Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gotta say it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I will reserve judgement until the season starts. Honestly, Miami could have signed Victor Cruz and Mike Wallace and I would still reserve judgement because historically something has always become unglued. I would feel better if Miami had a pass rush outside Wake and shown the ability to protect the QB. Notice I did not say anything about DB's. I feel if you have a pass rush they are less important.

Dude 99% of the time I defer to you in football matters, but I can't help but think that if miami had spend the offseason getting the cold shoulder from anybody with talent, you wouldn't be waiting until the season starts to recognize signs of change. No offense intended, but I think if we where making questionable moves you and a couple others would be ripping Ireland a new one. But we are addressing needs with players who are young and have shown to be productive and now you want to "reserve judgement"

No disrespect just my opinion.

I reserve judgement because Miami can put an All-Pro roster together with 21 of the 22 positions and still will struggle without a QB. My judgement is not in questioning the off season moves. I endorse the off season moves so far. Not sure we needed to sign Wheeler in replace of Burnett but that is just my opinion. I also think Jonathan Martin is a liability. Had he shown promise last year I would feel better but as luck has it, Miami still are in need of at least two starters on the offensive line (if you consider Martin a starter).

I think Ireland has done well. He has not put money into the RB position. I have been screaming this for ages with my "running backs are puppets rant". I like what they did at Tight End, although I would have signed Fred Davis over Keller, but that is just my opinion.

Should they sign Winston, that makes the line better but I would stilll go into this season cautiously optimistic because he struggled last year in KC. I do not believe Jake Long is a fit for the Fins system. IMO he realizes that as well, which is why he went to the Rams. However, he is 80% better than Martin. So now we have a questionable QB who will be running for his life. Do not care what weapons you have on offense if you cannot protect long enough.

The off-season has been addressed as it should have.....the strength in FA was WR/TE and that is what Miami went after. The draft is very strong in OL/DL/and CB which will most likely get addressed with those 11 picks.

Concerning the O-line....I have already made entire thread on the topic, but as of right now the only players that fit a ZBS are Martin and Pouncey. Pouncey will be a starter for this team as long as he is here. Martin has potential and with hardcore off-season development could turn into a good NFL tackle, but I wouldn't go into next season feeling the position is addressed and would bring in some competition. With that said I would rather have Winston/Martin combo over a Long/Martin combo for a coupld of reasons. 1. both players fit the scheme 2. Both would play their "natural" position 3. it is a hell of a lot cheaper 4. Not injury prone....

I still see the O-line as the biggest area of need and hope it gets addressed before the season starts,,,if the team is "going all in" on Tannehill then they better protect his arse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I will reserve judgement until the season starts. Honestly, Miami could have signed Victor Cruz and Mike Wallace and I would still reserve judgement because historically something has always become unglued. I would feel better if Miami had a pass rush outside Wake and shown the ability to protect the QB. Notice I did not say anything about DB's. I feel if you have a pass rush they are less important.

Dude 99% of the time I defer to you in football matters, but I can't help but think that if miami had spend the offseason getting the cold shoulder from anybody with talent, you wouldn't be waiting until the season starts to recognize signs of change. No offense intended, but I think if we where making questionable moves you and a couple others would be ripping Ireland a new one. But we are addressing needs with players who are young and have shown to be productive and now you want to "reserve judgement"

I reserve judgement because Miami can put an All-Pro roster together with 21 of the 22 positions and still will struggle without a QB. My judgement is not in questioning the off season moves. I endorse the off season moves so far. Not sure we needed to sign Wheeler in replace of Burnett but that is just my opinion. I also think Jonathan Martin is a liability. Had he shown promise last year I would feel better but as luck has it, Miami still are in need of at least two starters on the offensive line (if you consider Martin a starter).

I think Ireland has done well. He has not put money into the RB position. I have been screaming this for ages with my "running backs are puppets rant". I like what they did at Tight End, although I would have signed Fred Davis over Keller, but that is just my opinion.

Should they sign Winston, that makes the line better but I would stilll go into this season cautiously optimistic because he struggled last year in KC. I do not believe Jake Long is a fit for the Fins system. IMO he realizes that as well, which is why he went to the Rams. However, he is 80% better than Martin. So now we have a questionable QB who will be running for his life. Do not care what weapons you have on offense if you cannot protect long enough.

The off-season has been addressed as it should have.....the strength in FA was WR/TE and that is what Miami went after. The draft is very strong in OL/DL/and CB which will most likely get addressed with those 11 picks.

Concerning the O-line....I have already made entire thread on the topic, but as of right now the only players that fit a ZBS are Martin and Pouncey. Pouncey will be a starter for this team as long as he is here. Martin has potential and with hardcore off-season development could turn into a good NFL tackle, but I wouldn't go into next season feeling the position is addressed and would bring in some competition. With that said I would rather have Winston/Martin combo over a Long/Martin combo for a coupld of reasons. 1. both players fit the scheme 2. Both would play their "natural" position 3. it is a hell of a lot cheaper 4. Not injury prone....

I still see the O-line as the biggest area of need and hope it gets addressed before the season starts,,,if the team is "going all in" on Tannehill then they better protect his arse.

I wouldn't even say DL is strong. DT's are strong. DE's are weak this year. Having said that, I'm half tempted to say lets sign Winston and Dumervil. Then let's go Cooper LG in the first and Armstead OT and Poyer CB in the second. Let Incognito compete with Jerry at RG, and let Armstead compete with Martin at LT. Then our line looks like this...

Martin/Armstead, Cooper, Pouncy, Jerry/Incognito, Winston

That type of line should have no problem keeping RT clean for long enough for him to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

Then again, I watched the Austin tape again, and he is so perfect for what we need on offense. He is the quick burst guy to take advantage of Wallace clearing out the safeties. I could definitely get on board with any of those picks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

I cant argue with your logic. From a fiscal standpoint, Martin/Winston makes more sense than Long/Martin. I would have prefered Long/Winston but that would result in more money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: