Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans sign former Ravens S Bernard Pollard to 1-year, $2.5M
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
Desperation beckons in titans management with this move Wink

I can't really disagree. Thankfully, it's just a small one year deal. It's not the kind of desperation that, if it fails, will set us back years with bad contracts. But yes, our approach to FA this year is 180% opposite of what we've done in prior years. I think Bud Adams is fearing the reaper and desperately trying to capture a title before his time is up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
Desperation beckons in titans management with this move Wink

Uh how?
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
The one-year deal the #Titans reached with safety Bernard Pollard is worth roughly $2.5 million

http://twitter.com/jwyattsports/statuses/315203895435603968
Tom Brady Tribute
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems very low to me. Only one year? Has he fallen off that much? Is he that much of a clubhouse cancer? What gives?

I'm not tooting our front office's horn because those numbers also mean no one else was willing to give him even that much. Strange.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
That seems very low to me. Only one year? Has he fallen off that much? Is he that much of a clubhouse cancer? What gives?

I'm not tooting our front office's horn because those numbers also mean no one else was willing to give him even that much. Strange.

Honestly, he's the type of safety that is going to need a very rangy FS next to him. It's why he looked so good with Ed. Pollard struggles in coverage and if there's not a very rangy safety next to him, he can be exposed.

On top of that, he's the kind of guy that will speak first and think second. He doesn't hold back his opinions which can rub some people the wrong way.

I very much enjoyed him while he was here in Baltimore because he complimented Ed very well and "played like a Raven", but at the same time, while I'm surprised he was released, I'm not really saddened by it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
titanrick wrote:

Honestly, he's the type of safety that is going to need a very rangy FS next to him. It's why he looked so good with Ed. Pollard struggles in coverage and if there's not a very rangy safety next to him, he can be exposed.

On top of that, he's the kind of guy that will speak first and think second. He doesn't hold back his opinions which can rub some people the wrong way.

I very much enjoyed him while he was here in Baltimore because he complimented Ed very well and "played like a Raven", but at the same time, while I'm surprised he was released, I'm not really saddened by it.
He's the kind of guy we needed since losing Finnegan last offseason. A tone-setter. He'll mostly stay in the box and will let Griffin hopefully only play center field and not be forced to embarrass himself by playing the run.

For a low-risk, fairly low-money deal, I love it. Or SS play last year was an absolute disaster and this move just represents or attempt to become the kind of physical team one would expect from a team that is coached by a HOF offensive lineman.

Titans have made a ton of moves this offseason, but none of them (outside of Levitre) are deals that will haunt us a couple years down the road. We're attempting to win this year, which I like. Going to be interesting to see if things come together by the time the regular season gets rolling.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid signing.

Pollard is pretty average overall and they better not use him as a cover safety, but if they keep him up near the box, he is a quality run defender and and make crucifying hits.

The Titans should still look at safety early IMO. Maybe not round 1, but 2 or 3.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Solid signing.

Pollard is pretty average overall and they better not use him as a cover safety, but if they keep him up near the box, he is a quality run defender and and make crucifying hits.

The Titans should still look at safety early IMO. Maybe not round 1, but 2 or 3.
I am sure we will. Only a one year deal and he's not getting any younger/better.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Finnerception

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so he can lay the lumber, play the run effectively, AND bully people who play bad? This guy might be my new favorite player after he slaps Michael Griffin across the face after our first loss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnerception wrote:
Wait, so he can lay the lumber, play the run effectively, AND bully people who play bad? This guy might be my new favorite player after he slaps Michael Griffin across the face after our first loss.

If we lose, it won't be because of Griffin. Hell, Griffin might have to slap HIM for his lack of coverage ability.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Finnerception wrote:

If we lose, it won't be because of Griffin. Hell, Griffin might have to slap HIM for his lack of coverage ability.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Finnerception wrote:

Might be our best option. Maybe if he tries to slap a teammate he may accidentally knock a running back down instead. Since God knows he can't tackle an opponent on purpose. Bold idea Ruskie. I like it.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: