Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Make the Trade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanadianSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Make the Trade? Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152797/article/branden-alberts-price-tag-reportedly-set-by-chiefs

A second round pick.....and one next year.....(based upon performance)..... I know albert would commend likely 10-12 million a year....but im sure with some shifty work from the front office...this WOULD make our oline set for the next 5 years minimum.... a second round pick for albert would seem quite cheap imo....but the salary would be difficult to swollow...

The only downside to this move is what to do with gilbert....which at this point could be to fight it out with foster for the role.... I was high on albert when he was drafted.....

Imagine the line

LT: Albert
LG: Foster
C: Pouncey
RG: DeCastro
RT: Adams

Ouch!

The talent we normally draft is hit or miss in the second round....so why not be assured a talent which would be difficult to be drafted regardless.... Albert is worthy i think at least for consideration....with healthy oline...ben could play another decade haha
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nice as Albert would be im not sure it is.in our best interest.

Didnt Albert just resign a contract with the.Chiefs?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
As nice as Albert would be im not sure it is.in our best interest.

Didnt Albert just resign a contract with the.Chiefs?

Franchised.

As for the trade....no.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Gilbert move to Guard? Or is Foster that much better?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind it. As long as we could make the salary fit our budget, then i'd be for it.

Go Noles!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
Can Gilbert move to Guard? Or is Foster that much better?

Gilbert could compete for guard or even RT (Im not handing the job to Mike Adams just yet...even though I think he would easily beat Gilbert out for it.

This team is investing too many resources on OLine. Yes, its important, but this team needs impact players. If we were to make this trade, that would mean we spent SIX 1st and 2nd round picks on FIVE OLineman...

Albert - 2nd x2 = Near 1st round value
DeCastro - 1st
Pouncey - 1st
Gilbert - 2nd
Adams - 2nd

Now, I know some will say there is nothing wrong with that...but there is when your team is severely lacking impact players. We won for years with a worse OLine than we have now, and thats because we had impact players. Not that I dont want to see the OLine great, but they arent going to matter if we dont have the right players at other positions, and by trading Albert and signing him to a big contract, you sacrafice that.

CanadianSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 great point about having a poor oline and still winning....but i think the only comeback to that...which is valid .... ben is getting older and as we will notice more and more....he won't be able to take a pounding like he did with that poor oline...

as for the price tag on albert....its steep.... likely 2x 2nds....which would be like a first....and likely 2 starters.... but i ask the question.... is there a talent you could pick up right now in the second round that matches albert....the short answer is no....the better answer is....no but it doesnt cost 12 million which we dont have.... i understand the logistics....but its a pipe dream....albert would not get traded to the steelers....but it would be sexy as hell.... if his contract wouldnt be so high.... i would have to strongly consider a 2nd and likely a 3rd or 4th next year... i might bite....

DO we need it...no....but it would be sexy...
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadianSteeler wrote:
43 great point about having a poor oline and still winning....but i think the only comeback to that...which is valid .... ben is getting older and as we will notice more and more....he won't be able to take a pounding like he did with that poor oline...

And Ill counter that with....

The only way Ben is going to take less of a pounding is if he learns to get rid of the ball quicker. He did well with it early on in the year, but by mid year was holding the ball too long again.

Albert would definitely reduce the pressures on Ben, but I guarantee you, Ben is going to get hit alot...be it sacks or hits just after he throws...no matter who is at LT UNLESS he starts getting it out quicker.

Dont get me wrong....I wouldnt revolt if he made this move...but I wouldnt be happy either....at least not until I saw a dramatic difference, which is not guaranteed.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing about our offensive line though. I don't think it's that poor. I've stated in the past, that I really liked the pick of Gilbert, because he was an offensive lineman and we had been neglecting the position. At the time I didn't know much about Gilbert. Now, I think he's the one guy on our line that may not be here a couple seasons from now. I think we have an inexperienced line, more so inexperienced as a cohesive unit. I definitely agree with 43 that we have a lot of positions lacking so to give up basically a 1st round value but in the way of 2 picks.. honestly, I'd almost rather give up 1 first round pick, because at least I was parting with less picks, we need all the picks we can get. (I did say almost) I just don't think that a trade scenario here is in our best interest.

Also, 43, to your point about Ben releasing the ball sooner. I don't disagree with you, but by now we should all be able to agree that's who Ben is like it or not (and I don't like it). He doesn't know when to just give up on a play, sometimes that's a good thing, others, like last season, it's a bad thing. But in reality, it's never going to change.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Also, 43, to your point about Ben releasing the ball sooner. I don't disagree with you, but by now we should all be able to agree that's who Ben is like it or not (and I don't like it). He doesn't know when to just give up on a play, sometimes that's a good thing, others, like last season, it's a bad thing. But in reality, it's never going to change.

I dont disagree with that at all.

But Im sure we can also agree that Ben is going to take needless sacks and hits due to that.

Like I said...not saying Albert wouldnt help, but I would rather give our younger OLineman a chance with the new coach and see how it goes, rather than making another huge investment on the OLine, especially with our other needs.

treat88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up premium picks and paying top dollar for Albert would seem to run counter to the get younger and get the salary cap healthy approach I think should be taken.

So Id say no to the deal as well.

If we are going to move picks (Id prefer to keepem than dealem) to fill the LT spot, Id rather spend them moving up for a guy like Lane Johnson than on a vet with the high price tag. Younger and healthier cap mantra again.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I dont disagree with that at all.

But Im sure we can also agree that Ben is going to take needless sacks and hits due to that.

Like I said...not saying Albert wouldnt help, but I would rather give our younger OLineman a chance with the new coach and see how it goes, rather than making another huge investment on the OLine, especially with our other needs.

I agree I can not count the number of times when I am watching the game, and he just takes a punishing blow for a two yard completion if the guy caught it.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: