Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Free Agency Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7181
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
http://russellstreetreport.com/boldin-has-been-off-the-ravens-salary-cap-since-march-12/

Quote:
The idea that the Ravensí Salary Cap has been adversely affected while awaiting WR Aquan Boldinís return from Africa to take his physical with the 49ers, has been an issue that has greatly frustrated many Ravens fans.

As it turns out, it was never an issue at all and the initial reporting (from ProFootballTalk, and repeated, apparently without confirmation, by many others) that the trade wasnít complete until Boldin passed his physical was totally inaccurate.

First, the official NFL transactions report disclosed the trade as being completed on March 12th and both teams announced the deal shortly thereafter.


Well. That's interesting. Although now knowing that they've had some cap space to work with all along I'm still not surprised they haven't made any bigger signings. Right now the Ravens have a shade under $8 million in cap room ($115,025,545 in cap commitments under the Rule of 51 subtracted from a $123,000,000 salary cap).


Re: the rule of 51, do we currently have more than 51 players signed? Thus, the majority of our picks won't need to be factored in bc they'll be making league minimum?


Yes, the Ravens have more than 51 players signed or tendered. Take a look at this link for your other question:

http://russellstreetreport.com/an-explanation-of-how-the-rookie-salary-cap-really-work/

I believe you're right though.

Quote:
Letís also say the teamís other draft picks have the following Cap numbers:
6th Round Pick Ė $415K ($390K + $25K bonus proration)
5th Round Pick Ė $426K ($390K + $36K)
4th Round Pick Ė $490K ($390K + $100K)
3rd Round Pick Ė $540K ($390K + $150K)
2nd Round Pick Ė $640K ($390K + $250K)
1st Round Pick Ė $1.390M ($390K + $1M)

So, of the teamís 7 draft picks, only the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have a Cap number of greater than $510K, which was the teamís 49th highest Cap number. As such, those three will replace the Cap numbers of the teamís 49th, 50th and 51st Cap numbers under the Rule of 51.

The remaining draft picks would not count amongst the top 51 Cap numbers, so the base salaries of those players, while counting against the Rookie Cap, will not count against the teamís overall Salary Cap
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8455
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
http://russellstreetreport.com/boldin-has-been-off-the-ravens-salary-cap-since-march-12/

Quote:
The idea that the Ravensí Salary Cap has been adversely affected while awaiting WR Aquan Boldinís return from Africa to take his physical with the 49ers, has been an issue that has greatly frustrated many Ravens fans.

As it turns out, it was never an issue at all and the initial reporting (from ProFootballTalk, and repeated, apparently without confirmation, by many others) that the trade wasnít complete until Boldin passed his physical was totally inaccurate.

First, the official NFL transactions report disclosed the trade as being completed on March 12th and both teams announced the deal shortly thereafter.


Well. That's interesting. Although now knowing that they've had some cap space to work with all along I'm still not surprised they haven't made any bigger signings. Right now the Ravens have a shade under $8 million in cap room ($115,025,545 in cap commitments under the Rule of 51 subtracted from a $123,000,000 salary cap).


Re: the rule of 51, do we currently have more than 51 players signed? Thus, the majority of our picks won't need to be factored in bc they'll be making league minimum?


Yes, the Ravens have more than 51 players signed or tendered. Take a look at this link for your other question:

http://russellstreetreport.com/an-explanation-of-how-the-rookie-salary-cap-really-work/

I believe you're right though.

Quote:
Letís also say the teamís other draft picks have the following Cap numbers:
6th Round Pick Ė $415K ($390K + $25K bonus proration)
5th Round Pick Ė $426K ($390K + $36K)
4th Round Pick Ė $490K ($390K + $100K)
3rd Round Pick Ė $540K ($390K + $150K)
2nd Round Pick Ė $640K ($390K + $250K)
1st Round Pick Ė $1.390M ($390K + $1M)

So, of the teamís 7 draft picks, only the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have a Cap number of greater than $510K, which was the teamís 49th highest Cap number. As such, those three will replace the Cap numbers of the teamís 49th, 50th and 51st Cap numbers under the Rule of 51.

The remaining draft picks would not count amongst the top 51 Cap numbers, so the base salaries of those players, while counting against the Rookie Cap, will not count against the teamís overall Salary Cap


Great. Thanks for the update.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Baltimore Pride


Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 2548
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Ed Reed front:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6496
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
On the Ed Reed front:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.


What? I'd definitely give $4 million per without a second of hesitation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baltimore Pride


Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 2548
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:
On the Ed Reed front:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.


What? I'd definitely give $4 million per without a second of hesitation.


Apparently he'll have to take less to stay in Baltimore

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
My understanding of the Ed Reed situation: He'll have to take less money to return to #Ravens. #Texans offering more than Baltimore.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
On the Ed Reed front:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.


Yeah I'd give up 4 a year for sure.

Lot of talk about the Ravens and Michael Huff though. Wouldn't mind him one bit, especially if he comes cheaper than Ed, which it seems he should.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nucky


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 446
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Simple question. Brian Urlacher: too much money ?
_________________
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 559
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:
On the Ed Reed front:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Ravens are very pessimistic about the possibility of keeping FA Ed Reed, I'm told. Belief is he wants $4M per year. Doubtful they do that.


What? I'd definitely give $4 million per without a second of hesitation.


Apparently he'll have to take less to stay in Baltimore

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
My understanding of the Ed Reed situation: He'll have to take less money to return to #Ravens. #Texans offering more than Baltimore.


I don't think its as much the money as it is the years. 4 mil/per is fine but Ed doesn't have 3 years left. If we are going to commit 3 years to a Safety I'd rather go with Huff. My thing is this, if we are protecting our future we have to be committed to it regardless to whose feelings get hurt. Take the emotions out of it and pay for what you are getting and not for what u used to get. I hate to say it but Ed is probably gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
draftguru1234


Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 549
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:
Simple question. Brian Urlacher: too much money ?

The Veteran minimum would be too much money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7181
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

draftguru1234 wrote:
Nucky wrote:
Simple question. Brian Urlacher: too much money ?

The Veteran minimum would be too much money.




No thanks to Urlacher. That kind of move seems like it would be the opposite of what Baltimore's plans are anyways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6496
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving Pitta an extension a season before he blows up replacing Boldin in the slot.

That's priority 1.

BR.com also mentions that Dickson, Oher, and Jones are unrestricted free agents next year. But, all those guys seem like they could be replaced with cheaper draft picks on their rookie deals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20145
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Giving Pitta an extension a season before he blows up replacing Boldin in the slot.

That's priority 1.

BR.com also mentions that Dickson, Oher, and Jones are unrestricted free agents next year. But, all those guys seem like they could be replaced with cheaper draft picks on their rookie deals.


How? He's not as fast, nor as physical as Boldin.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where does everyone want to see us go with the current batch of free agents? I wouldn't mind seeing a priority put on Huff and Dansby. Would allow us to try and trade out of the 1st into the 2nd, pick up Minter to team up with Dansby and if Matt Elam slides into the 40's snatch him up or the best remaining WR's hopefully a guy like Keenan Allen or Da'Rick Rogers. What direction would you like to see us go in?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6496
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Giving Pitta an extension a season before he blows up replacing Boldin in the slot.

That's priority 1.

BR.com also mentions that Dickson, Oher, and Jones are unrestricted free agents next year. But, all those guys seem like they could be replaced with cheaper draft picks on their rookie deals.


How? He's not as fast, nor as physical as Boldin.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcdni


Joined: 12 Nov 2004
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

How? He's not as fast, nor as physical as Boldin.


Pitta ran a 4.63 at the combine and Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine so Pitta is actually faster than Boldin.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 31 of 43

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group