Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cornerback at #10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things...

Warmack is the "best Guard prospect in decades..."

David DeCastro Last year:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/david-decastro-52/

Quote:
Big, physical, nasty, strong technician with distinction as the best pulling guard in this year’s draft class. Is a proven, perennial Pro Bowl-caliber plug-and-play starter with no glaring deficiencies in his game. One of the best all-around O-line prospects to emerge from the draft since Seattle Seahawks 2001 17th-overall pick Steve Hutchinson.

Sound familar???

Then add in Jason Smith, Robert Gallery, Alex Barron.....and any other "Safest pick in the draft"

Now there are plenty of other lineman that lived up to the billing. But to get caught up in the hype of "the best in decades" is dangerous.

Guards just don't have to be picked in the 1st round.....and most definitely don't have to do it in the Top 10.
Andy Levitre (2nd Round)
Louis Vasquez (3rd Round)
Jeremy Zuttah (3rd Round)
Carl Nicks (5th Round!!!!)
Chris Meyers (6th Round)
Jacob Bell (5th Round)
Jake Scott (5th Round)

Lastly, The notion that we just messed up because of years of drafting late rounders isn't true in my mind. Last year we had terrible injuries...but even with Amano and Harris starting we were a "good/decent" line BEFORE CJ got his money.

Scheme/QB/Play-calling/PAID CJ/Aging line....that is what caused the downfall of our line.

Before that we had a skill of drafting late players, and filling in with a Vet FA to be a starter. Draft interior lineman late has worked.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really add DeCastro with the likes of Gallery and Smith though. DeCastro had an injury and still ended up coming back at the end of the year and playing well.

I do think the type for Warmack is way overblown. I still think DeCastro was a better prospect. Warmack is not a good pulling guard and his pass-blocking isn't elite. He's a hell of a mauler but he's not the prospect everyone thinks he is. He has holes too. I still think Star is the best prospect in this draft. I don't agree with drafting a O-Lineman top 10 but I do agree with drafting them with a mid-late 1st which is where I think Warmack should go.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
You can't really add DeCastro with the likes of Gallery and Smith though. DeCastro had an injury and still ended up coming back at the end of the year and playing well.

I do think the type for Warmack is way overblown. I still think DeCastro was a better prospect. Warmack is not a good pulling guard and his pass-blocking isn't elite. He's a hell of a mauler but he's not the prospect everyone thinks he is. He has holes too. I still think Star is the best prospect in this draft. I don't agree with drafting a O-Lineman top 10 but I do agree with drafting them with a mid-late 1st which is where I think Warmack should go.

I say the DeCastro part because just last year he was the "BEST IN DECADES" and then next year, it will be someone else who is "THE BEST IN DECADES" and so on and so on...

Now I will say, yes. Elite OGs can be and should be drafted in the 1st, but in my mind. Top 10 is reserved for game changing players.
I don't think this team, (Titans) need to go that route. I think we have evaluators that can find guys later in the rounds who can be starters. So no need to waste upper round picks on OGs, get more impactful players.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

I say the DeCastro part because just last year he was the "BEST IN DECADES" and then next year, it will be someone else who is "THE BEST IN DECADES" and so on and so on...

Now I will say, yes. Elite OGs can be and should be drafted in the 1st, but in my mind. Top 10 is reserved for game changing players.
I don't think this team, (Titans) need to go that route. I think we have evaluators that can find guys later in the rounds who can be starters. So no need to waste upper round picks on OGs, get more impactful players.

But even billed as the best guard in decades he fell to #24 past many teams needing a guard. I remember in FFMD II last year the Cowboys traded to #9 because they thought he was going to be that good. And I know that when we picked at 20 last year we were all like hell yea DeCastro fell to us and then we passed on him too. That just shows how much teams devalue the guard position.

Props to Kempes ^
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

But even billed as the best guard in decades he fell to #24 past many teams needing a guard. I remember in FFMD II last year the Cowboys traded to #9 because they thought he was going to be that good. And I know that when we picked at 20 last year we were all like hell yea DeCastro fell to us and then we passed on him too. That just shows how much teams devalue the guard position.

Exactly...No matter how good a prospect the OG may be....it just proven that starters can be had and sometimes "made" from guys outside the 1st round.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Guards just don't have to be picked in the 1st round.....and most definitely don't have to do it in the Top 10.
Andy Levitre (2nd Round)
Louis Vasquez (3rd Round)
Jeremy Zuttah (3rd Round)
Carl Nicks (5th Round!!!!)
Chris Meyers (6th Round)
Jacob Bell (5th Round)
Jake Scott (5th Round)

Come on Kt... don't get caught up in that...

QB's don't have to be drafted in the 1st round...

Drew Brees (2nd Round)
Brett Favre (2nd round)
Matt Schaub (3rd round)
Tom Brady (6th round!!)
Matt Hasselbeck (6th round)
Tony Romo (undrafted)
Kurt Warner (undrafted!!)

We could do this all day with any position. We can also look at early pick busts at each position. Every position is going to have a lot of examples in each category we choose to bring up.

But what matters is what our scouts and staff believe. If they believe that a G is there at 10, and is heads and shoulders above any of the available players, then they'll go with that. Can Warmack bust? Yeah... but so can any of the players that are drafted from 1-254. If you have a chance to draft a blue chipper, you do it, regardless of perceived value of a position (P's and K's excluded).

You think anyone ever comes up to Bud and tells him... you know... you did good with the picks of Matthews (9th) and Munchack (8th). But you really should have taken other players because G's weren't really essential in the run and shoot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: