Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Overrated/underrated/sleepers pg 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did go to Elon several years back. I missed seeing Mellette in person but I have been following him and the dude is legit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash wrote:
I actually did go to Elon several years back. I missed seeing Mellette in person but I have been following him and the dude is legit.
cool. I loved that campus, i just decided it was too far away from DC to go. I didn't want to be right at home like MD or a Nova school but I didn't want to be like 5-10 hours away.

So I went to Wvu 3 hours away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1554958-2013-nfl-draft-why-safety-john-boyett-provides-great-value-in-the-later-rounds

I had put this tread together before about late round steals but today I found an article about John Boyett who's tumbles down the draft boards because of injury and he was tough in 2011 playing through two torn tendons. Boyett has 2nd round, possibly 1st round talent and if we don't take a FS early (or wven of we do) taking Boyett in the late rounds to develop would be a smart idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fansided: NFL Draft 2013: Could South Carolina State’s Jakar Hamilton Be Late-Round Sleeper? http://t.co/w2CSNll7A5

Another possible late round safety steal is a guy we have visited with South Carolina State's Jakar Hamilton.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
@fansided: NFL Draft 2013: Could South Carolina State’s Jakar Hamilton Be Late-Round Sleeper? http://t.co/w2CSNll7A5

Another possible late round safety steal is a guy we have visited with South Carolina State's Jakar Hamilton.

Why would you care about late round safety steals since you're so hot to trot to spend our 2nd or 3rd at the position? Wink Laughing
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Why would you care about late round safety steals since you're so hot to trot to spend our 2nd or 3rd at the position? Wink Laughing

I know you were just playing around, Woz, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we double dipped at the position. Perhaps we take Reid in round 2 and this Hamilton guy in the 7th.
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 26 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 7 catches, 35 yards... and a fumble
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

we need a late round guy to develop lo IMO. 2nd rounder would be our starter. 6th or 7th round FS goes to the practice squad
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I know you were just playing around, Woz, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we double dipped at the position. Perhaps we take Reid in round 2 and this Hamilton guy in the 7th.
Cody Davis, John Boyett, Jakar Hamilton, Cooper Taylor or Ray Ray Armstrong could be 6th or 7th rounders
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

we need a late round guy to develop lo IMO. 2nd rounder would be our starter. 6th or 7th round FS goes to the practice squad

So you're drafting for the practice squad, but you won't consider a guy who could come in and take a "starting" job from our 40 year old punter? Color me confused.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

So you're drafting for the practice squad, but you won't consider a guy who could come in and take a "starting" job from our 40 year old punter? Color me confused.
If you're asking me if I think Shanahan will start a rookie punter over a 39 year old punter who's a 6 year veteran in the NFL and in his 3rd year in DC, I'd say absolutely NOT and drafting a punter right now would be a wasted pick.

Any player we draft in the 6th or 7th round is likely to be in the practice squad, Alfred Morris' don't just grow in trees. We are deep at all positons on our team but free safety, so yeah, I'd take two. One in the 1st and one in the 6th or 7th round.
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

If you're asking me if I think Shanahan will start a rookie punter over a 39 year old punter who's a 6 year veteran in the NFL and in his 3rd year in DC, I'd say absolutely NOT and drafting a punter right now would be a wasted pick.

As opposed to cutting an eight year veteran kicker four (five?) games into the season and replacing him with guy who never attempted a field goal in his career? Yep, you're right; it could never happen that a rookie beats out a veteran on a Shanahan coached team (Morris says hi).

Honestly, I'd be absolutely stunned if they don't bring in a UDFA or a street free agent to compete with Rocca. The only conceivable reason I could think of why they wouldn't was be because they're up against the salary cap.

Actually, that would be a reason to draft a punter in the seventh. You cannot effectively sign any player until you create some cap space (someone renegotiates). The front office isn't going to do that now because they're focused on the draft. If you draft a player you like, you can hold their rights until you've carved out some cap space. If you wait for a UDFA, you have to offer them a contract to get them, which may or may not throw you over the cap. Normally, it wouldn't matter, but when you only have $30K of breathing room, you have to be extra careful.

Quote:
Any player we draft in the 6th or 7th round is likely to be in the practice squad, Alfred Morris' don't just grow in trees. We are deep at all positons on our team but free safety, so yeah, I'd take two. One in the 1st and one in the 6th or 7th round.

Or just get outright cut. As opposed to a guy who can compete for an actual job to help us right now.

Oh, and since we're quibbling tonight, we don't have a first. Wink Laughing
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/04/21/2013-nfl-draft-overrated-underrated-and-sleepers/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Overrated/underrated prospects:

Quarterback:

overrated- EJ Manuel, FSU

underrated- Zack Dysert, Miami (OH)

Sleeper – Brad Sorenson, Southern Utah

Running back:

Overrated- Montee Ball, Wisconsin

underrated: Stephan Taylor, Stanford

Sleeper – Latavius Murray, Central Florida

[EDITED BY MODERATOR: Please don't copy the entire list from their website as that's a copyright violation. You know better than that turtle.]

What do you guys think about this list? I have questions in some of his opinions?
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/04/21/2013-nfl-draft-overrated-underrated-and-sleepers/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Overrated/underrated prospects:

Quarterback:

overrated- EJ Manuel, FSU

underrated- Zack Dysert, Miami (OH)

Sleeper – Brad Sorenson, Southern Utah

Running back:

Overrated- Montee Ball, Wisconsin

underrated: Stephan Taylor, Stanford

Sleeper – Latavius Murray, Central Florida

What do you guys think about this list? I have questions in some of his opinions?

I think its a good list just my opinion on a few.

I dont think Darius Slay is overrated. He was on the oppisite side of the field from Banks and really held is own. Teams threw at him all year to stay away from banks. He has real good speed and seems like a decent kid. You can always teach technique....cant teach speed!

I would add Sean Renfree to your sleeper list at QB. What he did at Duke was pretty amazing considering football is an after thought at that school. Dont discount the teaching of Davis Cutcliff...The guy knows how to groom QBs.

I realyl like the call on Zaviar Gooden. I think his game will really translate to the NFL. Being a former Saftey will really help him in the pass happy NF,L esp for a team like us that drop ILBs into coverage alot. He is light, but can really hit........I think he might be a real steal in the late rounds.

I will have to disagree on Tavon Austin. I think he is going to be really special. No way he is overrated to me. His teammate Stedmon Bailey will also be a great NFL player. I would put him on your underrated/sleeper list!

Im torn about Tony Jefferson. He had some really solid games at OK. Then he got absolutly torched by Tavon Austin in the WVU game. Thats a lil hard to over look. I think he has potential, but the work ethic concerns bother me greatly. I would almost rather take a chance on character issues kid like Matheiu than a work ethic issues kid. PLayers that dont work hard will never make it on a team like ours with guys like London Fletcher in the locke room.

Im not sure Johnathon Banks is underrated...I just think alot of people are concerned about his 40 time. That seems to be pretty inportant when it comes to corners. Its not everything, but its alot!

Not trying to be over critical. you have a great list. Just thought I would put my 2 pennies in...
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 it's not my list but I do totally agree with what you are saying. I had those same questions and I totally agree about Renfree from Duke.
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to drum up interest in drafting Renfree.

Also, turtle, please don't copy the entire list. Yes, I realize you skipped their analysis of each position, but the main reason someone would go to that site would be to see the list and then read the analyses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: