Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all ti Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Lagadama24 wrote:
I was reading a post in another section on this forum the topic was top 20 safeties of All time and sean taylor was no where to be seen. i understand he did not play very long but shouldn't he get consideration ? so i ask where do you think he ranks among the all time greats at safety ?
did you read what the other 20 safeties had done in their careers?

All pros, Super Bowl champions, guys with 40, 50, 60 ints, 5 to 10 returned for TDs.

Just because we are too young to remember the greats of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s doesn't mean they didn't have better careers than Taylor nor did it mean that they weren't as talented as him.


Well said Turtle!! That's why you are this years ST winner!

I've noticed that anytime ESPN or NFL Net does a "list" of the "Top X to play the game" it's always skewed towards the now.

Partly, I'm sure, because the person writing the list is too young to remember. And partly because there's no video available for some of the greats before the 1970s or 1960s.
yeah totally, I understand why the older guys get forgotten about but some of these guys are in the hall of fame for a reason or they have arguments they should be in the hall of fame if they aren't.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
you aren't overreacting in his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
you aren't overreacting in his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Paul Krause, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have named Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s. We faced the Vikings in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then you have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very, very big hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to put him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries


Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has somebody that they pioneer there game after. B4 there was Jordan there was Magic, than after Jordan came Kobe, now we have Lebron taking over the league. So yea Im pretty sure Sean tailored his game after someone b4 him (that I haven't seen) so when the question is asked where does Sean rank all time in my eyes Im only going by guys I seen play. Sean Taylor in my eyes would've surpassed Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, and Rodney Harrison. Those are the guys I'm comparing him too. I'm too young to have watched a Ronney Lott, Darren Woodson, or Rod Woodson play much . ThAtz not to say though that someone could surpass them oneday and take there spot. As I said b4 Sean from critics and some film I have seen of Ronnie Lott, hit you like a Ronnie Lott and could also play the ball like a Ed Reed. So he combined the combination of putting fear in opponents to catch the ball and also could compete when the ball is in the air. Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and more of the elite WR's of his error just didn't really want anything to do with him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins play- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell and play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s and team we faced in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then guy have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very very but hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to our him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.


Lets eliminate stats, Pro Bowls, and Super Bowls because ThAtz Wat I do when I compare talent man vs man. Give me all the guys you would put on the field in front of Sean Taylor.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14725
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins play- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell and play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s and team we faced in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then guy have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very very but hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to our him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.


Lets eliminate stats, Pro Bowls, and Super Bowls because ThAtz Wat I do when I compare talent man vs man. Give me all the guys you would put on the field in front of Sean Taylor.


You're BOTH right in how you're looking at things.

I agree with Turtle in that if you're ranking the best ever you need to look at the totality of their work. Sean didn't have as many years to compare with the others. Like comparing a QB who threw only 90 passes to the rest who threw 300 passes. so with this in mind I would put Houston over Sean and I'd also put Pat Fischer over him too.

BUT...

YOU are correct in how you're looking at it as well. If Sean were still alive and we were building a team from scratch and weren't paying attention to stats or rings won and just going by what they give me out on the field and you gave me carte blanche to pick Safeties that I saw play? Here's who I'd pick (have to pick 3 just incase we run a 3 safety set):

Sean Taylor
Ronnie Lott
Ed Reed

But again, that's not how everyone ranks players. The years, the stats and the accolades and rings factor into the ranking decisions.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins play- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell and play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s and team we faced in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then guy have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very very but hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to our him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.


Lets eliminate stats, Pro Bowls, and Super Bowls because ThAtz Wat I do when I compare talent man vs man. Give me all the guys you would put on the field in front of Sean Taylor.


You're BOTH right in how you're looking at things.

I agree with Turtle in that if you're ranking the best ever you need to look at the totality of their work. Sean didn't have as many years to compare with the others. Like comparing a QB who threw only 90 passes to the rest who threw 300 passes. so with this in mind I would put Houston over Sean and I'd also put Pat Fischer over him too.

BUT...

YOU are correct in how you're looking at it as well. If Sean were still alive and we were building a team from scratch and weren't paying attention to stats or rings won and just going by what they give me out on the field and you gave me carte blanche to pick Safeties that I saw play? Here's who I'd pick (have to pick 3 just incase we run a 3 safety set):

Sean Taylor
Ronnie Lott
Ed Reed

But again, that's not how everyone ranks players. The years, the stats and the accolades and rings factor into the ranking decisions.


Thanks for breaking things down like that. I have a couple of people I know who look at things from that angle, but I cant. Winning is what all player's want but there alwayz has to be loser. Just because I lose or my team dosen't make it as far as another IN my eyes that doesn't mean your better than me. Look how long it took Jordan to get his first ring, so are we saying that the years b4 his rings the other team's SG or players were better than Jordan because they had rings and Jordan didnt or was that team as a whole better than Jordan? Thatz the question I have for those who think Championships or Super Bowls just instantly make you better than others.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Thai but you just can't do that. There are players on the list I provided who had 80 interceptions. You can't bump up a player based on potential over the all time greats.

It just discredits the totality of how great they were for so long. I was reading Paul Krause had 28 ints in his first 4 seasons.

So how'd Sean do? Sean had only 12 in his first 4 seasons

Krause was a rookie with the redskins he was all pro and had 12 ints. Shocked

How in the world do you put Sean Taylor over the top interceptor in The history of the game who intercepted passes in seven straight games and he came near to matching that mark in 1968 when he had 6 ints in consecutive games. In 1979 as a 17 year old vet he surpass Emlen Tunnell, who had 79 steals, for the all-time record. He missed only two games with injuries in 16 seasons.

I love Sean Taylor, but you can not put him above players like this.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins play- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell and play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s and team we faced in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then guy have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very very but hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to our him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.


Lets eliminate stats, Pro Bowls, and Super Bowls because ThAtz Wat I do when I compare talent man vs man. Give me all the guys you would put on the field in front of Sean Taylor.
see but you can't eliminate them, because you nor I saw a lot of these guys play. So the stats and accomplishments of these all time greats from 30 to 60 years ago tell us how great they were.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3339
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I think if you ask this question you have to answer it as though Sean was still playing today and you just take what he was doing than imply that he would stay on that path to this day. With that being said I would put Taylor rite up there (if not above) with the top guys I got to see play such as Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, ect. Taylor was elite and I have no reason to believe his progress would've stop. Especially with the addition of Landry. There was no way we wouldn't put fear in the hearts of offensive players having to face such a force. Sean had the ability to hit like a Ronnie Lott and the I.Q./ball Skills of a Ed Reed IMO. I may be overacting in some minds, but to me Sean Taylor was the greatest player I've ever seen play.
You are overreacting to his potential, we all agree but still unfortunately it didn't happen so you can't discredit the safeties that did what Sean couldn't because of his death. When you have Taylor leapfrog some of the best of all time just because you are a redskins fan and love Sean and his potential you say these others weren't as great, but we really can't say that because Sean didn't do it and those other greats did it.


I'm not discrediting them at all. All I'm saying is when Sean Taylor was here he was the best Safety IMO, and with that said if still here today I see no reason why that would change. Yes his stats don't meet up with some of the other greats, but thatz only because his life was ended too short. Let him still be here today, I'm pretty sure his stats would match or surpass others. Basically I feel like this other's may make the Hall of Fame because of there stats (not taking anything from them because they worked for it) but If a conversation was to come up as to who would I take first or want on my team Sean Taylor makes that list b4 others.


http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/848432-20-best-safeties-in-nfl-history


it's not just their stats. A lot of those guys in the top 20 changed the game and were pioneers decades before Taylor. They were the first safeties to play the way that Sean played, paving the way and he tailored his game after them. They played in playoffs, they played in Super Bowls and won superbowls. They were winners and some of them were the main reasons their teams played in championship games or won the Super Bowl. They were game changers also and were game changers for a decade and more in some cases.

I really think some of the younger guys in this forum never saw a Darren Woodson really play in his prime, a Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott. I never saw Larry Wilson, Ken Houston, Jack Tatum or donnie Shell play but I've heard people talk of them and how they were like Sean before Sean, older guys in this forum have Ken Houston as our best safety to ever suit up for the skins play- not Sean- and they saw him play so I believe them. My father, his brothers and his friends saw Donnie Shell and play for the steelers and Jack Tatum play for the Raiders and terrorize offenses for a decade, so I know how great they were.

Everyone knows the legend of Ronnie Lott but if you're old enough to have seen him play you'd realize he was Sean- before Sean. Joey Browner had 11 ints in one season (37 in a 9 year career), over 1000 tackles. He was the enforcer on a Vikings back end that was great in the mid and late 80s and team we faced in the playoffs several times and if not for a great pass break up by Darrell Green would have played in Super Bowl xxii vs the broncos, not us and he is 20th on their list.

Donnie Cherry was mr everything in Kansas City for a long long time and if it wasn't for Ronnie Lott winning super bowls, he might have gotten more credibility. Then guy have guys like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater who played on the same broncos teams for a while and both were very, very dominant and very very but hitters and enforcers just like Sean.

Troy Polumalu and Ed Reed play different styles but I don't see how anyone puts Sean over them considering what both have accomplished in a decade + of playing and the amazing plays each made that very few safeties before them ever made. Guys like Darren Sharper were amazing game changing players for an entire decade that won a Super Bowl to go with his stats and played in numerous playoff games. Brian Dawkins is someone the Eagles still can't replace just like we can't replace Taylor. It's a shame the Eagles ever let the versatile FS go who has all the stats and wins to back up his ranking and his play.

I just don't know where Sean Fits on that list. Probably towards the end somewhere like in the mid to late teens but even then it's hard to our him in there just on potential and a few great years. Maybe it's not fair and its tragic, but its right and its just reality.


Lets eliminate stats, Pro Bowls, and Super Bowls because ThAtz Wat I do when I compare talent man vs man. Give me all the guys you would put on the field in front of Sean Taylor.
see but you can't eliminate them, because you nor I saw a lot of these guys play. So the stats and accomplishments of these all time greats from 30 to 60 years ago tell us how great they were.


Agree to disagree. Guess we look at things from a different angle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and I totally agree with you guys on what Sean Would have been if he had lived and stayed healthy.

I just want to reiterate that.

I'm just looking at this from a totally unbiased angle. It's hard to do, but you have to when you're talking greatest of all time.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14725
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I'm sorry Thai but you just can't do that. There are players on the list I provided who had 80 interceptions. You can't bump up a player based on potential over the all time greats.

It just discredits the totality of how great they were for so long. I was reading Paul Krause had 28 ints in his first 4 seasons.

So how'd Sean do? Sean had only 12 in his first 4 seasons

Krause was a rookie with the redskins he was all pro and had 12 ints. Shocked

How in the world do you put Sean Taylor over the top interceptor in The history of the game who intercepted passes in seven straight games and he came near to matching that mark in 1968 when he had 6 ints in consecutive games. In 1979 as a 17 year old vet he surpass Emlen Tunnell, who had 79 steals, for the all-time record. He missed only two games with injuries in 16 seasons.

I love Sean Taylor, but you can not put him above players like this.


I already stated that you were correct in listing those players ahead of Sean. Not sure why you're disagreeing with me.

What I said was that when I look at the way he played and his abilities and I was forming a team strictly on what they gave me out on the field (in terms of abilities - how fast they were, how hard they hit, how smart they were, etc...) I still put Sean in the top three of the players I saw. This is strictly on ability as if they were all rookies and I was guaranteed to get at least 10+ seasons out of each of them based upon what I see on the field.

See my point? Its strictly an intellectual exercise.

But otherwise, I agree with you. You cannot rank Sean ahead of the other guys when you're looking at all-time best because he simply didn't have enough time to grow and improve and prove it.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group