 20 weeks or whatever, and be healthy week in and week out,’ ” Brown said. “Is it possible? Absolutely it’s possible. But I have to smart about when I fight for yards. When it’s one guy fight. When it’s two guys maybe not. When it’s three guys, man get your butt down.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/tim-brown-cowboys-receiver-dez-bryant-scares-me-plays-position-like-a-kamikaze.html/

I call it passion. Last time I saw that in ANY WR...the Playmaker.

In Redball I Trust!
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Quote:

I agree with you TO7 that it is passion for the game and something that our team has been lacking, in general, for quite some time. At the same time, I agree with Brown.

While I appreciate Eighty Eight's passion, I think he needs to temper it at times to preserve his body. Too many times to count I have found myself yelling at the television for Bryant to "GET DOWN, JUST GO DOWN!" His passion for the game and will to get that extra couple of inches has really endeared him to me but I hope that it doesn't cost him length on his career. As Brown stated, he has to be smart about when to fight and when to concede.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this a new path the team is taking...sound fundamental football...because i always thought sound fundamental football was taught at the Jr football level with 10yr old kids first learning to play the game..fast forward to 2013 and the Dallas Football Cowboys have decided to change direction and teach and play sound fundamental football...this is why i am on the fence with this team after 35 years of cheering and crying...high fives and punching holes in walls...strutting my Dallas gear and drowning myself in warm beer...but sometimes enough is enough...

Cant wait for the Draft

Go Boys

Peace
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a really good piece from Bob Sturm's blog. David Newbury sums up my feelings on this draft pretty well

Quote:
So what is Dallas going to do with the 18thpick? I think there are 8 “special players” in this draft that Dallas can’t trade away from. These 8 players also fill a need for Dallas. They are Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Jonathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei and Sheldon Richardson. I think the 3 left tackles will be long gone before Dallas’ selection. Dallas would love for OU’s Lane Johnson to fall to them, but I don’t think he gets passed San Diego at 11. They would love to have 1 of the 3 defensive tackles. Shariff Floyd, and Star Lotulelei are top 10 picks. Sheldon Richardson has the best chance of the 3 to make it to Dallas, but I have him going 14 to Carolina. That leaves the 2 guards.

What happens if all 8 of the “special players” are gone? Kenny Vaccaro is an option. He is a great safety! Like guard, Dallas has ignored the safety position for year. I am a big fan of Vaccaro’s. I would have no problem if Dallas drafted him at 18. However, I wouldn’t take him at 18. Some draft analyst are saying that this is the deepest safety class they’ve ever seen. I would much rather take my chances with Matt Elam, Jonathan Cyprien, Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas, D.J. Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas or J.J. Wilcox. I would trade back and collect an extra top 100 pick.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/story/who-will-the-cowboys-pick-at-no-18?blockID=883209&feedID=10194

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Quote:

But you have to pick your spots to play with that passion. Don't want him tearing an MCL or ACL for an extra 2 yards on a slant.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

But you have to pick your spots to play with that passion. Don't want him tearing an MCL or ACL for an extra 2 yards on a slant.

It's not something that can be caged. I love the way he plays. Heart.

In Redball I Trust!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when we decided to coach the aggressiveness out of Barbarian. That worked well.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I remember when we decided to coach the aggressiveness out of Barbarian. That worked well.

We coached him out of the league.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

We coached him out of the league.

and it had nothing to do with him being worn down by his aggressive playing style?

- As for Dez, if he could learn to pick his spots that would be great. But he's a passionate player, that's just who he is. And that's what makes him so great. I don't think it shortens a career as much for a WR compared to a HB, nor causes as many injuries.. So I would just let Dez be Dez out there on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: