Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals Sign QB Josh Johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bengals Sign QB Josh Johnson Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ark23 wrote:
theJ wrote:

Agreed. I find it highly unlikely that there's a QB sitting in the later rounds more ready than Josh Johnson. I almost doubt that the team drafts one at all.

I dunno. I don't think this team is sold on Zac Robinson and we've shown a lot of interest in backup QB's like Nassib and Landry Jones. I just don't think that Josh Johnson is gonna be handed this job without a rookie coming in to push him.

If I had to guess, Landry Jones in the fifth or Bray in the third if he drops are possibilities. It's not as if Johnson is even as proven as Bruce Gradkowski (who started a full season basically, although not with great results) and people weren't satisfied with Gradkowski as our backup.

The one thing I will say is Jay must be high on him to sign him to this contract - he was there in Tampa when Johnson was a rookie, and he must've seen something he liked to want him here in Cincy. So I think that in that regard this team does have high expectations and anticipate him as a backup.

We bring in Johnson as he knows Grudens scheme well, as does Gradkowski.

We have to change our scheme and verbage quite a bit now, especially when we play the Steelers. Gradkowski will be stood there by LeBeau reading the formations and telling him exactly whats coming.

Have we underestimmated the effect of losing Gradhowski to the Steelers ?

Free agents come and go all the time. That hasn't changed in 20 years. Coaches are intelligent as well. They all adjust things from year to year. Relax.
Hokie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who has a problem with this signing?

The guy is 0-5 in his career, has a career 5-10 TD/INT ratio, played all of one snap in the NFL last year (and wasn't on a roster for the vast majority of the season), and he's being brought in to be the main backup? Really? They couldn't have gotten anyone better than this guy?

I don't even think Dalton is that great, but better pray to God he doesn't get hurt next season. We need to draft a QB now in the 4th or 5th round, IMO.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

The guy is 0-5 in his career, has a career 5-10 TD/INT ratio, played all of one snap in the NFL last year (and wasn't on a roster for the vast majority of the season), and he's being brought in to be the main backup? Really? They couldn't have gotten anyone better than this guy?

I don't even think Dalton is that great, but better pray to God he doesn't get hurt next season. We need to draft a QB now in the 4th or 5th round, IMO.

Even if they do draft someone in the 4th or 5th, you better pray Dalton doesn't get hurt. Those guys are usually just as bad.

The fact of the matter is, backup QB's are not usually very good. That's just the nature of the game.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

As I said earlier, Johnson is no lock to even make the roster. Since he wasn't in the league last year except for the final week, he's probably rusty. Robinson has at least been on the Bengals practice squad the last 2 years. It's possible Johnson has PS eligibility left depending on how many games he was active for in Tampa. Otherwise the PS QB slot is probably going to a day 3 draft pick.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
you better pray Dalton doesn't get hurt.

That's why I raised the point about whether we underestimate the loss of Gradkowski, particularly to the Steelers.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
The fact of the matter is, backup QB's are not usually very good. That's just the nature of the game.

Thats a fun thread to start right before the start of the season; who has the best/ worst back-up QB. Don't suspect Josh johnson will be too high on peoples lists.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: