Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Depth at Safety is a problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Gay can play Safety in a pinch.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeBeau has already publicly stated the need for at some guys to groom behind Poly and Clark...I'd be very surprised if the draft a S somewhere in the 1st 4 rounds.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I disagree with the notion that the Steelers didn't like Allen, however this may be a case where, given his age, they feel it's time to move on. I think it's a big mistake but I also think Golden won't live beyond his contract as a Steeler.

I actually think this move increases the chances of Safety being our 1st round pick. I don't think it matters what position we pick on defense, the 1st round pick won't start in the 2013 season. But this is going to come down to who is CAPABLE of starting? I'm sticking to my guns in believing that Kenny Vaccaro could be the pick and would be the best pick because I don't believe Troy Polamalu will make it through the season healthy. I also can't say for certainty that this won't be Troy's last season with the Steelers, I believe if it is, Troy will retire. I can't see him going elsewhere and playing, but...Ed Reed did it.

I would be shocked to see Will Allen resigned by the Steelers. I am not surprised the Patriots haven't offered to Sanders yet but I think as time goes by, it becomes less likely that they will. In a way, this is unfortunate, because we could really use the extra 3rd round pick but at the same time, it's a good thing, Sanders is talented but he's got to be more consistent.

OLB and S to me, are easily our biggest issues right now on defense and overall, the only one that I think is equivalent for the rest of the team is Running Back. I wish I had the confidence that Dwyer and Redman could be effective. I don't think either of them will be on the 2014 roster.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Golden Child will shine this season!! He got his feet wet last year and was attacked by the Cowboys and now he knows how manipulative starting QBs are. He has the skillset to be a great Safety/CB and was used as a 3rd Safety last year or maybe he was playing CB during the alignment but whatever. I see this man becoming the next star. Bring in another young Safety like Reid, Miles, Thomas, McDonald, etc....

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Clark or Polamalu will miss time next year. You could argue that Ryan Mundy is the guy who cost this team the playoffs...more than any other. Will Allen stabilized the spot and that was when the defense came around.

No one player cost them the playoffs. Every one contributed to 8-8, or did you miss the Browns game?

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
The Golden Child will shine this season!! He got his feet wet last year and was attacked by the Cowboys and now he knows how manipulative starting QBs are. He has the skillset to be a great Safety/CB and was used as a 3rd Safety last year or maybe he was playing CB during the alignment but whatever. I see this man becoming the next star. Bring in another young Safety like Reid, Miles, Thomas, McDonald, etc....

Not trying to overrated Golden but this is how I feel too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Not trying to overrated Golden but this is how I feel too.

I'd be thrilled if this turns out to be true....but we need 2to safeties.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Golden pans out as well, but until we see him getting extensive playing time, I just don't know if he'll be able to step in this year.

Why are we not kicking the tires on Huff? or Sensabaugh? They are both 30 years old, but they are probably still good for 2-3 seasons while we develop, hopefully, a FS draft pick.

I don't see much in the SS department in FA...maybe Rhodes at age 31? Dawan Landry at age 30? Either would probably be better than W. Allen, but shouldn't command much money.

Maybe the Steelers are just biding their time before they look at some Safety help...maybe that will bring the price down on some of these guys. IDK, but I'd imagine they would bring in at least one veteran FA at the S position.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
CanadianSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before and I think we are going to draft a Safety....first pick...We have Worilds at olb even though Jones seems to be the heavy favorite.....I think the steelers know troy probably has at best 2 years left in the tank...play it save and draft a safety to learn under troy and clark .... my money is on Vaccaro...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/kenny-vaccaro?id=2539320
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ward, because they are FA's and we don't deal in FA's
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Clark was a FA...though it was eons ago! Wink

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
I hope Golden pans out as well, but until we see him getting extensive playing time, I just don't know if he'll be able to step in this year.

Why are we not kicking the tires on Huff? or Sensabaugh? They are both 30 years old, but they are probably still good for 2-3 seasons while we develop, hopefully, a FS draft pick.

I don't see much in the SS department in FA...maybe Rhodes at age 31? Dawan Landry at age 30? Either would probably be better than W. Allen, but shouldn't command much money.

Maybe the Steelers are just biding their time before they look at some Safety help...maybe that will bring the price down on some of these guys. IDK, but I'd imagine they would bring in at least one veteran FA at the S position.

Dont see the point of bringing in any of them.

Dont get me wrong, they arent bad players, but just like the ILB/Urlacher situation, we need guys that can develop long term.

Golden will get his chance, but they need to bring in some more youth to challenge each other.

Im not against your ideas really, but both our starting Ss are over 30, so bringing in backups over 30s only helps us in the very short term.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought back other former Steelers, Chris Hope anyone??

Also, someone like Huff would be decent or Sensabaugh.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
We brought back other former Steelers, Chris Hope anyone??

Also, someone like Huff would be decent or Sensabaugh.

First off, Chris Hope is 33....or at least he will be at the start of the season.

Secondly, he is god awful.

He was good here and great his first year in Tennesee, but he went down quickly after that.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Clark was a FA...though it was eons ago! Wink

Touche'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: