Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

now to the offseason...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Pretty good Q&A between Tom Pelissero and Leslie Fraizer.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/QA_with_Leslie_Frazier_Spending_more_time_with_Vikings_D_was_key032013?t=2

Call me crazy but he seems more concerned with the UT position than he does with the NT position.

He also seems pretty confident in Jerome Simpson and I agree that he did look good before his injury so who knows.

You can tell he isn't very comfortable with what they have at corner back.
He should be more concerned with UT. It is the premier position in what the vikes run and Kwill has been over since 2009, imo. 2008 was his last elite year, where he could make, almost singlehandedly, the opposing qb look worse than TJ/ferotte and get us a division title.

There really arent many good UT types in this draft.

Richardson and Floyd should be top 15 locks, so ulness MN trades up they arent options.

After that, Kawann Short seems more like a 4-3 NT type player. I dont see the fit at UT, but ive seen it mentioned.

To me, DT should be addressed in the mid rounds. There really isnt anyone worth an early selection, barring a top prospect falling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think K-Will can get it done. He is not as dominant as he once was, sure, that was inevitable, but he has his moments still and they're worth it.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
I still think K-Will can get it done. He is not as dominant as he once was, sure, that was inevitable, but he has his moments still and they're worth it.

If you want run defense and batted passes then he is your man. Though that is really what we need our NT to do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

If you want run defense and batted passes then he is your man. Though that is really what we need our NT to do.

Yeah, precisely, you're right on both counts. That's kind of why I love him so much, though, he's a very interesting player because he transcends the usual mold in a way; he does things you want from your UT well but he plays like an NT sometimes too, and the results have been positive many times. Plus he has been a Viking for his entire career and these things have intrinsic value to me, personally; I love it when players are linked to one team and I like to see them get the benefit of the doubt when they've contributed so much to their team over the years.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Purple Faithful wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Pretty good Q&A between Tom Pelissero and Leslie Fraizer.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/QA_with_Leslie_Frazier_Spending_more_time_with_Vikings_D_was_key032013?t=2

Call me crazy but he seems more concerned with the UT position than he does with the NT position.

He also seems pretty confident in Jerome Simpson and I agree that he did look good before his injury so who knows.

You can tell he isn't very comfortable with what they have at corner back.
He should be more concerned with UT. It is the premier position in what the vikes run and Kwill has been over since 2009, imo. 2008 was his last elite year, where he could make, almost singlehandedly, the opposing qb look worse than TJ/ferotte and get us a division title.

There really arent many good UT types in this draft.

Richardson and Floyd should be top 15 locks, so ulness MN trades up they arent options.

After that, Kawann Short seems more like a 4-3 NT type player. I dont see the fit at UT, but ive seen it mentioned.

To me, DT should be addressed in the mid rounds. There really isnt anyone worth an early selection, barring a top prospect falling.
Yeah, seems the names are Short or Sylvester Williams. Frankly, what do you think of trading for Cox from Philly? Philly is going 3-4, expecting Cox to make the transition to a 5 tech with 2 gap responsibility, to me, is no sure bet. That's a different position (same size guy, maybe) and i don't think fits him as well.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Maybe that's why Frazier said he's looking for a UT. K-Will isn't explosive anymore. None of our guys provide a 'special' pass rush on the inside.

If you look at it from that perspective, with Kevin-Williams turning into more of a run-stopper, a pass-rushing DT might be a bigger priority.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Freakout wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Maybe that's why Frazier said he's looking for a UT. K-Will isn't explosive anymore. None of our guys provide a 'special' pass rush on the inside.

If you look at it from that perspective, with Kevin-Williams turning into more of a run-stopper, a pass-rushing DT might be a bigger priority.
KWill is Phat now - i'd have drafted cox and moved kwill to nt last year. hard to find a guy like what kwill was from 2003 to 2008.

Last edited by Purple Faithful on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A developmental type 3-tech I like is Josh Boyd our of Mississippi State, very explosive athlete.

I believe he had the fastest 10 yard split out of all defensive lineman (Maybe it was just DT's)
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
A developmental type 3-tech I like is Josh Boyd our of Mississippi State, very explosive athlete.

I believe he had the fastest 10 yard split out of all defensive lineman (Maybe it was just DT's)

I like Boyd a lot, ive heard remarks though that he might be a decent fit as a 4-3 NT.

Spence, Boyd, Dawkins, Williams are all mid round DTs that could be solid selections if MN doesnt take a DT early, which I get the feeling they may not.

If the plan is to move Kevin Williams into more of a one tech. spot, that opens the need to draft a true UT. Unless Ballard/Guion will be expected to start there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see them moving K-Will to NT unfortunately. I think the Guion experiment regrettably continues with Fred Evans getting a bump in snaps as well.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, maybe it depends on the draft too.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I don't see them moving K-Will to NT unfortunately. I think the Guion experiment regrettably continues with Fred Evans getting a bump in snaps as well.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, maybe it depends on the draft too.

I would think that if they do draft a UT type prospect early, the plan could be to play Williams at NT. Otherwise, why take that player early if you dont expect them to contribute. A rookie UT might have a hard time seeing the field over Williams, Guion and Ballard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I just don't see them moving Guion to UT and Williams to NT like they should.

Even if it may be the correct move. That's why I don't expect DT to be a top round pick.

If we pick both I'm banking or WR/LB, and not necessarily in that order.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Freakout wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Isn't that why we drafted Christian Ballard in 2011?

At the time he was the best available pass rushing DT when we drafted him, and we've seen some of his potential, especially later in this past season.

If Ballard takes the next step, how big of a hole is DT for us still?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Like I said, I just don't see them moving Guion to UT and Williams to NT like they should.

Even if it may be the correct move. That's why I don't expect DT to be a top round pick.

If we pick both I'm banking or WR/LB, and not necessarily in that order.
Well, I am thinking for the stab-myself-in-the-leg-with-a-pencil feeling I'm expecting, the move is WR/CB. Spielman drafts a lot of those high, too.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Freakout wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Isn't that why we drafted Christian Ballard in 2011?

At the time he was the best available pass rushing DT when we drafted him, and we've seen some of his potential, especially later in this past season.

If Ballard takes the next step, how big of a hole is DT for us still?

That's a great question. I think it is as big as who falls. A stud will be taken in the first if he's there but we are fairly flexible. I think the only guarantee is WR in the first. There will be a WR run, and showing up in the late second for a good one.... good luck with that.

I love the Vikings, win or lose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 78 of 90

Jump to: