Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Atkins the NT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Geno Atkins the NT? Reply with quote

Hola my AFC Bengal buddies. We have a Ultimate Fantasy draft going on in the Cowboys forum and I selected Geno Atkins to play Nose Tackle alongside JJ Watt in my aggressive "Wade Phillips" style 3-4 defense. My forum mates seem to think it was a bad pick because they don't believe Atkins would be a good NT. As guys who watch him year in and year out, how do you think he'd fair at NT in a 3-4?

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's be ok but it's a waste of his talent. Should play him at 3-4 DE if you dont switch to a 4-3...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
He's be ok but it's a waste of his talent. Should play him at 3-4 DE if you dont switch to a 4-3...

Agree with the V here.

Geno's strength is his strength. He's only 6-0'', which helps him get good leverage under taller linemen. Zimmer has seen plenty of big strong men in his coaching career, and for him to say Geno is the strongest guy he's ever seen must mean something.

He could certainly hold up two guys as a NT, but he is much better IMO as a 4-3 UT or 3-4 DE rushing the passer and collapsing the pocket, (ask Willie Colon for a reference).

He got 12.5 sacks last year from the inside.... jeez.... Dude is a genuine mark1 ,grade A, gold standard straight-up bull, and if the Bengals FO aren't already trying to work out a long term deal for him right now, they're mad.
ark23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think he'd be ok as a NT in a Wade Phillips scheme. Definitely not the best use of his talent but that scheme is a one gap 3-4 (correct me if I'm wrong) and Phillips likes to be able to push the pocket with his NT's. No question it's not the best use of Geno because he's better In a 4-3 as a three tech who can be disruptive and unblockable.

One other thing to note is if you have JJ Watt nickel situations could be deadly with Watt at three tech and Geno at one tech. That's a scary group of DT's on passing downs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: